Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,464,788 times

Advertisements

Link: 2 off-duty Fla. officers fatally shoot naked woman - Yahoo! News

Another day and another police shooting.

My question is if you were a private citizen at that party and saw a naked, armed and irrational woman:
  • Would you have shot at her?
  • Lets say you did shoot her - do you get the same protection benefits from law that police officers get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,716,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post

My question is if you were a private citizen at that party and saw a naked, armed and irrational woman:
  • Lets say you did shoot her - do you get the same protection benefits from law that police officers get?
Do you have a problem with the police? Do you know how many officers died in the last couple of years?

What if you are a family member of one of these dead cops....

Btw nobody in my family is a cop but I tend to be more on their side than on the side of a crazy person.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,464,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Do you have a problem with the police? Do you know how many officers died in the last couple of years?
Am raising valid questions. If you can't answer them then please don't reply back.

Do you keep a count of how many have died everyday? know their names? If you don't, then you may well be a hypocrite!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,629,634 times
Until the full story comes out how can anyone make a determination, was she armed with a gun?, was she rushing them with a knife?
If I was having a party and someone came on my property acting irrational, was told to leave, left and then came back with a weapon I would have no problem shooting if I had to.
Even if it was a baseball bat, what if she started swing wildly and instead of shooting they just tried to move out of the way and someone else got clocked in the head and died?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,619,573 times
Since we don't know what she was armed with it's hard to answer your first question. I think if someone is threatening your life the stand your ground law would apply.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Until the full story comes out how can anyone make a determination, was she armed with a gun?, was she rushing them with a knife?
If I was having a party and someone came on my property acting irrational, was told to leave, left and then came back with a weapon I would have no problem shooting if I had to.
Even if it was a baseball bat, what if she started swing wildly and instead of shooting they just tried to move out of the way and someone else got clocked in the head and died?
Really? I think a grown man could probably take a baseball bat from a woman before she did too much damage.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,116,502 times
Florida Statute 776.013 covers this.

To answer your question, if I felt that I was in fear of my life or safety or of those around me I would use deadly force to prevent it.

To answer the second question, FS 776.013 covers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post

Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,629,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Really? I think a grown man could probably take a baseball bat from a woman before she did too much damage.
Probably? Are you willing to risk your life or someone else life on that?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Probably? Are you willing to risk your life or someone else life on that?

Yes

Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,294,945 times
No gun control, no happy news!

This is the dumbest thing ever! How big WAS that woman that nobody could tackle her without the use of guns? This is typical US mentality: "Shoot first, ask questions later"! The "Wild West" is still alive and well in the "South"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay