Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM

21 posts, read 90,334 times

Advertisements

Click Public School Boundary Maps to see the public school district boundaries (or attendance zones) in Tampa, Florida. Once you navigate to the Tampa page you can view school district boundaries for Elementary School, Middle School and High School.

When viewing the map, you can click on the area that the school encompasses and you will see data on race (percent of American Indian, Asian, Black, Hispanic and White), the number of total students, the student to teacher ratio and the percent of students receiving a free or reduced lunch.

Additionally, you can use the pulldown menu at the bottom left of the page to graphically view this info on the map (see the legend on the lower right for a description of the data).

There are also similar public school district boundary maps for Atlanta, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Portland, Orlando and Tuscon.

Hope this page has some value to the users here!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
Tampa and Orlando should NOT be lumped together. They have nothing in common.

Is this advertisement by any chance? because each school has its own website listing demographics for their school, test scores etc. This is confusing at best. Each school has its own boundary map on their website also.

AND to ad, your boundary map does not offer zip codes. When we re-search through www.greatschools.net we are able to get the zip codes so we can see if we can afford to live there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapr2000 View Post
Click Public School Boundary Maps to see the public school district boundaries (or attendance zones) in Tampa, Florida. Once you navigate to the Tampa page you can view school district boundaries for Elementary School, Middle School and High School.

When viewing the map, you can click on the area that the school encompasses and you will see data on race (percent of American Indian, Asian, Black, Hispanic and White), the number of total students, the student to teacher ratio and the percent of students receiving a free or reduced lunch.

Additionally, you can use the pulldown menu at the bottom left of the page to graphically view this info on the map (see the legend on the lower right for a description of the data).

There are also similar public school district boundary maps for Atlanta, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Portland, Orlando and Tuscon.

Hope this page has some value to the users here!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,891,319 times
Good info, Map! For all those looking for info re schools.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,933 times
Hey man, great map, thanks for posting!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
You can just as easily go to the Hillsborough County School District web site and look at their maps, or use the address function and see exactly what schools the address feeds into.

Hillsborough County Public Schools

RM

Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,376 times
Exactly.

To those looking to relocate here, the easiest way to find out if you are in a good school district, where grades are high, is to go to greatschools.net, (because it covers all counties), and while you're there you also get to see the zip codes for those schools, so when you're looking to rent/buy, you know WHERE to rent/buy to be in that district.

Also remember that some schools around Tampa offer a choice, its like a lottery, but if you're outside that school zone you may apply for it.
Hillsborough County Public Schools - Hillsborough Choice Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You can just as easily go to the Hillsborough County School District web site and look at their maps, or use the address function and see exactly what schools the address feeds into.

Hillsborough County Public Schools

RM

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Exactly.

To those looking to relocate here, the easiest way to find out if you are in a good school district, where grades are high, is to go to greatschools.net, (because it covers all counties), and while you're there you also get to see the zip codes for those schools, so when you're looking to rent/buy, you know WHERE to rent/buy to be in that district.

Also remember that some schools around Tampa offer a choice, its like a lottery, but if you're outside that school zone you may apply for it.
Hillsborough County Public Schools - Hillsborough Choice Options

Whoa - why the hate?

This is not an advertisement for anything (not sure what evidence you have for that) - there are no ads on the site, it's just meant to provide a visual tool for people to compare demographic information and school data such as student/teacher ratio, size, etc....

Most of this information is indeed available in other places - and people should certainly search those out as well, but the purpose of this site is to provide a place where you can look at patterns for an entire region on a map with a very simple interface. Try doing that on greatschools, you get limited to the number of schools you can compare and you can't map it. You could compile and compare that information yourself, but it would take a lot of time and clicking! And it's frustrating, I've tried doing that.

If you are not comfortable using maps it may be confusing, in that case use the other sources you mention. It's not meant to replace anything, it's not meant to provide definitive school boundaries or give the zip codes of the best neighborhoods. It's meant to supplement those sources and provide a source of information that lets you easily visaulize some of the patterns in a region. And Tampa and Orlando are together b/c they are in the same geographic region - nothing more than that.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-05-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Showing a boundary without a zip code is useless. Why would I need to know what the map of a district looks like? This is an extra step to get back to the Hillsborough, or other school district main website, and it doesn't help...why the need to go through a 3rd party website when I can go straight to the district website. Plus, some zip codes are half nice and half not nice, I can't tell that on your map.

There are people even on this board who picked a house long distance only to find that the schools SUCKED, and they are now stuck with an extra commute that they wouldn't have had otherwise if they looked up the schools on greatschools.net, and picked up the right zip code to be in that school boundary.

No hate, just not a good review of it. Parents are busy these days, and don't have time to jump through hoops when they're looking for schools. Simple as that. They need a "one stop shop" like greatschools, or if they know they'll be in "X" county, that county's website. Poof, all the info and more is right there.

I said it is an advertisement because Public Schools belong to the Government, and your website points to a private website without any credentials, or proper navigation. Looks ambiguous. I design websites since 1998, and yours doesn't even have contact information, an about page, or help desk page, and so on. Greatschools is a .org domain, its an organization; plus see attached bottom navigation for greatschools.org which is MISSING on your website entirely along with the top navigation. Your buttons look like a beginner student of web design back in 1995.
Public School Boundary Maps for Public Schools in Atlanta, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Portland, Tampa and Tuscon

What does: "Public School In" means? what's the "In" for? AND why just those cities? you could have had a US map...for example.
Damn! Clearly I've struck a nerve.

Look it isn't meant to be some corporate production, it's done on the side in free time, hence it looks to expert web designers like you like it was designed in 1995. That's not the point of the site.

Anyhow I'm not going to hurl insults back at some anonymous person on a web forum. You don't like it and because you have designed websites since 1998 you could do a lot better, I get it.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
As a designer, for free or not, you should know how to take criticism. Obviously you should know that trying to please everyone is the shortest route to failure.

IF, you want to become competitive, then look around, and do some re-search considering that you have a HUGE competitor in greatschools.

If I were you, I would finish the site (with all 50 states), update the look, and add something that greatschools doesn't have. You research it, and figure out what it is missing. Then, I would do a BETA testing of the site. Building this kind of website, (HUGE/filled with all sorts of info) doesn't happen overnight regardless if you work in a team, paid or not.
It's really not meant to compete with anyone, make money or anything. Just provide some data (that is already publicly available) in a format that isn't available elsewhere. Not really trying to be a pro web designer either.

For whatever reason greatschools makes it very hard to compare data (demographic,etc.) across school districts and this provides that missing piece for some areas it in a very basic way. I'm a fan of maps because they let you take loads of information - that you would have to click through a lot of pages to analyze - and let you visually analyze it in one single image.

As far as covering the US goes - well that can't happen yet because the source of the school boundary data doesn't have data for the whole US.

And criticism is cool - just the sarcasm (designed in 1995?) that struck me as unnecessary, but I guess I should expect that on a web forum where everyone's mostly anonymous.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
A lot of people don't realize that if you go to the individual school web pages on the Hillsborough County web site, demographics are shown at the bottom of the page for each school based on both District and U.S. Census data.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay