Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 28,348 times

Advertisements

Hey if Tampa area is small, then I guess being the 17th largest metro area in the u.s. is nothing. You can take the whole metro area of Jacksonville & New Orleans & it would still be smaller than the Tampa metro. But Tampa is small, lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Tampa Bay be the best metro area in the eastern U.S.?

Somebody needs to put down the "pipe".

Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
What is wrong with being tiny? That is a wonderful thing!
That's not what she said?!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeys285 View Post
Hey if Tampa area is small, then I guess being the 17th largest metro area in the u.s. is nothing. You can take the whole metro area of Jacksonville & New Orleans & it would still be smaller than the Tampa metro. But Tampa is small, lol!!
Tampa is actually 18th when you talk about metro population. New Orleans is 46th.
List of metropolitan statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tampa itself is the 53rd most populous city in the US. New Orleans is 51st.
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're going by land size, Tampa is 83rd. New Orleans is 50th.
List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Size wise and population it is here, how productive it is - that another matter- We need the higher paying jobs and good money to DEVELOP and upgrade what is already here. I would really beef up the code enforcement, people, that would force Tampa to "look" better. Clean-up streets and business areas. It could do better , why stay the same? it's sad when you see Channelside going down- and more empty stores and restaurants. I hear ST. Pete night life is getting better. You want your kids to do better, why not your town? Improve what we have, and people keep coming , so forget "tiny"

Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 9,914 times
Short answer, no.

The climate is terrific (if you can tolerate the humidity in the summer), but that's about it. It bears repeating, but Tampa is not St. Pete/Clearwater. To get to the nearest white sand beach is a 45 minute drive. Drivers here are rude and obnoxious. The traffic is horrendous. The food culture is non-existent, despite the fact that you can grow things year round here. The past few years have seen some improvement restaurant-wise (The Refinery, etc.) The music scene is dead - show me the nearest jazz club. There is none.

As a bastion of class and grace, Tampa has a huge Confederate flag fluttering in the breeze at the junction of I-4 and 75. Very welcoming. The claim to fame for Tampa is what, Ybor City and Channelside? Both are pathetic. Busch Garden? Why don't I just drive an hour to Orlando for some real theme parks. Things are done half-assed in Tampa because no one gives a crap. The medical care is abysmal, and it's impossible to find a decent primary care physician. People here are shallow and superficial, but without the real sense to do it right. Tries to be Miami and LA, but without the glamour. For a fine example of this, hang out at the bar at Ocean Prime on a Friday night. Public transit is a joke, and there's hardly any worthwhile green space within the city limit. Schools are laughable, unless you live in South Tampa and send your kids to Plant, Wilson.

There's definitely potential here, but the people here have no foresight and no vision for this city. It will always be a second class city. Always trying too hard. It lacks a soul. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM

325 posts, read 441,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTampaDouche View Post
Short answer, no.

The climate is terrific (if you can tolerate the humidity in the summer), but that's about it. It bears repeating, but Tampa is not St. Pete/Clearwater. To get to the nearest white sand beach is a 45 minute drive. Drivers here are rude and obnoxious. The traffic is horrendous. The food culture is non-existent, despite the fact that you can grow things year round here. The past few years have seen some improvement restaurant-wise (The Refinery, etc.) The music scene is dead - show me the nearest jazz club. There is none.

As a bastion of class and grace, Tampa has a huge Confederate flag fluttering in the breeze at the junction of I-4 and 75. Very welcoming. The claim to fame for Tampa is what, Ybor City and Channelside? Both are pathetic. Busch Garden? Why don't I just drive an hour to Orlando for some real theme parks. Things are done half-assed in Tampa because no one gives a crap. The medical care is abysmal, and it's impossible to find a decent primary care physician. People here are shallow and superficial, but without the real sense to do it right. Tries to be Miami and LA, but without the glamour. For a fine example of this, hang out at the bar at Ocean Prime on a Friday night. Public transit is a joke, and there's hardly any worthwhile green space within the city limit. Schools are laughable, unless you live in South Tampa and send your kids to Plant, Wilson.

There's definitely potential here, but the people here have no foresight and no vision for this city. It will always be a second class city. Always trying too hard. It lacks a soul. It doesn't know what it wants to be.
I agree 100% and include Pinellas, Pasco as well!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Short answer, no.
The music scene is dead - show me the nearest jazz club. There is none.

Sure there is.....

Fox Jazz Cafe

Also "the blue martini"

There are several others.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
As a bastion of class and grace, Tampa has a huge Confederate flag fluttering in the breeze at the junction of I-4 and 75. Very welcoming.
I don't understand why people always blame the City of Tampa for that flag when it's being flown on private property?! I also don't understand why it would be such a huge detraction for the city? There is a row of confederate flags flying along I-75 near the FL/GA border, no complaints about that.

There are huge confederate flags flying in most southern cities from Atlanta to Nashville, Charlotte to New Orleans. There's a huge monument in South Nashville that has Nathan Bedford on horseback with I believe it's 13 confederate flags surrounding it, right along I-65.

Florida was a Southern State, it's a part of the states history and always will be.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
I agree. It certainly is not a "tampa" thing.

Florida STILL IS a southern state. Always will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I don't understand why people always blame the City of Tampa for that flag when it's being flown on private property?! I also don't understand why it would be such a huge detraction for the city? There is a row of confederate flags flying along I-75 near the FL/GA border, no complaints about that.

There are huge confederate flags flying in most southern cities from Atlanta to Nashville, Charlotte to New Orleans. There's a huge monument in South Nashville that has Nathan Bedford on horseback with I believe it's 13 confederate flags surrounding it, right along I-65.

Florida was a Southern State, it's a part of the states history and always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay