Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 PM

18 posts, read 57,797 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be working in St Petersburg for about 1.5 to 2 months, and I'm looking for an inexpensive room to rent. I'll be working near Tropicana Field, so I'd like it to be close to that if possible. I'm single, 32 but get along with all ages, no kids, don't mind a little sketch but don't want to fear for my life when coming home after dark. Like fun neighborhoods with character, and really hoping to find something in the 400-600 range. Which neighborhoods do you recommend that I check out? Which neighborhoods should I avoid (crime etc)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmermaid View Post
Hi all,

I'll be working in St Petersburg for about 1.5 to 2 months, and I'm looking for an inexpensive room to rent. I'll be working near Tropicana Field, so I'd like it to be close to that if possible. I'm single, 32 but get along with all ages, no kids, don't mind a little sketch but don't want to fear for my life when coming home after dark. Like fun neighborhoods with character, and really hoping to find something in the 400-600 range. Which neighborhoods do you recommend that I check out? Which neighborhoods should I avoid (crime etc)?

Thanks
Off the top of my head, the St. Pete neighborhoods you should investigate are: Downtown, Old Northeast, Crescent Lake, and Uptown. Uptown's the sketchiest of those, but definitely not 'fear for your life' territory. If you're just trying to rent a room, I don't know about availability, but you should be fine on price in any of those neighborhoods. If none of those work, look at Kenwood/Grand Central. If you're not familiar with neighborhood boundaries, zillow does a good job. Happy to take a shot at answering specific questions.

Also, FYI there's a "tourism" tax on rentals under 6 months. I'm assuming you're just going to craigslist something under the table, so this won't be an issue. But if someone does refuse an under-6-month lease, you might just need to propose a creative way around the tax.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM

18 posts, read 57,797 times
Thanks for your answer! I will check those areas.

I've also gotten possible offers near 4th and 77th (north), Treasure Island, 28th at 20th, Gulfport. Any thoughts on those areas?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,281,677 times
I think I may know which apartments you are thinking of at 4th St/77th Ave. It's not bad per se, but I wouldn't call it "fun". It's a low-rent, blue collar community. Okay neighborhood and very convenient amenities (night next to a shopping plaza), but there are much nicer places nearby for a bit more money.

You may be limiting yourself if you only want to pay $13-20 a day for rent.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmermaid View Post
Thanks for your answer! I will check those areas.

I've also gotten possible offers near 4th and 77th (north), Treasure Island, 28th at 20th, Gulfport. Any thoughts on those areas?
4th St N at 77th Ave N (assuming I've got the roads right) is in an area called "gateway." It's mostly strip malls, nothing fun in the neighborhood. You'd be a pretty quick drive to either downtown St. Pete or South Tampa (the two nightlife areas).

Treasure Island is a safe area, and on the beach. Permanent residents are mostly retirees, but you're only here for a couple of months and it can be OK during beach season (May-September). It will be all snowbirds during golf season (October-April). I'm not sure when you're coming.

28th at 20th, you need to clarify street or avenue and north or south.

Gulfport has a tiny little downtown with a few bars, and a couple of restaurants that are actually pretty good for the size of the town. It's very small and you'll get bored very quickly. It can get kinda-sorta fun if Stetson Law students are out in full force, provided you're OK hanging out with law students. Permanent residents are an older crowd and it's not an affluent area. Significant gay community in Gulfport if that matters to you one way or the other. Fairly short drive to downtown St. Pete for better nightlife.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,060 times
I moved from Gateway to Uptown - 4th St. North and 9th Ave. North. It's a wonderful neighborhood. There are some quirks that any urban dweller deals with. Lots of bicycle pedestrian traffic, homeless people digging through trash occasionally, but that's it. I haven't seen much crime or anything that's really had me worried. There's lots to do - restaurants/shops and it's got great proximity to downtown without paying downtown living prices. Gateway was close to work for me but like the last poster said, nothing but strip malls and nothing for younger single people to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay