Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM

82 posts, read 207,274 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I know we have the positive relocation thread but a lot of the posters don't say where they have moved. I'm looking to get input from folks that recently relocated to Brandon and/or Wesley Chapel. What are your likes and dislikes and do you like the areas in general as far as safety, schools, neighborhoods in general. Lots of folks usually ask about areas and then never give input when they actually make the move to give an update. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
greatschools.net
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
//www.city-data.com/so/so-Brandon-Florida.html
//www.city-data.com/so/so-Wesle...l-Florida.html

Both are large subdivisions depersonalized with strip malls. There isn't much to talk about. If you're into "privacy", your own lot etc both can fit that bill.

Well, that's because now they're all busy driving large amounts of time to get anywhere from both those paces...or are out exploring surrounding areas etc...I am kidding...but I may not be too far from the truth...all though honestly I agree with you that all these ppl asking questions should come back and tell us what they think now that they moved here.
Quote:
I know we have the positive relocation thread but a lot of the posters don't say where they have moved
I am not opposed to positive threads, but I would like it that when people ask us about the "positives" they keep in mind that what is positive for me may not be positive for you....and if you move here based on MY positives you may be very disappointed!

Are you planning to visit before moving? it would be a great idea, because I would not live in either one of those areas...ever... for example...for "me" both are too far from the beach...and there is no entertainment available besides the occasional movie theater in a mall.

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Are you planning to visit before moving? it would be a great idea, because I would not live in either one of those areas...ever.
Hi Algia, thanks for the response. I've been traveling to the area on business since May for about 2 weeks at a time. I'm going to be down there in a few days for about 3 weeks as well. My biggest concern is schooling for my son who is still a toddler, and safety for him and my wife. I don't mind the cookie cutter houses and I also don't mind the planned communities. To me that means that they will have a playground and activities where my wife and son can meet new people and make friends. It's not important for the beach to be close. It is more important to have a nice safe house and a little bit of a backyard. I plan on actually looking at rentals during this trip and potentially pulling the trigger. We leave near nothing right now so having to drive somewhere to do something is no big deal. Plus, for the price, you can't beat the size of the house you get in WC and Brandon compared to places like Safety Harbor and Dunedin etc.

I agree, it annoys me when folks don't post updates on how they are making out in their new town.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi,

You're welcome.

THIS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
To me that means that they will have a playground and activities where my wife and son can meet new people and make friends.
Will be VERY hard to find in a sub division here. I never meet anyone because the other people living here either have their kids in school, or daycare, or are spending the day at different parks.

Closer to the beaches in Pinellas Country actually you will find more kids playing during business hours (if I can put it that way...LOL) because that's where the grandparents live...BUT you have to search long and hard to find a place that has that. Some subdivisions are more the "outgoing" type, and some are really "closed in"...as in where ppl feel pain to say "Hello"!

Check out Westchase...I passed through there yesterday on Linebaugh Rd, and around (a little before/after) Montague Rd I saw a lot of kids playing, some in a daycare place, and some on a playground within a subdivision. Check that area out, it is closer to more amenities, has nice homes, good schools, and is clean. Drive on Linebaugh Rd, and check out both sides, I think you'll really like it there per your description.

BTW What criteria have you used so far to come up with WC and Brandon? (you drove through? or....?)

Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
BTW What criteria have you used so far to come up with WC and Brandon? (you drove through? or....?)
I drove through WC and liked the community of Heritage Isles. Looked like a huge community pool and playground. I also drove up BBD through Tampa Palms and liked a lot of the neighborhoods. I actually did drive down Linebaugh once heading to the coast. Westchase looked very nice. After reading some of the other threads on here, it seems like a great place even if I am considered an outcast for renting for a year there. You know, the owners of properties looking down on someone if you are a renter. Doesn't matter that I probably make twice the amount of money, and am just relocating and figuring out where I want to live. Ok, enough of that rant.

Again, one of the things I am looking at is the amount of house for the money as well. yeah, I could rent in Westchase for $1500 a month and be in a 3/2 type place with 1400sq ft. Or I could live in WC for $1500 and have a 2000sq ft home and probably have my own pool and two car garage.

The other criteria is that it seemed to be the consensus that WC has very good schools.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
Great observation tights24. I think you nailed it.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Why would people look down on tenants? I have tenants in my investment in Seven Oaks and I bet you that most neighbors have no clue they are renters. They treat it like they own it!

When tenant make it look like a "rental" it usually is because they don't care or the LL hasn't informed them about the HOA rules and regulations and just cares about getting it rented.

I live in WC for 7 yrs now and still love the area and if I look back at the chances and improvements over the yrs than I can only be happy!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times
Been living in brandon (closer to the side of Valrico) for 2.5 years. While i'm not a fan of florida, I am a fan of my neighborhood. Definitely makes it bearable for us while we stay here. I rarely have a need to even go into Tampa. I maybe drive into tampa once every 2-3 months.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Why would people look down on tenants? I have tenants in my investment in Seven Oaks and I bet you that most neighbors have no clue they are renters. They treat it like they own it!
Because people are stupid...here's a better example, the house we rent looks better than a few that are owned on the same street! It has to do with HOW one wants to live! not with one's ability to buy! It also has to do with personal education, and common sense.

Rezfreak: you are missing out a lot...really...(not on Tampa necessarily, but the Gulf all together).

OP: What else do you want to do here? I am asking because I am not one for the larger spaces/stay in the house a lot, I rather have a smaller place that can be easily maintained, spend less on gas to get places, and be closer to civilization, entertainment, beaches, Gulf Coast all together (without living directly on it) etc)...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
What else do you want to do here?
No idea to be honest. We have to be in the area for a bit of time before we really know what there IS to do ya know? Right now I live in a 2000sqft. We have a baby on the way in March and while we have enough room now, we would like something at least this large in the future. With kids, as most know, it's nice to be able to let them "run around" in the house on rainy days and hot days when you don't want to be outside. We also have a 3.5 year old.

Bottom line, safe neighborhood and good schools are paramount. Also understand we live in the boonies now with only a grocery store within 5 miles. Malls, shopping, etc are a minimum of 25 minutes. the beach is 2 hours. Driving places to do things is no big deal for us. What IS a big deal is being able to walk to a playground, park, pool, that type of thing from the house and feel safe when doing so.

I do agree about the renters. It really wouldn't matter if they were renting or if they owned it. The folks that have good upkeep have it in a rental or a home and vice versa. Bentlebee, you are correct, most don't know who is renting and who isn't. it's just some of the posts here in the tampa forum that started that "rant".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay