Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM

205 posts, read 292,883 times

Advertisements

Check out the story and an artist's rendering here:
Developer, Tampa agree on plans for 36-story tower | TBO.com

I'm excited about this development, specifically because:

1) It adds residential spaces, and therefore foot traffic, to a popular and safe area of downtown (Skypoint and Element are virtually full)
2) It will contribute nicely to the skyline.
3) It adds retail space in an area that should be more desirable for retail than the Element's vacant retail spaces (between Straz, the park, and the Riverwalk).
4) It adds a plaza area in between the Riverwalk and the building itself.
5) It redesigns the roads in the area to fit a smarter and more conventional pattern.

However, building high-rise residences in downtown is always going to be a huge risk, especially with condos popping up in Channelside and apartments at Encore. I really hope there will be enough demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM

420 posts, read 861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagator89 View Post
\However, building high-rise residences in downtown is always going to be a huge risk, especially with condos popping up in Channelside and apartments at Encore. I really hope there will be enough demand.
I'm excited too but this is definitely a valid point. I may consider moving downtown now...

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,858,078 times
Cool!

Even more great things happening in Tampa Bay. I don't care to live downtown myself, but I know some people do and this will help.

I just want to read the fine print to see if it will cost the tax payers any money.

Other than that, I am a big fan of the mayor. I may not agree with him on everything, but I think he is right much more often than not.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,862,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I just want to read the fine print to see if it will cost the tax payers any money.
Why would you care if Hillsborough County taxpayers have to foot any of the bill? You live in Pinellas, right?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,858,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Why would you care if Hillsborough County taxpayers have to foot any of the bill? You live in Pinellas, right?
Because what happens in one county can affect others in such an overlapping and inter-connected region such as this.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

35,479 posts, read 20,841,123 times
YEYYY wish I could move in now, but it is coming-- GO MAYOR GO!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

205 posts, read 292,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Because what happens in one county can affect others in such an overlapping and inter-connected region such as this.
I'm pretty sure these are private investors and it won't cost the taxpayers anything. Not 100% sure on this, but I don't think their previous projects (Element and Skypoint) hiked taxes at all.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

35,479 posts, read 20,841,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Here we go---- no no no-- will cost us more noo... if you do not build, it dies- as DTown Tampa is now DEAD. No revenue, no business nada,,,

Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

861 posts, read 1,451,652 times
Tampa doesn't need no stupid "residental skyscraper". I don't understand why cities are trying to turn themselves into big "megapolisis" that only attract and are aimed at stuck-up wealthy rich people, hipsters and "young professionals". Also, the only thing these kinds of things do is drive up the cost of living and drive out the middle and lower class people.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM

17,487 posts, read 38,955,686 times
That looks pretty cool, and I really like the new configuration of those streets. Things really seem to be happening in downtown Tampa. To echo another post -GO MAYOR GO!

The more people that move into downtown, the more amenities will follow. this is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay