Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I detest Brighthouse. It was either them or direct TV, and the latter was too much for what you get, imo. I'm waiting for Verizon to finally get FIOS going here, and we will go with them.

I have had the same experience as the above poster who says they add a few bucks here and there and refuse to work with you. But, worse than that, my internet goes out for brief periods during the day. Just a minute or so. Maybe that doesn't matter for many people, but my livelihood has me on line a good deal of the day, and losing service for a brief time screws things up for up to 20 minutes. I'm thinking of sending them a bill for lost income.
have you had a tech out to look into the issue?

If you want some assistance with that send me a PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdonnel1 View Post
I tried getting DirecTv but my apartment balcony was facing the wrong direction. I thought this was 2012, absolutely ridiculous you can only be facing one way...I now have Brighthouse and have internet, phone and cable with them for about $108 a month with the sports pass and 2 HD Boxes. Directv was a way better deal. Second best package was $55 and came with NFL ticket, free HD DVR, free HD box and Stars Showtime HBO and Cinemax for free for 3 months.

I would def choose FIOS over Brighthouse though. I didn't because I figured I would just need internet and Brighthouse was much cheaper for just internet. Now I am stuck with Brighthouse's triple play bundle.
how are you "stuck" with it? There are no contracts with the service..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Brighthouse and DirecTV are both bad, I have had both. If you are going satellite, be prepared for a LOT of down time when it rains. Awful. As others have said Brighthouse is super expensive, and honestly the stuff on TV is crap.

I would really like to do what FloridaKash has done, but my husband is reluctant. But I'm definitely heading in that direction. Verizon has terrible customer service also.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
have you had a tech out to look into the issue?

If you want some assistance with that send me a PM.
Yes, I've had someone here. The last time was just a few days ago. The guy told me my signal was fine and he only saw one "red line" on his equipment (meaning when the service was interrupted, I guess). He suggested it was my router. Since then, when it happens I check to see if the phones go out as well, and they do, so it isn't my router. It has to be the service. Not sure what to do next, since it's still happening.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM

149 posts, read 259,742 times
Default Alternate media sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I would really like to do what FloridaKash has done, but my husband is reluctant. But I'm definitely heading in that direction. Verizon has terrible customer service also.
Do try it.

Hulu plus, Amazon VOD are the ones I use with a WD media player too. All the shows are available and movies you can choose. Cable/dish channels seem to serve up the same movies over and over after a while. I got tired of paying for that.

It just doesn't make sense anymore to pay so much for cable or dish TV when there are so many alternate media sources through your internet connection.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
Do try it.

Hulu plus, Amazon VOD are the ones I use with a WD media player too. All the shows are available and movies you can choose. Cable/dish channels seem to serve up the same movies over and over after a while. I got tired of paying for that.

It just doesn't make sense anymore to pay so much for cable or dish TV when there are so many alternate media sources through your internet connection.
for now.. untill they really start hurting the big providers, then the deep pockets of the big guys will either put them out of business, buy them up or make them pay the same re-trans fee's that they have to pay and send the cost right to you

Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Brighthouse and DirecTV are both bad, I have had both. If you are going satellite, be prepared for a LOT of down time when it rains. Awful. As others have said Brighthouse is super expensive, and honestly the stuff on TV is crap.

PM me if you want more details on how to do this. A Roku by itself is great for Amazon VOD, Netlifx and or HuluPLus. But you can get a lot more content by using some other 'Channels' available for your Roku.

Let's put it this way. When we go to a hotel that has cable.... we miss our Roku's at home. Yeah that's right... we have 3.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM

170 posts, read 206,054 times
I was all set to switch TV to Direct TV and then the lies came about. Be careful, question everything they say and demand it in writing... I stayed with Brighthouse.

At work, I have Verizon FIOS, no problems so far...

Speaking of Verizon, including their wireless phones. The main thing with Verizon is that in my experience, they are a gray company at best... They will definitely try to slip extra charges, so you need to read their contracts carefully and watch your bills... If you do have a problem, best for resolution is to go to Verizon and get face to face with someone...

Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 AM

75 posts, read 251,664 times
I have Verizon Fios and pay $94 a month for tv, net and phone. I had Brighthouse before at my last home and it sucked, it would go out all the time.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
If you don't want to be a subscriber to the signal providers, get an antenna. There are quite a few over the air stations in the Tampa area. Over the Air Digital TV is not like the old analog. Then you can do like Cash does and just sub to the internet and get the rest of it via internet. What a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay