U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM

32 posts, read 45,289 times

Advertisements

Looking for any schools that offer training in industrial machinery mechanics. PTEC is the only one I've come across so far. Does anyone know about the school or the IMM program there? how is their job placement upon finishing?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 AM

792 posts, read 2,105,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordao86 View Post
Looking for any schools that offer training in industrial machinery mechanics. PTEC is the only one I've come across so far. Does anyone know about the school or the IMM program there? how is their job placement upon finishing?
As far as I know, it's the only place around here that offers that type of specific training. But a better question is why on earth would you want to go into industrial mechanics?

Industrial mechanics in this area only make about $12-$15/hr. And that's with years of experience under your belt. If your fresh out of school, it's more like $10/hr.

I've been doing it for 20 years and it's one of those fields that's declining, not growing. Manufacturing is dying in America. Has been for a long time. That means there more guys like me than there are (decent paying) jobs.

Do a quick search on craigslist in the 'skilled trades' section or even check on monster.com or careerbuilder and you'll see that most employers in this area want someone who can hang the moon(welding, fabrication, electronics, plc's, hydraulics, pneumatics, 5-10yrs. exp., etc.) and yet, are only willing to offer about the same pay as someone who is an assistant manager at a fast food restaurant.

It's a sad commentary for the state of industrial mechanics in Florida and the country as a whole, but it is the way it is. We are a necessary evil and most employers look at us that way.That means paying as little as possible and expecting more than is humanly possible. And with the economy the way it is, they get it.

I have strongly encouraged my own kids to go into other lines of work. Don't do what I did.

If your young and ambitious and want to go to school, take something that will offer you a good standard of living.

Last edited by stpeteguy; 09-26-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,406 posts, read 4,648,930 times
At one time, Hillsborough County school's adult ed had a program at Aparicio-Levy, one of their training centers. It was supposed to feed into an A.A. Program at HCC, our local community college.

Might want to check the ALTC web site and see if it is still offered.

Having worked with a lot of folks in this area of work in my previous career, I would definitely discourage you from pursuing it, especially if you want to remain in Florida. There is little or no manufacturing here, so the job prospects are pretty dismal.

If you are looking for a trade along these lines, are young and willing to travel, go into a good certified welding program. Card-carrying welders are hard to come by, and command pretty decent salaries. If you are willing to travel, you'll do even better as there are lots of fabrication companies that have jobs all over.

Unless you have some sort of really unique skill in a manufacturing environment, you'll be hard pressed to find a decent job in that area.

Just my $0.02...

RM

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 45,289 times
Oh wow. Seemed like on job sited they were all offering 14-24/ hr depending on exp. I'm 26 and looking to get into some sort of trade...everything I look into seems to be dying off lol. My brotjer in law is a welder and couldn't find much work up in Michigan so I didn't really consider it....

Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM

792 posts, read 2,105,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordao86 View Post
Oh wow. Seemed like on job sited they were all offering 14-24/ hr depending on exp. I'm 26 and looking to get into some sort of trade...everything I look into seems to be dying off lol. My brotjer in law is a welder and couldn't find much work up in Michigan so I didn't really consider it....

School trained auto mechanics are very much in demand. I know one guy who works for a dealership and he makes good money(around $60K)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay