Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Cool Beans

Freaking Awesome

Floorida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
"just another day in paradise"..........that one really sucks IMO.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM

45 posts, read 79,071 times
Yes, I agree with cool beans

Also noticed many service workers saying "I need you to ... Or do this for me..." instead of saying "could you please..."

Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 PM

181 posts, read 356,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Wait a minute..."Have A Great Day" is considered a "saying"? you're kidding right? R U from NJ or something?

"Behind that"? so if something IS "behind" something how should we point to it?

"Love it"? so we're not supposed to "love something"?

What does this mean?
""H" "E" "double hockey sticks""????

WOW! what area of town do you roam around so I know to avoid it!

I would be more concerned with people NOT saying "Thank you" when holding the door for them! Some of these immigrants that hate snow, also hate manners! THAT sucks more.
Little defensive aren't you?? I never made any judgements about any of the sayings ... like "love it!". Infact I like the "love it".

I have lived in TAMPA since I was 8 and am one of a few who can call themselves a Florida native. People in other parts of the country don't typically put together the words "that there" was my point in "behind that'there (fill in the blank)". Double hockey sticks = LL ... never heard anyone say "H E double hockey sticks" anywhere else in the country, have you?? I wasn't refering to "have a great day" said in ernst ..which is more often the case.. and btw if someone, like a clerk doesn't brighten my day with a greeting I will wish them one... bcs I am southern. I was refering to it said with sarcism, a superficially large smile and in the context of post-argument. (incase you didn't get the p.o. reference: pissed off and saying those niceties).

Also... I say cool beans as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
CMor,

Everything you wrote as native to Tampa I have heard before. Everything EVERYONE else wrote so far, I have heard before too! I live in Metro DC, and am originally from Philadelpia. HE double hockey sticks was popular in Philly area about 30 years ago. "that there" is something you would here in rural Virginia, or maybe in another rural country setting, anywhere. I've heard it down in the Northern Neck by the Chesapeake Bay. I hear "y'all" all the time.

I have been to Tampa, went in the fall. Didn't notice any speech or slang area specific. We visited with some old friends, and discussed this very topic! They told me that Tampa area is a melting pot of people from all over the US and there wasn't a specific "accent" or "slang" used there... both couples have lived in Tampa area for 20+ years.

Picking up slang such as "go to the sto" is plain sloppy and maybe correcting your child (when you say your "kids" it is implied your children, correct?) NOW will save him/her from embarassment later, especially when it comes time to look for a job.

Telling someone to "have a nice day" is not exclusive to the South. There are nice people all over the US and the world (again, I speak from experience having lived many places and travelled many places). Shopkeepers and others have wished me a nice day with several accents here in the US and in several other languages overseas.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I don't know if this is area specific, but I never heard the expression, "Hell to the no," before I got here. I still get a kick out of people saying, "Just another day in paradise," but I think lots of life is funny.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
"Have a Good One"
"Fixin' to" Or "Fitna'"

Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM

158 posts, read 438,819 times
I was born and raised around Indianapolis, currently live the the DC/Baltimore area, have also lived in FL, southern CA, San Antonio, El Paso, KY/TN, NE OH, and SC. FL is such a blend of people that I never noticed any unusual colloquialisms when I lived there previously. I do remember that when I lived in Tampa they would giggle and say, "Hey, Bree! What do you call that thing you ride on like a bike, but it has a motor? You know, like a Harley?" Me, "motor sickle." I cannot say motorCYCLE to save my life. It just sounds so odd and foreign to me. Here in MD the nasally, "have a good one!" annoys me, but at least it is a nice sentiment LOL It's just the *way* they say it. So different than anywhere else I have ever been. There really is not one thing that I can think of that is "unique" to that area as far as sayings or pronunciations.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
Little defensive aren't you?? I never made any judgements about any of the sayings ... like "love it!". Infact I like the "love it".

I have lived in TAMPA since I was 8 and am one of a few who can call themselves a Florida native. People in other parts of the country don't typically put together the words "that there" was my point in "behind that'there (fill in the blank)". Double hockey sticks = LL ... never heard anyone say "H E double hockey sticks" anywhere else in the country, have you?? I wasn't refering to "have a great day" said in ernst ..which is more often the case.. and btw if someone, like a clerk doesn't brighten my day with a greeting I will wish them one... bcs I am southern. I was refering to it said with sarcism, a superficially large smile and in the context of post-argument. (incase you didn't get the p.o. reference: pissed off and saying those niceties).

Also... I say cool beans as well.
I remember this when I was a kid in NC back in the '70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: