Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Same as most other communities and since you stated you have lived in New River...it is the same as they have/had.

Low picket fence backing up conservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
I guess what does not make any sense to me is when I did google view I saw preserve/wetlands and houses around it and not even a single house had a fence... In New River I saw fences everywhere, but in Seven oaks only when house is back to back with another house.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 AM

Down my street some people have the low picket fence in the back and I have seen it at other streets as well.

Every sub community has camera's at the entry of each sub community which probably was needed and is helpful , perhaps also might be a reason for less fences.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 AM

I don't see how camera might help with letting dog run outside as well as kids without fence, but it might be just me I guess

Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM

...of course not...but some people place a fence to avoid strangers to get into their yard. That si what I was refering to. We were just talking about different things.

Most communities don't have the camera's at the sub community entrance and more people will have a fence up for some of these reasons like we have done...not for our dogs but it came handy when we had the fence. We rather walk our dogs but in case of rain or a time issue we let them in our yard.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM

I never associated fence with any kind of security for some reason. A while ago I came across some statistics data where houses with 6 ft fence were getting robed more often compare to houses with no fence. I know fence is some people might prefer and some not, but I like the idea or the option for putting fence up if you prefer without any restrictions.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I never associated fence with any kind of security for some reason. A while ago I came across some statistics data where houses with 6 ft fence were getting robed more often compare to houses with no fence. I know fence is some people might prefer and some not, but I like the idea or the option for putting fence up if you prefer without any restrictions.
I would love to read the facts of what you refer to because I can't believe that is the truth. Why would someone chose a fenced yard to commit robbery while they have easy access to a property without hinder of a fence...unless the gates are left unlocked.

We had a home invasion/robbery when I was a teenager and living in Europe and the police stated that it was very easy to access out backdoor since we didn't have a fence but just bushes in between properties, and that is why my parents later placed a fence.

That is the reason why I question these facts you bring up but with so many years between what happened to us and today, some 'experts" may have come up with new reasons to back up the facts and therefore i would like to know/read mroe about that.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I would love to read the facts of what you refer to because I can't believe that is the truth. Why would someone chose a fenced yard to commit robbery while they have easy access to a property without hinder of a fence...unless the gates are left unlocked.
I don't have time to do research for you right now, but let me share my story with you. I think it make sense to try to get inside locked house from backyard and privacy fence work both ways - nobody can see through it - just jump over the fence and do whatever you want - brake lock or glass and get inside. This is exactly what happened to me few years back (not in Tampa though) - I was at home for few weeks by myself (maternity leave) and somebody ringed the bell. I was nursing and had no desire to walk to the door. My car was parked in the garage and my dog that time (German shepherd) was next to me. Due to little ones at the house dog was trained not to bark so its not going to wake up kids when they are napping. So, I was sitting at the living room... within 10 minutes I saw 2 people getting to my porch and this is when I let my dog let them know we had a dog in our house. I never saw someone running and jumping over 6 ft tall fence THAT FAST and easy... They jumped over the fence to get to our backyard as well... When it comes to the robbery there is no gates for these people...
And our neighbor across the street had security cameras at his house, so we were able to see what they did - ringed the bell, tried to look inside through windows, walk house and checked our fence gate and then after looking around jumped over.
So, fence is not extra security for me. You might have different opinion and it's OK.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

We had a home invasion/robbery when I was a teenager and living in Europe and the police stated that it was very easy to access out backdoor since we didn't have a fence but just bushes in between properties, and that is why my parents later placed a fence.

That is the reason why I question these facts you bring up but with so many years between what happened to us and today, some 'experts" may have come up with new reasons to back up the facts and therefore i would like to know/read mroe about that.
How many locks you have to go through to get to your house, geez. I have never locked a gate, then again i seldom lock my car, and often leave the backdoor unlocked.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Thank God I don't live in a "planned" community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay