Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Totally agree with this. St. Pete also has nice laid-back beaches with cool places to eat, etc. I'd skip Hyde Park Village, not much there. Ybor can also be fun to walk around and have a drink - very historic area.
Thx for steering me in the right direction. Is SoHo worth checking out? Sounds interesting on paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thx for steering me in the right direction. Is SoHo worth checking out? Sounds interesting on paper
If you have time it might be worth checking out. How long will you be in the area? Anyway, here is a little website describing it:

Guide to Tampa’s SoHo District | DIVE IN Tampa Bay

Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,053 times
SOHO can be a cool place to check out, just be prepared for a lot of attitude. Lots of cool restaurants and bars. but also a lot of frat boy attitude from guys. their yuppies though, so they can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. The girls are Beautiful, but they are straight up looking for cash and have a bit of "I'm the hottest thing here" attitude.
If you can stay out the drama, you'll have a great time.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM

571 posts, read 790,604 times
Also, maybe consider a different beach locale than Clearwater Beach (really tacky in my opinion), Pass-A-Grille is much more charming. Indian Rocks Beach is really nice and laid back, not as built up and crowded as Clearwater Beach. There's a great seafood restaurant called Keegans right across the road from a beach access.

And for nightlife, St Pete is definitely more stroll-able and laid back, South Tampa might be more difficult to bar-hop but there are more high-end type places.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Thanks again for all of the responses! Just wanted to give a quick trip report on my visit to Tampa Bay.

Arrived on late afternoon Friday and had some good fish and chips at The Moon Under Water in Downtown St. Petersburg. Was nice to be able to sit outside and people watch. It was only after we noticed all of the Romney buttons and T-shirts did we realize that Mitt Romney had just spoken at the nearby pier. LOL After dinner we walked over to the First Friday event on Central Ave. and hung out for a bit (Thank you, mystpete)

Later that evening we drove out to Ybor City to check out the nightlife. What a random crowd .........It was ghetto fabulous, fratboy central and trashy, all at the same time. People watching at its finest.

The next morning we headed back to Ybor and hit the Farmer's Market. Gotta say we were pretty disappointed. I love Farmer's Markets, but this wasn't very big or good. Still managed to buy a few things, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Took everyone's advice and headed to the beaches south of Tampa. Went to St. Pete Beach, which was very nice. The water felt amazing. My biggest complaint was the lack of waves. I knew they would be small, but they were pretty much non-existant. I like to bodysurf, and let's just say, I didn't really know what to do with myself while I was in the water. It felt like I was at the pool.

Also did some random driving around town. Drove downtown to the Channelside District. What's up with that place? There was no one there. It took us less than 10 minutes to see it all. On the way back to my hotel, we drove along Bayshore Blvd, which was great. Loved views of city and the homes along the water.

Checked out Hyde Park Village, which seemed quite charming, but where were all the people? Also drove up and down South Howard Ave. and didn't see much going on there. I'm guessing it's busy during the weekend? Decided to have our last meal in town at Lemon Grass Thai Kitchen on Kennedy, which was quite good.

All and all, had a nice time in Tampa. Off to Key West and Miami tomorrow!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,102 times
HA, you're observations were pretty spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thanks again for all of the responses! Just wanted to give a quick trip report on my visit to Tampa Bay.

Arrived on late afternoon Friday and had some good fish and chips at The Moon Under Water in Downtown St. Petersburg. Was nice to be able to sit outside and people watch. It was only after we noticed all of the Romney buttons and T-shirts did we realize that Mitt Romney had just spoken at the nearby pier. LOL After dinner we walked over to the First Friday event on Central Ave. and hung out for a bit (Thank you, mystpete)

Later that evening we drove out to Ybor City to check out the nightlife. What a random crowd .........It was ghetto fabulous, fratboy central and trashy, all at the same time. People watching at its finest. - You really summed up the typical Ybor crowd pretty well

The next morning we headed back to Ybor and hit the Farmer's Market. Gotta say we were pretty disappointed. I love Farmer's Markets, but this wasn't very big or good. Still managed to buy a few things, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Took everyone's advice and headed to the beaches south of Tampa. Went to St. Pete Beach, which was very nice. The water felt amazing. My biggest complaint was the lack of waves. I knew they would be small, but they were pretty much non-existant. I like to bodysurf, and let's just say, I didn't really know what to do with myself while I was in the water. It felt like I was at the pool.- Gulf beaches do not have many waves at all. You would have to hop over to the East Coast Atlantic beaches for bigger waves.

Also did some random driving around town. Drove downtown to the Channelside District. What's up with that place?- Its pretty much wasted space and a missed opportunity. Its dead. It has a lot of potential and may be revamped or revitalized in the future. Hopefully. There was no one there. It took us less than 10 minutes to see it all. On the way back to my hotel, we drove along Bayshore Blvd, which was great. Loved views of city and the homes along the water. Bayshore Blvd is beautiful and one of Tampa's prized areas.

Checked out Hyde Park Village, which seemed quite charming, but where were all the people? At home, work, somewhere, anywhere but there. I hardly see any areas around Tampa that are bustiling with people. Hyde Park is pretty dead in the sense as well and is largely a residential area with a few hot spots (clubs). Tampa doesnt have streets bustling with people and energy. I wish it did. Also drove up and down South Howard Ave. and didn't see much going on there. I'm guessing it's busy during the weekend? Yes, the weekends tend to be busier at the clubs but not necessarily in the streets. Decided to have our last meal in town at Lemon Grass Thai Kitchen on Kennedy, which was quite good.

All and all, had a nice time in Tampa. Off to Key West and Miami tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay