Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Looks like Tampa Bay's economy is poised to really take off. Florida overall lacked in a recovery, due to the desimated housing market. It now looks like things have turned around for Tampa Bay and have dramatically improved, especially noting continued housing price appreciation.

Brookings' report: Tampa Bay's economic recovery picking up steam - Tampa Bay Times

"Even more encouraging: With other measures factored in —such as employment growth since the recession's trough, a huge drop in its unemployment rate and recent housing price increases — Tampa Bay cracks into the top 20 for overall recovery.

"Among the Florida metros, Tampa is performing among the best, if not the best,"said Alec Friedhoff, a research analyst with Brookings."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM

210 posts, read 576,739 times
From my vantage point maybe... as far as the real estate market is concerned, Investors vs Mom and Pop is still a little lopsided in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Looks like Tampa Bay's economy is poised to really take off. Florida overall lacked in a recovery, due to the desimated housing market. It now looks like things have turned around for Tampa Bay and have dramatically improved, especially noting continued housing price appreciation.

Brookings' report: Tampa Bay's economic recovery picking up steam - Tampa Bay Times

"Even more encouraging: With other measures factored in —such as employment growth since the recession's trough, a huge drop in its unemployment rate and recent housing price increases — Tampa Bay cracks into the top 20 for overall recovery.

"Among the Florida metros, Tampa is performing among the best, if not the best,"said Alec Friedhoff, a research analyst with Brookings."
I think overall this is good news for Tampa Bay, but you only posted the positive quotes. He also said:

"Tampa Bay's pace of recovery is strong now, but it still has among the furthest to go. The hardest hit still have a long way to climb."

and

"You take that (unemployment) ranking with a grain of salt," Friedhoff said.

because

Though the last measure was the strongest, comparatively speaking, it also may be the least accurate. Florida's drop in unemployment has been largely misleading, state economists have said, because thousands have given up job hunting in frustration and are no longer counted among the jobless.

I'm also curious to know what types of jobs have been added. McDonald's and Wal-Mart or jobs that pay a living wage.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
From my vantage point maybe... as far as the real estate market is concerned, Investors vs Mom and Pop is still a little lopsided in my opinion.
That may be true, but the inventory needed to be purchased and it was better to be purchased by investors than not at all. From everything I am reading, it seems the inventory level has now dropped down to a balanced market or even less inventory into a slight sellers market. That is very good news and exactly what was needed in a market such as this.

Also, not 100% of everything is always perfect. We can try to single out certain segments that may be lacking or we can look at the overall trend. The overall trend historically has been the better indicator. The trend in Tampa Bay is looking very, very good.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 AM

420 posts, read 864,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I'm also curious to know what types of jobs have been added. McDonald's and Wal-Mart or jobs that pay a living wage.
This. Fixing the job market requires attracting the right industries into the area. Otherwise, Tampa will never economically prosper and professionals will continue avoiding the area. I think that it's headed in the right direction, but we need more industries and high-paying jobs.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
tampa's job market is garbadge and smart, young, educated people avoid this place like the plague

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
tampa's job market is garbadge and smart, young, educated people avoid this place like the plague
Ouch! Did you just call me (and the rest of young professionals) an uneducated person? I consider myself a smart, young and educated and I was looking for a job ONLY within Tampa Bay area (and turned down few out of state offers as well as within other areas in Florida)

There are good companies with well paid positions everywhere and it's true that certain prefessionals might be willing to work in other states, but it's their choice - to get a job in Tampa with less pay compare to the same position in CA or NY and get a warmer climate and ability to buy a house opposite to renting for years on above mentioned CA or NY... Just an example... There is nothing unprofessional about it...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Ouch! Did you just call me (and the rest of young professionals) an uneducated person? I consider myself a smart, young and educated and I was looking for a job ONLY within Tampa Bay area (and turned down few out of state offers as well as within other areas in Florida)

There are good companies with well paid positions everywhere and it's true that certain prefessionals might be willing to work in other states, but it's their choice - to get a job in Tampa with less pay compare to the same position in CA or NY and get a warmer climate and ability to buy a house opposite to renting for years on above mentioned CA or NY... Just an example... There is nothing unprofessional about it...
Just ignore the trolls; we have a few on this forum...

Good for you! There are plenty of smart, educated young professionals here, and the ones with the credentials and right attitude are getting jobs. Like you said, NOTHING unprofessional about it. I will add that my husband (though no longer that "young" lol) has had a really great job in Tampa for the past 15 years, and his pay is more than the equivalent of the same job in high-priced California where the cost of living is 2 - 3 times as high.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM

420 posts, read 864,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
I'm still here and plenty are...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
There are other states with a warmer climate and houses near the same price as FL or lower, for example, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, ect, ect..

I can understand a love for an area, but why would you turn down a good job worth a lot more money, just for a place? If anything, take the good job, gain experience, then go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay