Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,540 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Tampa area for work and I am looking at rentals in Tampa, Clearwater, and St. Pete areas. The research I have done has shown there are heavy crime areas and since I am not familiar with the area it is hard to pin point the best location to live in. Ideally I would live in an area with a younger crowd and with activities going on. I also love the beach environment so living near/around a beach community would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
Where is your job located? What price range are you looking?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
younger crowd=south tampa in hillsborough county (south of kennedy and north of el prado) and in pinellas county downtown st pete (east of 4th) or old NE, Feather sound areas. Younger working people generally dont live near the beach.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
It's important that you give an idea of where your job will be, so people can tell you which areas are good to live closest to where you will work.
And I agree, most young people do not live in the areas closest to the beaches. You can always drive to the beach when you are not working.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,540 times
The problem is I am not sure of the locations of my job as they are new properties acquired by my company. I just know they are in the Tampa area. I would like to stay around 700-800 a month if possible. Even if younger people do not live near the beaches, what areas have a younger demographic but relatively close to beaches?

I really just want a safe area, that has things and places to go.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
You can live downtown St Pete...but the beach is still about 10 miles from there...or an hour considering that all the roads are stop and go with lots of stop lights. However, I don't think that budget will get you downtown...that budget is usually found in non-desirable areas. The closer you get to the beach the more expensive even tiny shacks become.

THAT:
Quote:
I really just want a safe area, that has things and places to go.
You can ONLY find in Sarasota on this coast.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You can live downtown St Pete...but the beach is still about 10 miles from there...or an hour considering that all the roads are stop and go with lots of stop lights. However, I don't think that budget will get you downtown...that budget is usually found in non-desirable areas. The closer you get to the beach the more expensive even tiny shacks become.

THAT:

So on the whole Tampa metro area no safe areas that are close to a beach? I don't know whether to challenge your definition of safe areas or "close to the beach", surely you can just read your statement to yourself and see how absurd that sounds.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 AM

That is NOT what I said.

The OP is looking for "young", "safe", and "close to the beach" all in one sentence for $7-800 a MONTH!?!

There are plenty of safe areas by the beach, they include well guarded expensive condo's, and Mediterranean mansions! THAT is what is closer to the beaches, and of course the all Floridian trailer parks! that are NOT occupied of "young/vibrant" people! I don't know how you live here and don't know that there are no condos renting for $700 close to the beach in an area that's not section 8/crack town! Someone suggested those apartments on 4th street, and I can second that....however, those are nowhere nears the beach...and I can't speak for the crowds that live there...the OP will have to do FOOT re-search to understand what we're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
So on the whole Tampa metro area no safe areas that are close to a beach? I don't know whether to challenge your definition of safe areas or "close to the beach", surely you can just read your statement to yourself and see how absurd that sounds.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

THAT:

This is really bad advice.

Downtown St. Pete/Old Northeast is 15-20 minutes to the beach, not an hour. There's also a small but active beach on the bay (at 12th Ave NE). It's not nearly as nice as the gulf, but it's in the neighborhood, so you end up using it a lot more than you'd think. $700-800/mo is more than enough to get into the neighborhood, though you're talking small apartment building or duplex, not high-end high rise.

Sarasota is not a good spot for a young professional. It's a much older crowd. Downtown Sarasota is not in a beach community, either. It's only 5 minutes to the beach, though. More generally, there aren't any young professional beach communities in the bay area. If there were one, I'd live there. St. Pete is the closest thing we have to one.

The other poster had it right: the two young professional neighborhoods here are downtown St. Pete/Old NE and South Tampa. There are plenty of posts here comparing those two areas that are worth searching. I'd figure out where work is before picking between them, as commute times could be very different, depending on where work is.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM

90% of my clients are in St Pete, so I drive that quite a lot, and at what time? cause from exit 28(sorry) to Redington Beach it took me almost 50 minutes...stop and go...I thought I'd never get there...

But yeah...find out exactly where you'd be because traffic is heavy down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Downtown St. Pete/Old Northeast is 15-20 minutes to the beach, not an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay