Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,489 times

Advertisements

Bigger, faster, higher profile, more expensive, more crowded, more liberal = Ft. Lauderdale/Wilton Manors

Laid back, cheaper, less liberal but still left of center, still solid content and city-like = Tampa/St Pete.

If you go with the latter, look up Ybor City/GaYbor and Grand Central St. Pete for the prominent gay scenes and urban enviros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I'm thinking St. Pete is more up my alley.

If this is a euphemism for something else then it's a darn good one.
Wahaay !

Good luck with the search for a place to live.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
now my mind is drifting towards Miami Beach. Can you be a server/bartender and live on the beach there within reason, or is it for the elite only?

These are the places I want to check out for future living:

St. Pete
South Tampa
Orlando
Fort Lauderdale
Miami Beach
Key West

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
what are the reasons? Why are they different?

I'm going to stay in Daytona Beach when i get there. I'm not exactly sure if I should look for an apartment first or a job first (where i want to live). Cuz if i want to live in St. Pete, that's a 3 hour commute.

or maybe save up enough money in Daytona (which means getting a job there) and then having enough money to move wherever for a little while without freaking out about a job?

this is all very exciting to me, as I'll be moving directly to the beach (like 10ft away from it) in Daytona Beach Shores, and then I can just take my time with everything. But i'd like to avoid some newbie mistakes if I could.

Can 600 get me in any good neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale, even if far away from the beach?
You're better off saving up money where you are, and than moving to Florida.

It doesn't make much sense to move to Daytona, and than try to save on minimum wage jobs....it doesn't seem feasible at all.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I definitely have concluded St. Pete and the surrounding Tampa Bay area is the right fit for me. But I will explore FL for a weekend.
DId you also cross-reference this on the Broward forum. You might get a totally different perspective?

I think I'd rather choose St. Pete myself in that situation, but it's still good to confirm it with a totally different perspective.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
now my mind is drifting towards Miami Beach. Can you be a server/bartender and live on the beach there within reason, or is it for the elite only?
I've never done that, but my impression is that it's completely feasible to live relatively near the beach, in a ROOMMATE situation, and be a waiter or bartender. I think right on the beach would be totally catering to the tourists. But you can live within striking distance of that, work there, and hole up with others in an apartment share.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,885 times
as a very straight man who has lived in ft lauderdale i can tell you that it has become the gay mecca of the united states. Specifically the Wilton Manors neighborhood but all over east ft lauderdale as well. I also see a noticeable amount of gay men in south tampa so you wouldnt be out of place here either but ft laud is the gay capital, no doubt.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM

179 posts, read 308,524 times
Fort Lauderdale has a whole town/community full of gay people, Wilton Manors. Gay men also have their own section of Fort Lauderdale beach. You'd love it.

However...

You won't find your own place for $600 down here. One bedroom apartments are usually around $1,000 a month. You might be able to room with somebody for that much though. You'll also find plenty of employment opportunities in your field.

Good luck buddy.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
Is that a common thing to do down there? Find a roommate (possibly a complete stranger) just TO BE THERE?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Is that a common thing to do down there? Find a roommate (possibly a complete stranger) just TO BE THERE?
That's common in most highly desirable areas of the u.s.

It was certainly true when I lived in NYC and SF. Even moreso if your work is as a waiter/bartender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay