U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 AM

115 posts, read 305,753 times

Advertisements

I have heard some negative things about this VA - anyone have any thoughts? Looking at an internship/residence here. Another option is James Haley in Tampa? Comparisons, thoughts on the VAs or the cities? I would be moving with 2 small kids and husband.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 29,952,730 times
there may have been earlier discussion on the two VA hospitals - you might try using the search function for the forum.....former RN here, never worked either places so I can't help - good luck w/ your decision

Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,281,764 times
You will hear negative comments about every VA Center. I don't know if they are true or not, but there are always places that some people have a bad experience at. I go to James Haley and have had great service there.

But I know a young adult who's mother works there and says many of the employees are terrible, unethical, dishonest, etc... So just that statement alone, and if you are a good worker, you should be just fine and do very well!

My recommendation (and I have said the same thing in the past): Go there and do a GREAT JOB! We need you!! People that take care of our Veterans ranks you at the top of 'you have my respect list'.

One thing I like to say regarding working at a VA Hospital is PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE WITH YOUR PATIENTS. Some can get pretty cranky about things, but to me - they earn a pass from time to time.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM

75 posts, read 229,419 times
From a vets point of view, I used to go to Tampa VA but stopped because to me they suck and are of no help. If your going to be an employee then it might not be bad. You get to run out the doors exactly at 4 pm every day. The place turns into a ghost town.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM

115 posts, read 305,753 times
Thanks for the thoughts on the centers. If you had to live in the area with small kids and wanted safety, recreation, and decent commutes, which would you choose Tampa VA or Bay Pines VA? I think I am going to toss one of them...

Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 29,952,730 times
I think you can find some nice housing in the North Tampa, Wesley Chapel, New Tampa, Lutz areas with a commute to Haley. Since Haley is adjacent to USF and the Moffitt Cancer Center, there are a lot of professionals similar to you that make the commute. I wouldn't expect to live within a five min drive of Haley since that area is somewhat shaky, imo.

So my recommendation is Haley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>