Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking into moving to the Tampa Bay area in 6 months and want to rent a "luxury apartment". I write "luxury apt" because there always seems to be bad reviews in each one that I google. I come from a Brooklyn apartment (lived there my whole 28 years on this earth) so I've had my fair share of noisy neighbors, maintenance never coming to do their job, etc. etc. I'm use to it, but I'd still like the opportunity to not be completely disappointed in my moving decision (and having to go to my fathers house in St. Petersburg).
I'm looking for a safe community not so far from the nightlife, I'm not a party animal so I don't have to be that close. Any suggestions on neighborhoods or Apt communities (would be more helpful)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,416 times
I'm making the same move, and I'm moving to downtown st Pete. Maybe I'm wrong, but I picture st Pete to be like Brooklyn where downtown Tampa is more like manhattan.

I'll be moving the end of November so I will post updates if you or anyone else are interested.

Getting excited!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezirah View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking into moving to the Tampa Bay area in 6 months and want to rent a "luxury apartment". I write "luxury apt" because there always seems to be bad reviews in each one that I google. I come from a Brooklyn apartment (lived there my whole 28 years on this earth) so I've had my fair share of noisy neighbors, maintenance never coming to do their job, etc. etc. I'm use to it, but I'd still like the opportunity to not be completely disappointed in my moving decision (and having to go to my fathers house in St. Petersburg).
I'm looking for a safe community not so far from the nightlife, I'm not a party animal so I don't have to be that close. Any suggestions on neighborhoods or Apt communities (would be more helpful)? Thanks!
Depends on your budget, I assume you want a 2/2 if you can go to 2k/2.5k to 3k a month then I would look at a building on Bayshore Blvd, I have a friend who rents at 345 Bayshore, she loves it, although i have heard other people say its overpriced and meh for the money. Cheaper but similar would be Harbour island.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
I read this comment before, and please don't make that assumption, you will be highly disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I picture st Pete to be like Brooklyn where downtown Tampa is more like manhattan.
Do post after you move, so we know what you think though.

Regarding "luxury apartments"....well, "price" will not assure quite in any apartment around here. If you want to NOT be bothered by noisy neighbors I suggest you avoid "apartment complexes" all together, and rent a condo.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
I'm making the same move, and I'm moving to downtown st Pete. Maybe I'm wrong, but I picture st Pete to be like Brooklyn where downtown Tampa is more like manhattan.

I'll be moving the end of November so I will post updates if you or anyone else are interested.

Getting excited!
Downtown St. Pete is beautiful, and I think you will enjoy living there. There is more to do there believe it or not than downtown Tampa. Downtown St. Pete is very walkable and features the third largest waterfront park in North America, behind only Chicago and Vancouver. Here is a nice article about it:

Downtown St. Petersburg parks and architecture | Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times

Tampa does look and feel more "urban", but it is mostly a business center, with not a lot of nightlife right in downtown per se. Bayshore Blvd. is a nice long waterfront for jogging, etc. but it is not a park. Also, I think women will prefer the St. Pete downtown. If you like more artsy/bohemian, St. Pete is your place. If you like more urban (with proximity to Ybor's nightlife) and a few other entertainment districts, Tampa might be the better fit.

Welcome to the area and hope this helps!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,614 times
Yeah, I lived in St. Pete ten years ago for a year and a half, I moved back for stupid reasons and regret it all the time. I should have just stayed there. good luck with the move.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM

315 posts, read 652,089 times
Quote:
...I picture st Pete to be like Brooklyn where downtown Tampa is more like manhattan.
LOL!!! Dont get your hopes up kiddo.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Downtown St. Pete is beautiful, and I think you will enjoy living there. There is more to do there believe it or not than downtown Tampa. Downtown St. Pete is very walkable and features the third largest waterfront park in North America, behind only Chicago and Vancouver. Here is a nice article about it:

Downtown St. Petersburg parks and architecture | Tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times

Tampa does look and feel more "urban", but it is mostly a business center, with not a lot of nightlife right in downtown per se. Bayshore Blvd. is a nice long waterfront for jogging, etc. but it is not a park. Also, I think women will prefer the St. Pete downtown. If you like more artsy/bohemian, St. Pete is your place. If you like more urban (with proximity to Ybor's nightlife) and a few other entertainment districts, Tampa might be the better fit.

Welcome to the area and hope this helps!
Thank you! I have been browsing the websites provided by the city on the activities and I was impressed how much there is to do there. I'm disappointed that I'm missing Oktoberfest, that looks like a lot of fun. I also like the fact that I can jump on a trolley and get to places without having to drive.

To the other posters, I know that St. Pete isn't Brooklyn, but if we are describing St. Pete as an artsy, bohemian neighborhood with the activities going on there, that was Williamsburg 10 years ago before it blew up and before it cost $2200 a month to live there in a studio apt. I opted to live in St. Pete vs more urban downtown Tampa because I was looking for something a little more laid back. I lived in manhattan for a few years and although it was fun, I'm over it on a full time basis. That being said, I would still like to check out ybor and downtown Tampa nightlife, and if I feel after my year lease is up that Tampa is a better fit, then I'll move there.

While I'm nervous about the change, I also welcome it, and to make the best of it. I will update when I get there and hopefully I can be of assistance to the OP and anyone else thinking about moving.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
St Pete trolley map:
Page Title

I suggest you look at that map. It is very restrictive, and you can only get around downtown, and Pass A Grille.

Same goes for the one in Tampa:
Streetcar Maps

This is NOT considered public transportation per say (or NYC Style), not in the least. They both cover very small areas. You need a car here.

IF you live and work downtown, then you can use it, otherwise it is only a weekend attraction.

Quote:
I also like the fact that I can jump on a trolley and get to places without having to drive.

I agree with Gypsy that St Pete is much more lively than Tampa (by a long shot), just don't expect it to be NYC. Its about 5% of that.
Quote:
To the other posters, I know that St. Pete isn't Brooklyn, but if we are describing St. Pete as an artsy, bohemian neighborhood with the activities going on there, that was Williamsburg 10 years ago before it blew up and before it cost $2200 a month to live there in a studio apt. I opted to live in St. Pete vs more urban downtown Tampa because I was looking for something a little more laid back. I lived in manhattan for a few years and although it was fun, I'm over it on a full time basis. That being said, I would still like to check out ybor and downtown Tampa nightlife, and if I feel after my year lease is up that Tampa is a better fit, then I'll move there.

While I'm nervous about the change, I also welcome it, and to make the best of it. I will update when I get there and hopefully I can be of assistance to the OP and anyone else thinking about moving.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
The St. Pete trolleys are definitely nice. If you are living downtown, you can go all over downtown on the Looper, and the Central Ave. one goes to the beach. So while they are "restrictive", it's a lot more than most cities in Florida have. Living downtown, you don't need to drive your car as much if you do not wish to, between the trolleys and the walkable lifestyle there.

I am a Florida native (born in Tampa) and I love St. Pete. We live in Sarasota now, and Sarasota and St. Pete are our two favorite cities in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay