U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times

Advertisements

There area several areas around Tampa (Thankfully) that are deemed Nature Preserves, like Brooker Creek Preserve and you cannot build anything on there. They are all over the bay, and for good reason.

I am not from NY but I've been there, and you cannot replicate that here, nor is something we should attempt. There are other threads discussing this. (Strategies to make Tampa Bay Area a better place)

I said to move elsewhere if "crowded" places is what you like, you asked WHY is that East Bay empty! Are you referring to SR-41? or 75 going to Sarasota? because 75 is highway, I don't expect to see large amounts of buildings right up to it...and 41 sucks. No one wants to live there. Its rural. You have the Port on one side, and then you have that plant, a garbage mountain as I like to call it...and I don't know anyone who would want to live there.

Naples is way south of here, and NOT a part of Tampa, how does this relate with "East Bay"?
Quote:
Fortunately this not Naples and the area has some development already.
Actually there is, you cannot build over a natural preserve. Just like you cannot build in the middle of the Grand Canyon, or any other National State Parks, Monuments, County parks, and preserves etc. Here 's more on that: Theodore Roosevelt National Park - Theodore Roosevelt National Park You also cannot build over area 51!FYI! or any other military deemed area.
Quote:
It's not like it is allowed by federal law to prohibit places all over the country to develop;
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
You don't say anything rude but are insinuating to me that I move to Miami, Orlando, NYC, California etc. First, see I am not going to leave this area because you or anybody else tells me to go. I like neither NYC nor Miami to live. I have yet to visit California which will basically be the SF Bay Area which is the most interesting area for me to go, but if I like Tampa better and want to stay here, I stay here until circumstances out of my control force to go. Second, if you want to leave that area untouched that is fine, if you have read some other of my posts I have stated very clearly that I don't want this area to become like Miami. If this is the reason for some of you that some areas keep untouched that is ok, actually my favorite area here is the area of Hernando and southern Citrus, followed by Clearwater, if I choose to establish here for good I will move to any of those areas. Each one has their likes. Fortunately this not Naples and the area has some development already. And keep off the exaggeration of comparing this to New York City, do you, by any chance come from there? No city in the US is like New York in terms of population. Is like comparing apples with oranges. Finally, if the area grows, neither you or I will be able to stop it, we don't want this to become a Miami but if it happens, it happens. It's not like it is allowed by federal law to prohibit places all over the country to develop; the only way to stop from a place from growing is to control birth, not to move elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,516,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I mentioned this in a small of part of the post "Atrributes of the Tampa Bay Area" and now I am really curious, why is everything from exit 250 and 228 along I-75 so "dead"? See when I lived in Fort Myers everytime I came to Tampa I preferred to pay the $2 of the Skyway to see some "life" because the south parts of Hillsborough are just plain empty, there is nothing there, the freeway is very boring, why is everything done in the peninsula area (Pinellas) and the north part of Hillsborough?
Take a look at a map. It is because there are no bridges across the bay in those areas, so traffic has to take the long way around. This naturally limits development. Why is everything happening on Pinellas? Because Pinellas is almost completely built out and there are 4 bridges to get on and off the peninsula, plus you can also take a land route to the north. Southern Hillsborough has a much less extensive system of roads and no short cut bridges across the bay.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Port of Tampa is a huge part of that area, and it is off limits to ppl who don't work there. Passengers for the cruise-lines enter through downtown Tampa.

Where would a bridge go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Take a look at a map. It is because there are no bridges across the bay in those areas, so traffic has to take the long way around. This naturally limits development. Why is everything happening on Pinellas? Because Pinellas is almost completely built out and there are 4 bridges to get on and off the peninsula, plus you can also take a land route to the north. Southern Hillsborough has a much less extensive system of roads and no short cut bridges across the bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is the "East Bay" area of Tampa Bay so "empty"?-port-tampa.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,516,869 times
The OP is talking about areas further south than that, reference the exit numbers for I-75 in the post I quoted. I am not suggesting that a bridge should be built to cross the bay in that area, assuming that would even be possible, I am explaining why there is little development in southern Hillsborough.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,706,446 times
Actually, there is/was quite a bit of development here in Southern Hillsborough, but it's relative to what the area was. Not as massive as New Tampa, for example, or Riverview, but for what used to be here, there has been quite a bit of development. However, it happened more or less toward the end of the housing bubble, so some development stalled. The "affordable" Homes for Hillsborough USDA housing development program just went bonkers in the area, and it just keeps on going....and going....and going.

The people I feel sorry for are those who purchased at a quarter of a mil or more, only to have someone purchase a home next door or across the street for $80,000.

This was the last region of the Tampa Bay area to be developed during the housing bubble. South Hillsborough really got hit with the ugly stick during the boom and its aftermath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or