U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM

666 posts, read 1,101,755 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this in a small of part of the post "Atrributes of the Tampa Bay Area" and now I am really curious, why is everything from exit 250 and 228 along I-75 so "dead"? See when I lived in Fort Myers everytime I came to Tampa I preferred to pay the $2 of the Skyway to see some "life" because the south parts of Hillsborough are just plain empty, there is nothing there, the freeway is very boring, why is everything done in the peninsula area (Pinellas) and the north part of Hillsborough?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,704,866 times
"why is everything done in the peninsula area (Pinellas) and the north part of Hillsborough?"

Because that's where the action is. Not every area has to be jam-packed with people and traffic and development and nightclubs and attractions and strip malls and big box stores.

When I first moved to the area, nobody wanted anything much to do with it and many of us liked it that way. During the summer you could swing a cat on Rte 674 and not hit anything. It was a nice place to live, calm and uncongested and didn't take long to get into Tampa if you wanted some action. But now if someone has an accident on 674 the traffic backs up something awful. The area does have some attributes, but I'm not telling. Why? Because I hope people like you keep telling everyone how dead and boring it is around here.

Please, keep it up, you're doing a great job.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,958,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I mentioned this in a small of part of the post "Atrributes of the Tampa Bay Area" and now I am really curious, why is everything from exit 250 and 228 along I-75 so "dead"? See when I lived in Fort Myers everytime I came to Tampa I preferred to pay the $2 of the Skyway to see some "life" because the south parts of Hillsborough are just plain empty, there is nothing there, the freeway is very boring, why is everything done in the peninsula area (Pinellas) and the north part of Hillsborough?
I enjoy driving over the Skyway. Lots to see. Sometimes it feels like you're driving down in the Miami area - great sights - especially around sunset.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,795,398 times
a lot of Area Is developed in fact a lot of the real estate boom related building took place there, not right along 75, but a mile east along 301, developments like panther trace, sun city A lot of people live there, when you hear someone refer to the south shore area that's the area they are talking about,

Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM

25,333 posts, read 14,229,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"why is everything done in the peninsula area (Pinellas) and the north part of Hillsborough?"

Because that's where the action is. Not every area has to be jam-packed with people and traffic and development and nightclubs and attractions and strip malls and big box stores.

When I first moved to the area, nobody wanted anything much to do with it and many of us liked it that way. During the summer you could swing a cat on Rte 674 and not hit anything. It was a nice place to live, calm and uncongested and didn't take long to get into Tampa if you wanted some action. But now if someone has an accident on 674 the traffic backs up something awful. The area does have some attributes, but I'm not telling. Why? Because I hope people like you keep telling everyone how dead and boring it is around here.

Please, keep it up, you're doing a great job.

YEP the normal attitude in this area,,,but with it being the 2nd largest city in Fla and people still coming--- it will be a lost cause to hold on to that thinking--Tampabay will eventually be come a metropolitan area.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,446 times
WHY in the world do we need to "develop" every single area? That is a very nice/peaceful ride, what's the problem with that?
There are plenty of area's already "developed" around Tampa, Tampa IS a SPRAWL in case you didn't notice... We would love it if we could have as much undeveloped space as possible right now, and hope that some kind of entertainment venues are places where the people already live, and not kick anymore cows off their pastures. We need milk in FL too!

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-29-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
WHY in the world do we need to "develop" every single area? That is a very nice/peaceful ride, what's the problem with that?
There are plenty of area's already "developed" around Tampa, Tampa IS a SPRAWL in case you didn't notice...If you want Manhattan, call U-Haul and start driving. We would love it if we could have as much undeveloped space as possible right now, and hope that some kind of entertainment venues are places where the people already live, and not kick anymore cows off their pastures. We need milk in FL too!
Hum... Yeah... Some rude people over here I see... Anyways I like the area for what it has and so far most people are nice. Back to normal programming, this is the second time somebody "deports" me from the Tampa Bay Area... Very funny

Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,446 times
I didn't say anything rude! Just as you expressed YOUR opinion, I expressed mine. If you disagree that's fine, but I am not going to agree to develop everything to pieces. We have South Florida for that, Orlando etc. Have you been to either yet?

The SPRAWL is part of why this area will not become "metropolitan" ever, because everything s already too spread out, so PT will never work here as it does in NYC...There are already 19 million people living in Florida, I'm thinking we are quite overcrowded at this point. If you don't like NYC, go to California.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM

17,312 posts, read 11,392,310 times
I remember that area being rough back in the 70's.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I didn't say anything rude! Just as you expressed YOUR opinion, I expressed mine. If you disagree that's fine, but I am not going to agree to develop everything to pieces. We have South Florida for that, Orlando etc. Have you been to either yet?

The SPRAWL is part of why this area will not become "metropolitan" ever, because everything s already too spread out, so PT will never work here as it does in NYC...There are already 19 million people living in Florida, I'm thinking we are quite overcrowded at this point. If you don't like NYC, go to California.
You don't say anything rude but are insinuating to me that I move to Miami, Orlando, NYC, California etc. First, see I am not going to leave this area because you or anybody else tells me to go. I like neither NYC nor Miami to live. I have yet to visit California which will basically be the SF Bay Area which is the most interesting area for me to go, but if I like Tampa better and want to stay here, I stay here until circumstances out of my control force to go. Second, if you want to leave that area untouched that is fine, if you have read some other of my posts I have stated very clearly that I don't want this area to become like Miami. If this is the reason for some of you that some areas keep untouched that is ok, actually my favorite area here is the area of Hernando and southern Citrus, followed by Clearwater, if I choose to establish here for good I will move to any of those areas. Each one has their likes. Fortunately this not Naples and the area has some development already. And keep off the exaggeration of comparing this to New York City, do you, by any chance come from there? No city in the US is like New York in terms of population. Is like comparing apples with oranges. Finally, if the area grows, neither you or I will be able to stop it, we don't want this to become a Miami but if it happens, it happens. It's not like it is allowed by federal law to prohibit places all over the country to develop; the only way to stop from a place from growing is to control birth, not to move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or