Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

You can take them out of NY, but you can't take the NY out of them.

Jeeze, that is why I left NYC, to get away from that attitude of anger and aggression at all times.
Hey, its a tough life there sometimes.

Aggressive drivers give me a laugh. There are a ton of unmarked sheriff's vehicles on the road. The enforcement is out there, they just can't be everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
This is so true!

When I say people "here" don't know how to drive properly or are bad drivers, I do mean people that are here now and not necessarily people born here. When I see the aggressive driving, I feel very confident they are probably from NJ & NY. I hear their accent all the time in stores and it's always the people who are angry all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
To me it's the folks that hang out in the left lane, period. I'm not a speeder, but when folks just stay out there and then right before they get to their exit they fly across all lanes, it bugs the heck out of me. Stop light to stop light left lane drivers do the same thing. If there are a few of them that just do 5mph under the speed limit, you can't get anywhere. They are the same folks that see you at the next red light and make comments like posted above: "See, you didn't get anywhere anyway". Well you're right, because there are 5 other jerks doing the same thing you're doing. They just don't get it. Bottom line, if you're not passing anyone, get over. It's not a hard concept. Too many "I'm the only one on the road" folks.

Plus, I agree with the other poster about what's needed to get your license. Jeesh, when I grew up you were with a state trooper for a minimum of 30 minutes in the car. They absolutely would not pass you if you did something wrong. I also notice many more younger folks. People have more money as parents than ours did. You were a well off family if you had a car in high school. Today everyone seems to have one.

FWIW, every state is the same. I've lived in 5 across the nation for extended periods of time. Same drivers everywhere.
In certain places I will use the left lane due to the amount of accidents in th right lane due to no exit lanes to take a right on St. Rd 54 close to 41.

In the right lane many don't use their blinker or use their brakes first and than their blinkers to show they are going to take a right and all cars behind that car will almost be involved in a car accident.

Until a few miles further I will move over where there ae exit lanes to the right so at least my chances for an accident are less.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM

552 posts, read 720,126 times
The worst offenders I notice are young guys on motorcycles, bubbbas in jacked up pickups, and yes unfortunately cops. Old people just drive really slow or pull out in front of you when youre doing 55 down SR 50

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Orange County (FL) schools had a drivers ed program. I dont know if they still do, but I would think high schools would still have drivers ed, they did as far as I can remember.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I agree. When I was in school we had drivers education which was classroom and time behind-the-wheel with an instructor. I'm not sure if that is done here in Florida or if it's still done in NC. I know getting a license in NC now is a graduated system that takes around three years before you have full driving privileges. That is for young drivers, I'm sure it's easier for an adult getting their first license. The road test I went through was much more thorough than what FL requires.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM

657 posts, read 695,109 times
I'm sure the stress is the cause of the aggressive driving.

Everywhere you go in the city and north nj is a zoo, you could barely walk. Everyone is ALWAYS on a hurry as if they are late or something. Even the supermarket feels like you are on a race. Shopping? Even worst.

I lived near a shopping area, never, ever bought anything there. There were so many people just walking around, just that stresses you out.

Living through this for years is not easy and will destroy your patience. I've been living in DE for 2 years and am extremely happy and stress free. Not that i was ever a bad driver at any point, but am glad i no longer have to put up with it.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I'd make people take the motorcycle driving class,,, make them all very aware!!! every 5/10 yrs there should be a re-course, so they can see all the bad habits they picked up... that's what I'd do.. A re- fresher course.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
or have them read this....

The Keys to Defensive Driving

Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I'd make people take the motorcycle driving class,,, make them all very aware!!! every 5/10 yrs there should be a re-course, so they can see all the bad habits they picked up... that's what I'd do.. A re- fresher course.
My company requires everybody (who will dirive company car) to take a defensive class and pass every 5 years, which I think is a good thing to refresh rules.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 AM

158 posts, read 227,491 times
My new driving hate is the wanderers. They start in the middle lane, then move over two or more lanes, then actually pull off and turn either left or right, all without a signal, or stopping to pause when they move from one lane to another.

I dont mind aggressive drivers who signal, as much as the whack jobs you have absolutely no idea where they are going or what they are going to do next.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM

210 posts, read 576,495 times
Here's my pet peeve...

I'm cruising in the right lane with my cruise control on, doing 68. 1/2 mile up there is a car in my lane, 1/4 mile up there is a car in left lane. I can see if the speed stays the same I will pass the car on the left giving me enough time to pass the car in my lane on the left. Suddenly the car in the left speeds up and then hangs at my door forcing me to brake and get behind them. Or how about this one. Again same scenario, except this time the car on left is doing 80, Ok you figure he will zoom by giving me ample time to pass the guy in my lane, except once he sees you won't get in front of him he slows down to the speed of the car you want to pass, forcing you to tap your brakes and get behind them. Sheesh and you wonder about road rage.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay