Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

TAMPA, Fl (970 WFLA)-The city of Tampa has been rated as one of the best cities in the country to live.

Businessweek.com just released it's list of America's best cities and this year Tampa has made the cut. Out of 100 of the largest cities, Tampa is tied with Lincoln, Nebraska for 34th on the list.

Tampa is the only Florida city on the list. The article credits the city's strong nightlife and parks. Business Week based its findings on leisure, education, economic, crime and air quality.

San Francisco got the number one spot this year.

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
TAMPA, Fl (970 WFLA)-The city of Tampa has been rated as one of the best cities in the country to live.

Businessweek.com just released it's list of America's best cities and this year Tampa has made the cut. Out of 100 of the largest cities, Tampa is tied with Lincoln, Nebraska for 34th on the list.

Tampa is the only Florida city on the list. The article credits the city's strong nightlife and parks. Business Week based its findings on leisure, education, economic, crime and air quality.

San Francisco got the number one spot this year.

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek
Interesting list - at least they started by saying "It's impossible to say what's "best" for everyone, of course. But where's the fun in not trying?" That makes it a bit more credible than most of the useless lists that get published. A lot of nice photos, too. Congrats to Tampa!

Thanks for posting, BucFan.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM

What? No mention of our stripper bars?

===========

Tampa

Population: 340,509

The site of this year’s Republican National convention, Tampa is our only stop in Florida this year. Credit the city's strong nightlife and parks. Tampa has its own Busch Gardens, aquarium, and zoo. And with such nice weather, the city’s sports teams usually have plenty of tickets available for the sports fan, even if that doesn’t always look good on TV.

Bars: 91
Restaurants: 1,114
Museums: 18
Libraries: 19
Pro sports teams: 4
Park acres per 1,000 residents: 10
Colleges: 6
Percent with graduate degree: 7.5
Median household income: $55,039
Percent unemployed: 8.8

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
I've never lived in the Jax metro area, but I have lived in Miami, Orlando and now Tampa metro area. Of the three I've lived in, I like Tampa the best.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What? No mention of our stripper bars?

===========

Tampa

Population: 340,509

The site of this year’s Republican National convention, Tampa is our only stop in Florida this year. Credit the city's strong nightlife and parks. Tampa has its own Busch Gardens, aquarium, and zoo. And with such nice weather, the city’s sports teams usually have plenty of tickets available for the sports fan, even if that doesn’t always look good on TV.

Bars: 91
Restaurants: 1,114
Museums: 18
Libraries: 19
Pro sports teams: 4
Park acres per 1,000 residents: 10
Colleges: 6
Percent with graduate degree: 7.5
Median household income: $55,039
Percent unemployed: 8.8
In other words, the weather sucks and everybody stays at home in AC than cheering for their team . Just translating it in plain English .

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
thats interesting to see tampa at 34th on a best places list but what a bizarre list. check out the cities in the top 10, very odd. anchorage, omaha, st louis, cleveland, chesapeake, phoenix and scottsdale(basically one is a suburb of the other), and reno???? wow. why not just include gary-indiana, detroit, compton and a border town like el paso?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Joining to say Congrats Tampa!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
thats interesting to see tampa at 34th on a best places list but what a bizarre list. check out the cities in the top 10, very odd. anchorage, omaha, st louis, cleveland, chesapeake, phoenix and scottsdale(basically one is a suburb of the other), and reno???? wow. why not just include gary-indiana, detroit, compton and a border town like el paso?
You read the list backwards. Omaha is not in the top 10, though it should be.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
In other words, the weather sucks and everybody stays at home in AC than cheering for their team . Just translating it in plain English .
I was recently in SF and the only ticket I could get to their baseball team was standing room only $50. The last two days I sat in the air conditioned Tropicana Field near the opponent dugout for $30. That seat would cost hundreds in many stadiums. I'm pretty happy w/ our professional sports teams - and without them, I probably wouldn't have relocated here.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
How on EARTH did Washington DC get Number 3 spot?!? Ok, San Fran as No 1., certainly... been there many times, loved it. But DC as No. 3? No way. Wait until it snows here, and they don't plow and you have to drive downtown... a truly special treat.

Tampa should have been further up in the list, IMHO... and I've either lived in or visited half the cities on the list...

Chesapeake is lovely, and Va. Beach is nice... but not a "city" in the same terms as Tampa, Baltimore, Dallas, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay