U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,223 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm living in Australia right now but considering a job back in the U.S. where I can work from home 2 weeks a month. They don't care where I live as long as I'm near an airport, so I've been narrowing things down and landed on St. Petersburg. Here's why: beaches, weather, bohemian / artsy / colorful, social life year round for single woman late 30s (but really late 20s of course and would like possibility to meet eligible guys in my age group), near airport, near bigger city, far more affordable than California... I'm not a big partier so like the outdoorsy active stuff in the area for social life.

My question is that I won't have the chance to visit until the holidays at the earliest. I'd really like to look around at more specific areas on the internet. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any cool beach community areas where I could live ON the beach (see and hear waves crashing from my home). I'd like to rent initially then may consider buying once I've been there for a little while. A really nice to have would be an area where I could get by without a car -- I can always take a taxi to the airport b/c work will pay for that. I'd like to try to keep rent under $1200/month.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be St. Pete itself so if there are other areas near that area or altogether different, just point me towards some places to check out further.

Thanks a million!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Someone just reminded me that it's the gulf so won't be any crashing waves. That's ok but I still want to be able to see the water/beach. :-) Just to reiterate, it doesn't have to be St. Pete itself -- could be ANYWHERE as long as it isn't more than say 40 minutes to a decent airport on a Sunday afternoon or home from the airport on a Friday night / Saturday morning. Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,936,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut23 View Post
Someone just reminded me that it's the gulf so won't be any crashing waves. That's ok but I still want to be able to see the water/beach. :-) Just to reiterate, it doesn't have to be St. Pete itself -- could be ANYWHERE as long as it isn't more than say 40 minutes to a decent airport on a Sunday afternoon or home from the airport on a Friday night / Saturday morning. Thanks again!

Forty minutes from the airport you're probably better off looking for the Bay rather than the Gulf, unless you go south of Tampa. Friday evening traffic is brutal.
That having been said, Safety Harbor would probably be my first choice, or one of the older parts of St. Pete. Just keep an eye on the requirements for homeowner's insurance, because anyplace you can see the water, you probably run the chance of it ending up in your house.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Does that piece about the aiport apply even if I'm talking about Sundays and later on Friday nights? It's only 1 time every 2 weeks and neither will be during rush hour. Also, I don't have to worry about the insurance if I'm renting do I? I thought that was only if I bought a house. Does it apply if you got a condo up on a level that wouldn't get flooded?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

84 posts, read 370,862 times
There are plenty of places you could live that would put you on the beach, Pass-a-Grille,Treasure Island, Redington Shores or Beach, Indian Rocks Beach or Indian Shores, Clearwater Beach, Madeira Beach, etc.....You can catch a shuttle to the airport or cab and it shouldn't be more than 45 minutes.

Also, you won't have to pay homeowner's insurance, just get a renters policy and you should be fine. Try looking on Craig's list for the Tampa Bay area(craigslist.org) and type in beach under rentals and you should be able to find plenty of places to look at or a realtor might be able to find you something if it is at least a 7 to 12 month lease.

I lived on Indian Rocks Beach for years and you will be able to hear waves crashing occasionally but most the time they will be just loud enough to lull you to sleep and don't forget we are on the west coast so you should be able to see a beautiful sunset almost every night.

Good Luck and I am sure you will love it here and depending on where you have to travel you may even be able to fly out of St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport or worse case scenario Tampa International which is a really nice airport for getting around. It always ranks very high in passenger satisfaction surveys.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,936,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut23 View Post
Does that piece about the aiport apply even if I'm talking about Sundays and later on Friday nights? It's only 1 time every 2 weeks and neither will be during rush hour. Also, I don't have to worry about the insurance if I'm renting do I? I thought that was only if I bought a house. Does it apply if you got a condo up on a level that wouldn't get flooded?

Well...define "after rush hour". Dh commutes from mid-Pinellas beachside to one exit past the airport and it takes him an hour and a half to get home at 7PM. If he came home at midnight it might be faster, yeah. But if Dunedingirl has a way of getting from beachside to TIA in 45 minutes I sure wish she'd PM me.
You'll likely want renter's insurance (FEMA won't cover losses by renters, for the most part; a sad fact we discovered post-Charley). Separate flood insurance probably won't be an issue, especially if you're upstairs

Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM

471 posts, read 1,597,325 times
We have gone from pass a grille to TIA in 45 min or less during non-rush hrs. Did it in less than 30 min. Sat. 6 am.
st pete/clearwater is less time, but your flights are limited of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay