Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 05:56 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times

Advertisements

Here we go. I don't know about you guys, but when I was unemployed earlier this year I was able to locate a lot of companies hiring. I think this article is right on. Florida is starting to land jobs and with Tampa Bay being the second largest metro area in the state along with having one of the more diverse economies in the state we are bound to feel the positives of this.

Top Destination States for Jobs - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 AM

420 posts, read 864,204 times
I saw that yesterday and think it's good for Tampa. Unfortunately, the article didn't mention the technology industry which I think is going to be booming in the near future. Nonetheless, I hope that Tampa and FL are able to improve their economies and reduce their reliance on tourism and retirees.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
I saw that yesterday and think it's good for Tampa. Unfortunately, the article didn't mention the technology industry which I think is going to be booming in the near future. Nonetheless, I hope that Tampa and FL are able to improve their economies and reduce their reliance on tourism and retirees.
Well I can add to this. The Florida High Tech Corridor ranks among the top five technology hubs in the United States, according to a jobs study by Bright Labs. From this article (one of many from a week or two ago)

Florida high tech: Florida High Tech Corridor among top United States tech hubs - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well I can add to this. The Florida High Tech Corridor ranks among the top five technology hubs in the United States, according to a jobs study by Bright Labs. From this article (one of many from a week or two ago)

Florida high tech: Florida High Tech Corridor among top United States tech hubs - OrlandoSentinel.com

I remember seeing an article a few months ago talking about all the small tech companies that are in town and growing at great rates. Most of them are hoping to be purchased by larger companies in the future though. With that said, there have been a dozen or so small tech companies that have moved to the Tampa Area.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Not trying to dampen the excitement but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Florida is the number one "top destination for job" but it appears to me this conclusion is mainly based on immigration number than the actual job created. Both North Carolina (#3) and Georgia (#4) got their major influx from people moving out of Florida in 2009/2010 (and high unemployment in Florida is noted at the time). Looking all the data together, If massive number of people are going out and a large amount getting in, it looks to me that major influx to Florida is retired people, which isn't exactly a sign for "top destination for job."

Just saying. I wish the best for Tampa Bay and Florida but this just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM

158 posts, read 227,550 times
Great articles. Between the financial services, health care, and health insurance businesses located here, or at least with large offices, I think Tampa/St Pete is well positioned for job growth.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
I agree, Tampa is well positioned for Job growth. We are a major gateway to Latin America and North of Miami so there are many companies relocating here to take advantage of that. When I was plotting where to live 3 years ago, Tampa was either 1 or 2 in the QUANTITY of Tech jobs available in Florida. I think Orlando was #1

Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM

63 posts, read 140,714 times
I agree with all above, I am moving to Tampa after doing lots of search. For small business owners, Tampa is very supportive in contrary to San Diego which my business suffered for the last 4 years because of its heavy taxing, over-rated rents, no local support (you see locals more in walmart and Target, rather than small businesses, which carry unique items and competitive prices), and too many expenses for small business owners. I loved San Diego for its weather and friendly locals, if you don't have a business, although life is very expensive and over-rated in South California. (this is my personal opinion).

Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 AM

61 posts, read 114,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzone View Post
I agree with all above, I am moving to Tampa after doing lots of search. For small business owners, Tampa is very supportive in contrary to San Diego which my business suffered for the last 4 years because of its heavy taxing, over-rated rents, no local support (you see locals more in walmart and Target, rather than small businesses, which carry unique items and competitive prices), and too many expenses for small business owners. I loved San Diego for its weather and friendly locals, if you don't have a business, although life is very expensive and over-rated in South California. (this is my personal opinion).
You were smart to leave CA.. A family situation brought me to Sacramento/Carmichael area and I have hated it and been depressed ever since. I never lived IN Tampa or St Pete, but I thought I lived in hell when I was in Parrish but man.. I see hell on a whole other level here heading toward Northern California. I am sorry I did it now because its gonna be tougher to get out, but I will and when I do, I can look back and laugh.

Tampa to me would beat SD in cost of living.. It does appear SD has a nice Little Italy though. That seems to be the highlight of the place and seems to stretch further than Ybor. I never been there so I can't really compare YET. I am in Excramento though and ya, Tampa beats this place by far. back when I came to CA, the unemployment rate in FL was equally bad as where I am now but now it looks like FL is on the upswing while CA is getting worse. People are even ruder in CA imho than they were in FL and I thought they were pretty rude in FL at times too although a lot more will chat you up if you go places I'd say than they do in CA. Don't bother trying to make friends in the night scene at all here. People act like they want nothing to do with anyone. Even at a yard sale today, some westerner type hick just looked at me funny and said nothing.. I said gooday to the woman there though and she briefly said something back but him, dull ****ing personality like something was "weird" about me even showing up to look. I don't like these westerner folks very much and they are the most prejudice to outsiders than anywhere I ever lived but they hide it or try to, yet with the Tea Party will go screaming to deport illegal aliens. Not that I "love" illegals but I am not gonna shout to deport them either or film them at Home Depots like one guy did on camera WHILE eating mexican food and patronizing their shops (lol).. FL is more friendly in comparison and imo California is more intolerant than the south in the more conservative areas but they hide it or try to like I said before. I am Italian American from Boston area originally so I know my shat.

As far as SoCal, its so true.. In Tampa Bay you can get a slice of Los Angeles easily without the big waves of course but much less hassle. Skimboarding is weak compared to surfing but everything else about the beach culture and the driving around the beach is far more relaxed than CA imo and more worth it and you can get good bbq nearby and cuban food and fresh cigars. Tampa Bay and Boston area have to be 2 of the best parts of this country out of all the places I been.. this includes Sacramento, Portland OR, Pittsburgh, Manhattan too. There may be more I need to see, but this is my conclusion for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay