Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,062,234 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I had a narrow escape or not with this. I have a couple of rental properties and one is a beach location and I have short term lets, weekly, by the month and so forth. I have been renting this since the mid nineties and over the years one picks up 'clues' from emails, without even talking to the potential renters. Over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have had emails off a person, always the same and started to get a little irritated because they didn't respond to my quotes, or didn't appear to, as another same email would come asking about same time. Anyway, I realize that folks can email many opportunities and forget who, so I patiently responded. The incoming date was imminent, so I advised them that I had to have cash, not check, and dont do credit card payments so close either (in case they are fraudulent). On Monday I had a phone call from the person, on a relatively local area phone number. I asked where she was coming from, she didnt' answer, but said she was in Sarasota area. This made me suspicious as they had said she was coming from Canada. Also didn't sound Canadian, not that only Canadians with 'canadian accents' live there. These two things alone didn't really add up to anything. The person started asking me specific things about address of property and so forth as she said she wanted to go and see it first. Now as this was two days away and they were having to drive to see it, I thought it a little odd, but thought 'oh well'. Gave her a broad street address and said I'd fill her in on the address when she was in area and I could meet her. She then asked me if it was ok if it was ok if she arrived late on the check in day, and I said (now thinking this was fishy) 'yes that's fine, I will meet you'. She said she would phone back the day before arrival at a specific time to confirm details. At this point I thought it was odd, nothing concrete yet,but hairs tingling abit. So I started googling around and found.... mugshot of person same name, violent assault/robbery. Now might not be same person, but not a common name, and given address - not exactly Sarasota area, but not that far away in the State of FL. I could be paranoid, but was not taking any chances. Emailed said person and advised the rental had been taken. I'd rather lose the rental....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 AM

503 posts, read 768,513 times
Listen to your intuition. Or bring someone with you - Chuck Norris preferably!! You can never be to cautious.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,389,745 times
Always go with your gut.
Good call!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,590,431 times
Whoa! That is scary. I'm glad you didn't go!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,248,174 times
Background check from now on?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,872 times
I couldnt follow much of that story at all.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,537,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I'm not sure if I had a narrow escape or not with this. I have a couple of rental properties and one is a beach location and I have short term lets, weekly, by the month and so forth. I have been renting this since the mid nineties and over the years one picks up 'clues' from emails, without even talking to the potential renters. Over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have had emails off a person, always the same and started to get a little irritated because they didn't respond to my quotes, or didn't appear to, as another same email would come asking about same time. Anyway, I realize that folks can email many opportunities and forget who, so I patiently responded. The incoming date was imminent, so I advised them that I had to have cash, not check, and dont do credit card payments so close either (in case they are fraudulent). On Monday I had a phone call from the person, on a relatively local area phone number. I asked where she was coming from, she didnt' answer, but said she was in Sarasota area. This made me suspicious as they had said she was coming from Canada. Also didn't sound Canadian, not that only Canadians with 'canadian accents' live there. These two things alone didn't really add up to anything. The person started asking me specific things about address of property and so forth as she said she wanted to go and see it first. Now as this was two days away and they were having to drive to see it, I thought it a little odd, but thought 'oh well'. Gave her a broad street address and said I'd fill her in on the address when she was in area and I could meet her. She then asked me if it was ok if it was ok if she arrived late on the check in day, and I said (now thinking this was fishy) 'yes that's fine, I will meet you'. She said she would phone back the day before arrival at a specific time to confirm details. At this point I thought it was odd, nothing concrete yet,but hairs tingling abit. So I started googling around and found.... mugshot of person same name, violent assault/robbery. Now might not be same person, but not a common name, and given address - not exactly Sarasota area, but not that far away in the State of FL. I could be paranoid, but was not taking any chances. Emailed said person and advised the rental had been taken. I'd rather lose the rental....
You could have escaped from a dangerous situation and great you went with your gut feeling!

Having said that, I looked at your screen name and underneath you mention "Buyers agent" ....

Shouldn't you know better....since I'm in property management I know very well that nobody conducts a background check prior to meeting with a person because that is being done when you get an application and sometimes you try to check out a person prior to meeting them if that is possible....BUT there should have been more red flags when I read your post, which should have warned you sooner.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,062,234 times
Thanks for concern bentlebee, but this was a condo rental (short term vacation) and I deal with 100s of them each year, and you can't background check everyone. But I google if I'm getting that feeling and if I am just not sure, I dont work with them. For my actual selling of real estate business, it's mostly folks I have met here over time, or international buyers, who have gone through all sorts of checks and balances to set foot on our soil
I wont deal with anyone who doesn't ring true. You just never know though.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,450,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post

What the hell..made no sense...

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
What the hell..made no sense...
Glad to see i wasnt the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: