Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times

Advertisements

Link: Woman Who Rode Manatee Arrested | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

She came forward and turned herself in to the Pinellas County Sheriff's office and was not arrested but now we have spent all of our resources to issue an "ARREST WARRANT" and that too on a Saturday(I wonder which judge was getting paid over time)

WTH is wrong with our system.

We have wall-street bankers who have lost billions and billions of dollars and nothing is done about them but if you pat or jump on a manatee you are faced jail time?

Example: http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...-off-scot-free

What's next? Looking at a manatee is a crime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Yep- You put down your 19 year old dog at home with a hand full of sleeping pills and they will lock you up....You take the old mutt to the vet and pay him 600 bucks to put the animal down and you are a hero.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
Oh, the huge manatee!!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Yea, our justice system is ****ed.

You have gang bangers in South St. Pete and College Hill literally get picked up time after time and get nothing, and this woman does literally nothing wrong and gets arrested.

Ridiculous. The Pinellas County State Attorney who is prosecuting this should be ashamed. Note, they waited until after the elections to press charges. hmm.....

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
It goes way beyond our justice system...

Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: Woman Who Rode Manatee Arrested | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

She came forward and turned herself in to the Pinellas County Sheriff's office and was not arrested but now we have spent all of our resources to issue an "ARREST WARRANT" and that too on a Saturday(I wonder which judge was getting paid over time)

WTH is wrong with our system.

We have wall-street bankers who have lost billions and billions of dollars and nothing is done about them but if you pat or jump on a manatee you are faced jail time?

Example: Former MF Global CEO Jon Corzine Will Likely Get Off Scot-Free

What's next? Looking at a manatee is a crime!
This is what I don't understand. Why didn't they just arrest her then or issue her a ticket? I hope she doesn't lose her job because they arrested her at work and it's already circulating on national news.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
This is what I don't understand. Why didn't they just arrest her then or issue her a ticket? I hope she doesn't lose her job because they arrested her at work and it's already circulating on national news.
They didnt want to do it before the elections. Makes the State Attorney look bad.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
I recognize her charges are not in the same realm as those that harm humans, but manatees ARE endangered. Now, if you don't care for biodiversity, then I can understand so many are upset by this.

If, however, you feel it is important that biodiversity is an important ingredient in our, as humans, continued well being, then impacting endangered species with potential negative consequences needs to be controlled.

BTW, I agree, putting down your own dog is not something that should be something you are charged for. Not sure if I could do it, but a lethal dose of a drug or a quick bullet is humane. I don't see why we need a vet to do that.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Sure, lets look the other way and ignore misdemeanor crime because other, more serious crime is being committed. I'm sure our society will be better for it. (sarcasm intended).

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 AM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not from here and do not understand the infatuation Floridians have with manatees other than they are endangered species. However, it is reasonable that a person unfamiliar with a manatee (let alone its endangered status) would think that playing with a manatee is okay similar to swimming with dolphins. This lady's actions are completely reasonable and she admitted her fault to the unknowledgable crime. The embarassment that the community has subscribed her to is outrageous and the fact that she was arrested at work is beyond comprehension. Unbelievable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay