Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times

Advertisements

I just received a renewal notice over the weekend and my premium just went up by 40% from last year, no claim and no change in coverage. It seems they don't want me. Tomorrow, off I go searching for another one I guess....

So, you better over estimate than under. $1500 looks too small for the house of your parameters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 PM

323 posts, read 684,707 times
Just an update for anyone curious or in the same boat I am:

I've gotten several quotes for different companies, Citizens, FrontLine, and Tower Hill. Citizens is the cheapest, of course not covering the screen enclosure and a liability limit of only $100,000. I think the cheapest rate was $1900 for the year through them.

Tower Hill ranged from $2700 through one agent to $5800 through another...and the differences are not that great. The $5800 doesn't include the screen enclosure while the cheaper policy does...go figure

FrontLine is anywhere from $2200-$2800 depending on if we want to cover the enclosure and ultimately what discounts the Wind Mit report gives us. I'm still inquiring about a higher deductible, so we'll see what happens.

With everything I've heard about Citizens, it seems like we'd be smart to go with another reasonably priced company if they'll take us. I'm assuming Citizens would be a nightmare if the area got hit with a decent sized storm. Anyone disagree?

Edit: I guess I should have mentioned we're currently in the process of purchasing a particular property as opposed to just looking like when I started the thread. The home falls in the parameters I mentioned in my first post, and the roof is shingle not tile.

Last edited by druthb00; 11-03-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Sounds like a plan there. Over time you can replace windows to hurricane rated windows, get a little guy to get into your attic with dozens of "hurricane clips" and screws to tie all the joints together, replace the garage door or at least reinforce it, add an alarm system. All these things will make your house better to live in and also reduce your insurance costs due to your steps to do the mitigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Thanks everyone so far. I guess I'll have to contact a couple of agents this week to get an idea of what we're looking at. This is the website I've seen in the past that had me thinking maybe our premium wouldn't be too ridiculous: CHOICES - $150,000 Value - Pre-2001 Construction, it's amazing how different the rates are with "max. wind mitigation."

I know there are plenty of variables not factored into the example, but we plan on keeping deductibles relatively high and maximizing wind mitigation where reasonably possible (obviously down the road, not immediately.) I'm hoping staying in a non-flood zone and sticking with block construction will make a big difference.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM

210 posts, read 576,628 times
Stick with Citizens...A Florida taxpayer owned company. If the big one hits, taxpayers are on the hook anyway. No insurance co will have the money to cover a disaster. Make sure your home inspector includes the windmit and roof cert. Hip roofs and roof to wall attachments are your biggest credits. Roof coverings if permitted 2008 or later will add extra credit, impact windows or impact rated shutters are next. Sounds like your purchasing a newer home since that quote seems low, unless they have included the discounts.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sounds like a plan there. Over time you can replace windows to hurricane rated windows, get a little guy to get into your attic with dozens of "hurricane clips" and screws to tie all the joints together, replace the garage door or at least reinforce it, add an alarm system. All these things will make your house better to live in and also reduce your insurance costs due to your steps to do the mitigation.
That's exactly what I'm thinking All of those things need to be done, too, because we don't have hurricane clips and the garage door could use to be replaced as could the windows in the next few years. So by the time we need a new Wind Mit report thing done, maybe we can have those issues fixed.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Easier to remove the soffit and use a palm nailer Or when the roof needs replacement to do it then. New permitted roof with clips = 800 to 900.00 a year in savings

Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
With everything I've heard about Citizens, it seems like we'd be smart to go with another reasonably priced company if they'll take us. I'm assuming Citizens would be a nightmare if the area got hit with a decent sized storm. Anyone disagree?
I disagree 100%. Citizens is guaranteed to pay out claims, because they are backed by all other policyholders in the state (including non-Citizens policyholders) and the full authority of the State of Florida, which incidentally has one of the highest debt ratings of all the states. I don't mind paying a premium surcharge if there is a monster storm. I do mind if companies do not have the ability to pay out claims.

These fly-by-night companies trying to pick up Citizens policies are either poorly- or un-rated entities that will declare bankruptcy as soon as the big one hits, and then your claim will be settled years later for pennies on the dollar.

From a Q&A in the TBT:
"there are concerns about how the companies would fare handling claims after a large storm. Most of the companies are relatively young and have not faced a major hurricane. Another ratings agency, Weiss Ratings, gives four of the five poor ratings and did not rate the fifth because it is too new."

A Q&A for Citizens Property policyholders wondering: Should I stay or should I go? - Tampa Bay Times

Old 11-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I disagree 100%. Citizens is guaranteed to pay out claims, because they are backed by all other policyholders in the state (including non-Citizens policyholders) and the full authority of the State of Florida, which incidentally has one of the highest debt ratings of all the states. I don't mind paying a premium surcharge if there is a monster storm. I do mind if companies do not have the ability to pay out claims.

These fly-by-night companies trying to pick up Citizens policies are either poorly- or un-rated entities that will declare bankruptcy as soon as the big one hits, and then your claim will be settled years later for pennies on the dollar.

From a Q&A in the TBT:
"there are concerns about how the companies would fare handling claims after a large storm. Most of the companies are relatively young and have not faced a major hurricane. Another ratings agency, Weiss Ratings, gives four of the five poor ratings and did not rate the fifth because it is too new."

A Q&A for Citizens Property policyholders wondering: Should I stay or should I go? - Tampa Bay Times
Great post...Now if we can keep the politicians fingers out of the kitty....

3 Reasons Florida's Citizens Loan Plan Is Bad Idea

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

From a Q&A in the TBT:

Thank you for your input. I'd have to question the companies selected to take over some of the Citizens policies as well, but the companies I'm considering have been around since before the last major storm. FrontLine was licensed in FL in 1998 and Tower Hill in 1997; and for anyone who's interested, this is the website where you can look up any insurance company that's licensed in the state: http://www.floir.com/companysearch/index.aspx. Both companies have an "A" financial rating through Demotech (<< is this reputable? The website seems legitimate-enough, but I've never heard of it) as recently as August of this year.

That's a pretty hefty premium (up to 45%) to pay if we do get slammed, though. Not to mention, it won't be until after that premium hits 45% that everyone who doesn't have Citizens will be assessed.

Regardless, I see your point and we haven't taken out a policy as of now so I'm open to opinions/suggestions/etc.

Last edited by druthb00; 11-03-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
I insure monstrous costs (home, health) because the potential loss is a large percentage of my net worth. I only insure my car because I'm required to by law. All other "insurance" offers (home appliances, pet health, utility repairs, cell phone, etc) are essentially sucker's bets because the payout is capped at a very low level and the premium is way too high in relation to the tiny amount of coverage.

That said, any time I insure I will gladly pay to be convinced that the claim will actually be reimbursed. If my house is gone or I get cancer, I don't want shenanigans. I want to be fully compensated for the costs. If the goal is to save money, I can do that by choosing a high deductible, not by switching to a lower-rated insurer. My Citizens policy dropped almost 25% this year because my sinkhole odds are zero. Sinkhole-prone area premiums are finally starting to move toward reality.

Unfortunately,
1. Citizens policy prices are set by political will, not by any economic or actuarial means.
2. Citizens should be charging a premium, rather than a discount, compared to private insurers, because their policies are ultimately backed by the State.
3. If they were to charge "correct" prices for homeowners in sinkhole-prone areas, the prices would be obscene.
4. At these "correct" prices, private insurers would definitely enter the marketplace. They currently do not because the prices are being held artificially low.

Why don't they charge "correct" prices? See #1.

Last edited by chi_tino; 11-03-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay