Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
We've taken 301 now 5 times, coming and going. Yes, you have to watch your speed limit in the towns, but in general it's a pretty nice way to go, very pretty, and not much traffic usually. I guess we'll try taking 10 over to 75 at some point, but can't see why, frankly. It's a difference of about 45 miles, which means a gallon of gas or so. We cut over to 75 at Gainesville.
Yes it is pretty, but with all the traffic lights, speed limit changes, you probably waste about the same amount of time and gas, but are at a higher risk for speed traps. Whenever I get a triptik from AAA, they have me taking I-75 to I-10. One agent told me a story of a customer who demanded she make the route up 301. She warned him about the speed limit changes and the speed traps. He was pretty persistent, so she did what he asked. After he left, she made a written note of his request against her advise. Several weeks later, the same customer came in and started yelling at her. Made a huge scene. He was fuming because he had gotten several speeding tickets. Luckily, she did not get into trouble because she had made her notes of his demanding request to take 301.

Whenver we have taken I-10, we have never really had traffic. It isn't as pretty as 301, but it isn't ugly either. I guess it is a matter of preference. I get frustrated with all the traffic signals and speed changes. There aren't a ton of traffic signals, but enough to make it aggravating to me. If you follow speed limit typically, 301 is nicer. If you go a little bit faster, you run the risk of a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
I got nabbed by one of these worthless ***** cops on 301 in October. Glorified meter maids are all they are

Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Thanks for you all great inputs again. I will provide my feedback once we did the trip.

I have decided to stop in Savannah, GA and drive straight to D.C. What I am not sure yet is the stop on the way back.

Thanks also for 301 head-up and need to re-think how I should go. Previously, I drove from here to Tallahassee through US 19 all the way and several places I had to watch my speed as it abruptly changes approaching small towns. Not sure 301 is comparable to that.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,674 times
Hi annaegel,
I too am contemplating the drive up to DC for VA. I did it once a year ago and I took I-4 to 95. Is that out of the way vs. going 75 to I-10? Just curious as to why no one is mentioning going thru I-4. Im a newbie to this FL to NE driving. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
We have driven between NY/NJ and Tampa many times. Our halfway point is Fayetteville, though we have stopped overnight at Smithfield, NC and Lumberton, NC, and Florence, SC. All of these places I would consider decent places to stay overnight, but not to do any sightseeing. One trip back from NY we decided to stop off in Washington, DC for a few days, then drive to Savannah for a few days. Savannah is definitely worth the trip. We went in the summer, but a friend told me she took her family around Christmas and really enjoyed it. I have been to Chapel Hill area, and even though it is real pretty, I really don't relish being stuck in the car an extra hour to drive to Raleigh.

During non-holiday travel, our trip usually takes 21 hours. One Thanksgiving, it took us 31 hours! Christmas it has taken us 25 hours. Do you really want to drive an extra hour to see Raleigh? Not me. There are books that tell you about places like restaurants, sights to see, unique places to visit, etc for the I-95 trip. I have never invested in that kind of book, but it may be somwthing to considering buying.

I don't recall if you mentioned that you are going to travel with kids or not, but South of the Border, is a tourist trap. My sister-in-law stopped there with her 4 boys. The food was terrible and you spend a small fortune on video games.

Hint: even though all the maps (google, mapquest, yahoo, etc) all say to take 301 and cut across Florida, don't do it. If you go into an AAA office, they tell you not to take that way. It is a long speed trap. You go from 70 to 55 to 45 to 35 in a very short time, very often. The police are waiting for you. The distance may be longer, but the time is actually about the same. We usually travel from 75 to 10, but we were curious once and took that route. I won't be doing that again.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hi annaegel,
I too am contemplating the drive up to DC for VA. I did it once a year ago and I took I-4 to 95. Is that out of the way vs. going 75 to I-10? Just curious as to why no one is mentioning going thru I-4. Im a newbie to this FL to NE driving. : )
I have considered going that way, but going through Orlando traffic turned me off. I may try it once just to see what it really would be like. Mapquest says it takes about 40 minutes (42 miles) longer and that is not factoring in the traffic and aggravation.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
We've been doing this drive to DC once a year for the last 6 years, and I can tell you that taking I-4 is NOT a good option. It is busy and you loose time.

We also found that taking that 301 at any other time than 4am is awful. They have those hidden cops waiting to hand out speeding tickets, and so it is a VERY slow route.

In the last couple of years we took 301 when we left at around 3, 4 am (as I said before, we make the drive to DC in one day), and on our way back we take I-10 to I-75. It ads a few minutes but it is a straight drive at 70/80pmh rather than waste time through 301.

When we go to NY, we stop overnight in Rocky Mount at that Marriott. When we came back from PA this year I found a better rate in Florence at another Marriott which was gorgeous, but we're not looking to VISIT anything on these trips.

Quote:
Hi annaegel,

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,674 times
Thanks algia! 75 to 95 it is then

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
Thanks algia! 75 to 95 it is then
You're welcome.

My husband wanted to explore taking that 301, and we lost 2 hours. All around that city Waldo on 301 is cop world; every corner has a sitting radar cop. Not to mention stop light after stop light.

Avoid exits 382, and 350, those are the 2 that takes you to 301 that we "explored"!

It was totally worth taking 75 to I-10 and drive 75/80 the whole time. But mind you, when you take that 295 around Jax expect traffic at any time. It is a huge nod, and it is always busy. Plan to loose about 30 minutes there.
Attached Thumbnails
Half way to D.C-dc.jpg  

Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
I have driven from DC to Tampa a few times this year. Halfway is Santee, SC, more or less. The Hampton Inn there is very nice, as is the Comfort Inn. That's the extent of my sightseeing I would say go to Savannah, you would get there early afternoon; walk around and see the sights, have an early dinner, and hop back in the car and see how far into SC you can get. If you don't dawdle you can make it to Santee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay