U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 17,120 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! Great forum here.

I'm a 36-year-old single male with a nine-year-old daughter relocating [back] to the St. Petersburg area. I lived in the area years ago, and I loved it. We have family all over the U.S., so we've been seeing them as much as we can, but now it's time to find a place to live and stop moving. We're choosing the St. Pete area.

I just have a couple questions about places to stay while we're looking for full-time living, as it has been a few years since I've been there:

We plan on staying in an extended-stay hotel for a month or so while we find a place. We love staying in hotels, but I need to make sure that the area is "safe" while we hunt for a home (and I'm not rich, so it can't be TOO pricey!...[I'm looking for $250/week or less]). And we have two cats. UGH.

I've called a few places, and I realize that I'M the one who needs to do the legwork regarding the prices, etc. But asking the hotels whether they are in a safe area is not a question I expect to be answered honestly by the hotels themselves.

So here are two options I have for places so far:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Budge...m&z=16&iwloc=A

AND:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Budge...g,+FL&t=m&z=15

^ (I hope those work for you...they're not showing up as links when I preview this post.)

Some of the reviews on TripAdvisor are horrible, but some are good. And I know how one thing can set someone off while staying at a hotel, so they can end up greatly exaggerating their bad review.

We are in the beginning stages of looking, and I'm incredibly terrible at putting things together when I first begin a project. So if I posted the wrong ones or if those hotels aren't even there anymore, my apologies!

My biggest concern is that the place we stay when we get there not be shady after dark.

Any suggestions and feedback will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,010,986 times
I'm not familiar with the two hotels you're asking about, but from my personal experience I would not recommend extended stay hotels, especially with a kid. They all seem to be shady after dark and sometimes during the day. Why not stay in a regular hotel for a few days or a week and try to find an apartment. With your $250 a week($1000 month) budget you should be able to find a decent apartment.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I'm not familiar with the two hotels you're asking about, but from my personal experience I would not recommend extended stay hotels, especially with a kid. They all seem to be shady after dark and sometimes during the day. Why not stay in a regular hotel for a few days or a week and try to find an apartment. With your $250 a week($1000 month) budget you should be able to find a decent apartment.
Thanks for the feedback, and you may be right.

Certain places I've been have had some decent extended-stay places, but I realize they may be the exception.

I'm looking for the easiest way possible of making the transition to Florida, and if there IS a "nice" weekly hotel, that would rule!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,010,986 times
When the extended stay concept was started years ago they were decent hotels, but now they seem to have a lot of shady full time residence. I think in Pinellas or Hillsborough counties you are going to see a lot of shady people in these places. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,663,994 times
If it is before now and the holidays, try vrbo.com I'm sure you can find a modest rental in a nice place that will take your cats (with a refundable or non refundable deposit) and you might really enjoy that too.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
If it is before now and the holidays, try vrbo.com I'm sure you can find a modest rental in a nice place that will take your cats (with a refundable or non refundable deposit) and you might really enjoy that too.
I'll check it out tonight -- thank you!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 AM

158 posts, read 202,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthon7609 View Post

We plan on staying in an extended-stay hotel for a month or so while we find a place. We love staying in hotels, but I need to make sure that the area is "safe" while we hunt for a home (and I'm not rich, so it can't be TOO pricey!...[I'm looking for $250/week or less]). And we have two cats. UGH.
At that price point I would look for an independent operator, a small family mom/pop operation. The chains and stuff you see on tripadvisor or hotels.com is pretty scary under 40 per day.

For example this one

Mosley Motels - St Petersburg, Florida

or

Sun Island Motel and Apartments - St. Petersburg Beach, Florida (accommodation, lodging, hotel, motel, accommodation)

I have no idea what they are like, just an example.

We went through similar circumstances and ended up paying more than we expected/budgeted to get a good combination of clean/safe. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
At that price point I would look for an independent operator, a small family mom/pop operation. The chains and stuff you see on tripadvisor or hotels.com is pretty scary under 40 per day.

For example this one

Mosley Motels - St Petersburg, Florida

or

Sun Island Motel and Apartments - St. Petersburg Beach, Florida (accommodation, lodging, hotel, motel, accommodation)

I have no idea what they are like, just an example.

We went through similar circumstances and ended up paying more than we expected/budgeted to get a good combination of clean/safe. Good luck with your move.

Wow, those prices are SO much better. I wasn't really even aware that these sort of places existed.

Thank you so much!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM

158 posts, read 202,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chthon7609 View Post
Wow, those prices are SO much better. I wasn't really even aware that these sort of places existed.

Thank you so much!
I hope it helps. I don't live out that way but I am sure someone could give a thumbs up or down who drive by these or other places everyday. They may be sketchy but someone should know.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,663,994 times
If this is the Mosley on 34th St near 5th Ave in St pete - wide berth recommended - very seedy
Although I was supposed to close down and if it has and is under new operators, it might be better
but I think it was a couple of months ago that it was in the news but for some kind of drowning accident I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or