Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Yep. Drivers here are horrible, which is why I started this thread where "some" people swore I was wrong.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...courteous.html

Looks like I was right.......which I knew all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times
Yes, people in Tampa do not drive very well. I once saw a car hitting another behind when the the latter quickly switched lanes during a traffic congestion in 56th St.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 AM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It appears to be the college-aged or 20-something driver who doesn't have a lot of driving experience and a reason why insurance rates for that age group is higher than the rest of the drivers on the road.
When I was that age, I was driving on the autobahn in Germany. U.S. driving policies are ridiculous and absent-minded.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Learned to drive in Deutschland as well - they have it down to a science over there. Requires your full and complete attention. And your car needs to be fit for driving. None of this over there...

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
If you look you will see your photo isnt taken in the U.S. The driver is on the right.

Quote:
Learned to drive in Deutschland as well - they have it down to a science over there. Requires your full and complete attention. And your car needs to be fit for driving. None of this over there...

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Since a good majority of the drivers in FL are from somewhere else to begin with, I think that the problem is elsewhere and the results show up when you have all the lousy drivers from around the world coming here to live and drive.

This was not a problem 20 years ago here.

Its the new implants and their home bred problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
It appears to be the college-aged or 20-something driver who doesn't have a lot of driving experience and a reason why insurance rates for that age group is higher than the rest of the drivers on the road.
I always thought that Tampa has the perfect storm of drivers. You have a lot of younger kids, elderly, nascar dads in pick up trucks and lost tourist. There just isn't a way to tell what the person in front of you is going to do, in NYC or even Miami you can count on the other drivers to drive aggressively, here you just don't know.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Since a good majority of the drivers in FL are from somewhere else to begin with, I think that the problem is elsewhere and the results show up when you have all the lousy drivers from around the world coming here to live and drive.

This was not a problem 20 years ago here.

Its the new implants and their home bred problems.
It might not have been a problem in and around Spring Hill 20 years ago, but it was definately happening in Pinellas back then.

We moved here from Massachusetts in 1987 and both of my parents were shocked at the drivers then- of course, it's a lot worse now.

Road design..(or lack there of) has a lot to do with it-many of the roads up north don't allow left turns across traffic like on U.S.19 and also don't have traffic lights every 200 yards like through out Pinellas.

In addition, the amount of time spent sitting at red lights (especially going east/west in Pinellas) is unreal. I have travelled all around this country (and other countries) and have never experienced red light wait times as excessive as here.....anywhere....period.

The lack of traffic enforcement (especially in Pinellas) adds to the problem also. I almost never see anyone getting pulled over for reckless/careless or aggressive driving around here......just accidents and DUI's. Compared to other places I've been, I don't think we have enough traffic law enforcement for the amount of people crammed onto our roads.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM

20 years ago in Spring Hill you could lay in the road on Spring Hill Drive and not get hit. :-)

20 years ago I was in Orlando and it just wasn't as bad as it is now.

I blame the influx of people from everywhere blending their driving skills, or lack of them.

I find those who complain about red lights have a nasty habit of racing from one light to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
It might not have been a problem in and around Spring Hill 20 years ago, but it was definately happening in Pinellas back then.

We moved here from Massachusetts in 1987 and both of my parents were shocked at the drivers then- of course, it's a lot worse now.

Road design..(or lack there of) has a lot to do with it-many of the roads up north don't allow left turns across traffic like on U.S.19 and also don't have traffic lights every 200 yards like through out Pinellas.

In addition, the amount of time spent sitting at red lights (especially going east/west in Pinellas) is unreal. I have travelled all around this country (and other countries) and have never experienced red light wait times as excessive as here.....anywhere....period.

The lack of traffic enforcement (especially in Pinellas) adds to the problem also. I almost never see anyone getting pulled over for reckless/careless or aggressive driving around here......just accidents and DUI's. Compared to other places I've been, I don't think we have enough traffic law enforcement for the amount of people crammed onto our roads.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you look you will see your photo isnt taken in the U.S. The driver is on the right.
Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the car that looked identical that I was behind while in Brandon yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay