Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Why would you post that you don't believe someone before just doing a quick check?

For 34K gallons through Hernando County Utilities it would cost $67.50 under normal conditions, the only reason his bill was a little higher was because SWFWMD still has Hernando as under a water shortage so the higher block rates are in effect bringing 34K gallons up to the $85 or so.

Even if you add sewer to the normal rate it would only bring it up to $99.01.
Wow. It's no wonder Hernando is one big sinkhole. Why wouldn't you pump the aquifer dry? At those rates I would have Bellagio-sized fountains in the front yard.

I may be buying a water truck and coming by your house to borrow the hose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Wow. It's no wonder Hernando is one big sinkhole. Why wouldn't you pump the aquifer dry? At those rates I would have Bellagio-sized fountains in the front yard.

My lord, 34000 gallons????? Who in the heck uses that??? We are two people, now pool, we use maybe 5,000 gallons a MONTH at most, costs us about $55 with sewer and garbage included (Manatee County). I can't believe how much water some people waste!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My lord, 34000 gallons????? Who in the heck uses that??? We are two people, now pool, we use maybe 5,000 gallons a MONTH at most, costs us about $55 with sewer and garbage included (Manatee County). I can't believe how much water some people waste!
Well, we are not trying to waste any. This is why I posed the question. It seemed outrageous to me as well.

I checked the meter last night and we do not appear to have a leak. I have eliminated the wasteful irrigation and I think that may be the biggest culprit. I will find out in two months when I get my bill.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

So, due to the fact the county you live in has exorbitant water costs, you try and turn this in to a sinkhole debate?
Pinellas County has sinkholes also, sinkholes have to do much more with the underlying bedrock depth, the voids and cavities of the limestone over the bedrock and normal seasonal dry spells and rainstorms than water usage, though the water usage does add to it.
Sinkholes were around the area eons before the population expanded as it did.

Oh, and I pay nothing since i am on well and septic.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Well, we are not trying to waste any. This is why I posed the question. It seemed outrageous to me as well.

I checked the meter last night and we do not appear to have a leak. I have eliminated the wasteful irrigation and I think that may be the biggest culprit. I will find out in two months when I get my bill.
I wasn't trying to accuse you of being wasteful, Prius, I was just shocked at that amount. I am thinking there is some leakage somewhere for that amount to be used. You would be surprised at how many gallons can leak with just a PINHOLE in a pipe. We had that issue when we moved into our home here in Sarasota. Had a pinhole leak in pipe under slab, and with NO ONE in the house it was using 9,000 gallons per month. From a PINHOLE! But if you don't have a leak, maybe the meter readings are incorrect. I just don't see how you could be using that much.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM

75 posts, read 251,512 times
My water bill is $38 and was $25 the month before in Brandon FL for a 2 bathroom house with irrigation, NO pool and two people. These bills are just anomalies since my meter broke 2 months ago. On average I use about 80,000 gallons a month. If you want your bill lower use less irrigation, cut the timers down and check them to make sure they aren't over spraying and watering your neighbor yard. Also check for leaky toilets or cut back on laundry use.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM

657 posts, read 695,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
No pool and I only water occasionaly....don't use dishwaher- we do shower together as much as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya know- to conserve water!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not!
Lol.... this is awesome..

Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wasn't trying to accuse you of being wasteful, Prius, I was just shocked at that amount. I am thinking there is some leakage somewhere for that amount to be used. You would be surprised at how many gallons can leak with just a PINHOLE in a pipe. We had that issue when we moved into our home here in Sarasota. Had a pinhole leak in pipe under slab, and with NO ONE in the house it was using 9,000 gallons per month. From a PINHOLE! But if you don't have a leak, maybe the meter readings are incorrect. I just don't see how you could be using that much.
Let's just say I have been busy since I bought the house. We purchased the home at the age where things start needing replacing, which kept the price down. I'm pretty handy, so I have been taking care of things.

The previous owner was using irrigation water way way too much. Pinellas county tells me she had some bills totaling 77,000 gallons. I have stopped that now, but it was running like that before we got in full time.

I also fixed two toilets that were double flushing large quantities of water. I replaced the workings with water efficient parts. Plus the toilets were leaking, so I replaced the flappers.

The master bathtub had a drip leak I fixed.

I'm picking these things off one at a time, so I hope the next bill is dramatically lower.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydawg003 View Post
My water bill is $38 and was $25 the month before in Brandon FL for a 2 bathroom house with irrigation, NO pool and two people. These bills are just anomalies since my meter broke 2 months ago. On average I use about 80,000 gallons a month. If you want your bill lower use less irrigation, cut the timers down and check them to make sure they aren't over spraying and watering your neighbor yard. Also check for leaky toilets or cut back on laundry use.
This must be a typo....

Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Well, after leaving the irrigation off for a month - I got a water bill today.

7100 gallons. I have the pay a princely sum of $13.58.

So, it looks like I was right - the irrigation system has a leak. And, I am 99% sure I know where it is. But, to be safe I am going to have someone come out and give the entire system a good once-over instead of trying to fix it myself. Then I should be able to maintain from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay