Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 AM

571 posts, read 787,331 times

Advertisements

I really don't want to come off as a jerk or a Sarasota-hater because I know a lot of you guys love it but be prepared for a lot of pretentiousness if you move there. I grew up in Sarasota and live in St Pete now. I recently went back to Sarasota to visit my mom and couldn't wait to get the Hell out of there. First off, nobody has a real job, you'll meet a lot of "social media marketing strategists" which is code for "I have rich parents". Traffic is terrible, I was there on Tuesday afternoon and it took my FOREVER to get from place to place in town. This also proves that nobody works. It's like a fake, backwoods Beverly Hills where even the most half-assed artist or businessperson that couldn't hack it in a real city comes to be a big deal. People have a lemming mentality when it comes to things that are supposedly "cool". If a restaurant or bar isn't seen as "cool" by the "cool kids" it'll go under and vice-versa, and everyone always has shiny new iphone even if they just bought one 4 months ago. I worked on Main St. for years as a waiter and people in Sarasota treated me as if I wasn't even a human being. And it's also about as racist as a town can be, people aren't outwardly hateful but most are scared or uncomfortable around black people. Sorry, I swear I'll never do this rant again but I had to get it off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,728,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
"Too-too" what? LOL
The OP used this term--I think he or she knows what it means. Only referring to downtown Sarasota.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,377,368 times
I vote for you getting on the ground in Sarasota, St. Pete, Dunedin, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor--and seeing with your own eyes, and getting your own feel for the vibe. I completely understand why people are enchanted with each of these areas, for their own reasons.

We spent a lot of time researching Mount Dora, pleasant artsy lake community in the center of the state. Then we visited. Then we knew we needed to change our target area. (No offense to Mount Dora.) Focused on a couple of towns in Pinellas, picked one, love it love it love it. We've spent some daytrips in Sarasota, understand why people are high on it, but we needed to be closer to Tampa International Airport. Greater Tampa Bay area offers a wealth of choices, from beach communities to small towns to urban living to suburbia--and wherever you land, you are close to all these things. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM

15 posts, read 23,536 times
Thank you all so much. I am headed that way in two weeks . You have given me a better idea of what areas to focus upon when I get there.

Thank you

Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 23,536 times
That was very informative about Sarasota. Starting to sound a lot like Boca and no one there actually worked either. Am staying away from Naples etc because that is similar too. I just cannot do it again. LOL My EYES are OPEN. :-)
Thank you, thank you!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,101 times
Sarasota is nice, but I personally like Oldsmar, Dunedin, and Safety Harbor (in Pinellas County) better. They are far less pretentious areas, and are not as spread out as Sarasota. They also have a very "down homey" feel and are close-knit communities. I lived in Oldsmar for several years and am now in Safety Harbor. I loved living in both areas. We had an opportunity to live in Sarasota, but chose not to because it lacked the family feel we were looking for.

Good luck. As someone on here already said, your best bet is to come and see these areas for yourself. I am sure you will find the right fit.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Sarasota is nice, but I personally like Oldsmar, Dunedin, and Safety Harbor (in Pinellas County) better. They are far less pretentious areas, and are not as spread out as Sarasota. They also have a very "down homey" feel and are close-knit communities. I lived in Oldsmar for several years and am now in Safety Harbor. I loved living in both areas. We had an opportunity to live in Sarasota, but chose not to because it lacked the family feel we were looking for.

Good luck. As someone on here already said, your best bet is to come and see these areas for yourself. I am sure you will find the right fit.
Floridagirl, I really resent when people just broadsweep a whole city as "pretentious". I live in Sarasota and while you can find some of that here, most of it is pretty wonderful, especially my neighborhood. I like your area a lot too, but I am sure you can find your pretentious people there as well. I am glad you and Wanderer and anyone else living in those areas are happy, that's great, but as Marcopolo pointed out we all have our different reasons why we prefer one place over another. It is just not fair to paint any place with such a broad brush. Opinions can be very skewed on a message board. That is why I agree with you about them seeing for themselves.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 PM

11 posts, read 19,570 times
From what I've seen, Sarasota seems to have a divide between its full-time residents and its snowbirds. I have never really had this feeling living in St. Pete and its very easy to forget that tourism is a major part of the Pinellas county economy. I'm imagining that Sarasota is probably losing some of this divide as the boom in the 2000s made for a large number of new subdivisions in Manatee and Sarasota counties with middle and upper middle class full-time residents.

On a side note, Sarasota traffic really is frustrating. I don't think it is any worse than Pinellas traffic (definitely not worse than US-19 near Countryside), but it feels very congested because I-75 is on the very edge of the city limits. The drive from I-75 to downtown Sarasota seems to take a solid 20 minutes. Again, I do not live in Sarasota and I think one of the reasons I have perceived Sarasota traffic to be bad is because I am already making a 45 minute drive to Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay