Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM

315 posts, read 651,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
My only complaint is the amount of time it takes to get from here (north tampa) to the the beaches. It can easily be an hour drive. In Brevard County (the other coast) I could literally be over the bridge on the sand in 15 minutes, but Tampa has so much more to offer than that area.

yea like getting shot or managing that call center someday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
My only complaint is the amount of time it takes to get from here (north tampa) to the the beaches. It can easily be an hour drive. In Brevard County (the other coast) I could literally be over the bridge on the sand in 15 minutes, but Tampa has so much more to offer than that area.
I've never been to that part of Florida, but have been curious about it. Is it slower than Tampa, with less to do?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
There are not enough avenues to the beaches unless you want to bike it- they are spending millions on new bike trails on the Causeway between Tampa and Clearwater but not opening more traffic lanes??? short time thinking on someone's part-and taxpayers paying for it.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
yea like getting shot or managing that call center someday
unless you are a talented entrepenuer or have rare in demand skills the tampa bay area is a terrible place for young educated people looking to build a traditional corporate type career. There is very little meaningful opportunity in this area and you almost have to move if you want to get ahead and earn a decent income. Sure there are exceptions but generally speaking the area is a wasteland for young professionals and in my experience have seen many move away.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 AM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
unless you are a talented entrepenuer or have rare in demand skills the tampa bay area is a terrible place for young educated people looking to build a traditional corporate type career. There is very little meaningful opportunity in this area and you almost have to move if you want to get ahead and earn a decent income. Sure there are exceptions but generally speaking the area is a wasteland for young professionals and in my experience have seen many move away.
I read an article referencing that in one of the financial magazines awhile ago. It said that Tampa had seen a large influx of professional baby boomers years ago, but that many were now leaving the area.

Personally I think if you are a medical professional, like a nurse, tech, etc. you have the best chance of finding work.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 AM

315 posts, read 651,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
I read an article referencing that in one of the financial magazines awhile ago. It said that Tampa had seen a large influx of professional baby boomers years ago, but that many were now leaving the area.

Personally I think if you are a medical professional, like a nurse, tech, etc. you have the best chance of finding work.

Medical Care such as Hospice and Nursing Homes are the future of FL in terms of career, but for everything else, the wages are stagnant and non-existent. Most jobs pay in the $35k range here and that is for most positions. If you make over 50k Id say you are doing pretty damn decent. With the higher costs of food and insurance here there is barely money left over to purchase property, hence all the apartment complexes in Tampa.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
that's why the mayor is trying to open up down town- if he does- business will come again just like they did Houston- make it easy to set up shop! and have venues for the young n restless- IT can happen, just gotta get the fuddy duddys out of the way who don't want change..

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post

You do yes, which is why I plan to go to school for that, however if I were to go up north the salary can still be about $10 more per hour (20,000yr). I'd rather live in Florida on a lower wage personally.

On the subject of IT, my ex husband does lotus notes, something a lot of companies are getting away from, and the most he can make in this area if he can even find it, is about 55-60,000. Up north he's making 75,000+.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
I've been researching the Tampa Bay area , and I'm having a hard time finding negatives about this place.

First of all the cost of living seems pretty reasonable for a city this size. Looks like finding a room/shared apartment for $600 a month would be no problem at all.

Second there seems to be jobs, at least in my field. (IT)

Third the weather is fantastic most of the year, and you're close to the beach.

And last there look to be a lot of things to do in the area.

What am I missing here?
Oh geez just visit once for a week and you'll see, if you're over 40 judging from your post you will absolutely love the area it's extremely quiet barely any crime compared to the east coast, and plenty of senior citizens an hour away in clearwater who will do you no harm apart from the occasional grouch look or stink eye given to the young population whom they seem to be really resent out of envy and bitterness guess their lives didn't pan out the way they wanted, tampa is a bit of a hole but your profile says michigan so your perspective is far different from someone who has lived in the Miami area for 35 years

Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 PM

45 posts, read 79,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
This is the truth.

Remember if something looks too good to be true, it prob is. That sums up life in fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay