Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM

17,463 posts, read 38,864,396 times

Advertisements

This thread is veering off subject. Welfare and low wages have nothing to do with the new hotels being planned for the area.

This place is no different from anywhere else, some people do well, make more money, some don't.

Mayor is doing a FANTASTIC job bringing business and development and business to downtown, and he is doing it in the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This thread is veering off subject. Welfare and low wages have nothing to do with the new hotels being planned for the area.

Mayor is doing a FANTASTIC job bringing business and development and business to downtown, and he is doing it in the right way.
Yes they do. How much do you think the room keepers will be paid? He is doing nothing to keep the graduates here. That should be his first priority, and not building more useless hotels.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Absolutely!

We are HUGE fans of the mayor. We don't agree on everything, but overall he is first rate!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM

99 posts, read 145,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yes they do. How much do you think the room keepers will be paid? He is doing nothing to keep the graduates here. That should be his first priority, and not building more useless hotels.
I am willing to bet that the maids and the 'lower' end people at these new hotels make more than a person working at a fast food place or low end retail. Take a guess who the number one employer in Tampa is...Publix and then Wal-Mart (not exactly high wager earners)

We don't live in a utopia, not everyone is going to have the same wage, some people make more some people make minimum wage. That's how it is, that's how it always has been and will always be. The people working minimum wage don't have to do so, they are not being forced too, they have either limited themselves to that position by doing drugs, breaking the law, not going to school etc., otherwise they are lazy. This is America anyone can move up the ladder if they really wanted too.

Bringing this back to the hotels, Tampa can't get high quality jobs in downtown if they don't have the services to support them, ie hotels and their employees. Without the help of hotels no retail comes to downtown and with no retail comes no residents. It's all about coming full circle.

*edit* So I remember reading somewheres that McD's was the largest employer, but can't find the source again, so I'll use the one I found which says Publix is. Nevertheless my point remains the same.

Last edited by gonzoUSF; 01-20-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
I stand by my statement. I don't see why some folks think that people with no skills, education, or lack of motivation do poorly in Florida when in fact they would do poorly no matter where they live.
If you have a marketable skill and are good at what you do, you work. If you have no skills, no personality, nothing to offer the employer but a body, then you will not find work.

Employers are in business to make money. In these difficult times, it is the employers who
can pick and choose their next employees. Employers are not there to offer training and instruction.
They need productive workers. If an employer hires someone who is not productive, they are harming their business.

Some folks here are fixated on "low wages" yet they fail to point out that there are more people earning a decent living in FL than not.

If the best you can do with your life is cleaning hotel rooms, then so be it. That is a personal problem.
If the best you can do with your life is working in fast food operations, then so be it.

Ive met a lot of people in my years and I find that those with out any skills to offer an employer
suffer on the income. Here, everywhere.

Too many people expect to be paid top dollar when they offer nothing and then complain when they cant make a living.

In states with higher taxes, higher costs of living, you have higher salaries being paid.
In FL we have no income tax, our taxes are in the top 5 of LOWEST taxes paid.

Floridians have an average annual salary of $40,750, or an hourly wage of $19.59, as of May 2011 and FL ranks fourth for the highest number of employees at about 7.2 million. 19 states have a lower average wage than Florida yet some continue to state that the jobs pay less than $10 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Something has been bothering me about the forum, and this pretty much sums it up, burbdweller claims that there are too many "welfare leeches," you algia, claim that low wages is what causes it. On several occasions, I've made the statement that Florida is a very low wage paying state. Spring Hillian then tells me that she doesn't know anyone making minimum wage and that only people with no skills, education, or lack of motivation do poorly in Florida.
So what is a person to believe?

I know what I went through in my 18 years living in the Bay Area and I often times resent when someone dismisses my experience and thoughts on the area just because it doesn't always fit into the Sunshine & Disney mindset of others. There are quite a few people that do very well for themselves in Florida, but they are the exception, NOT the rule!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM

76 posts, read 112,846 times
"the world needs ditch diggers too"

Caddyshack- The World Need Ditch Diggers, Too - YouTube

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I stand by my statement. I don't see why some folks think that people with no skills, education, or lack of motivation do poorly in Florida when in fact they would do poorly no matter where they live.

If you have a marketable skill and are good at what you do, you work. If you have no skills, no personality, nothing to offer the employer but a body, then you will not find work.

If the best you can do with your life is cleaning hotel rooms, then so be it. That is a personal problem.
If the best you can do with your life is working in fast food operations, then so be it.

Ive met a lot of people in my years and I find that those with out any skills to offer an employer
suffer on the income. Here, everywhere.
Yep, agree with this guy 100%

Some people would rather just sit on their a$$ and collect a paycheck from uncle sam, by the way, that me and everyone else with a job PAID FOR, than try to improve their situation in life through legitimate means.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Where on earth do you get the "fact" that McDonalds is the #1 employer in Tampa?

Otherwise, I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoUSF View Post
I am willing to bet that the maids and the 'lower' end people at these new hotels make more than a person working at a fast food place. Take a guess who the number one employer in Tampa is...McDonalds.

We don't live in a utopia, not everyone is going to have the same wage, some people make more some people make minimum wage. That's how it is, that's how it always has been and will always be. The people working minimum wage don't have to do so, they are not being forced too, they have either limited themselves to that position by doing drugs, breaking the law, not going to school etc., otherwise they are lazy. This is America anyone can move up the ladder if they really wanted too.

Bringing this back to the hotels, Tampa can't get high quality jobs in downtown if they don't have the services to support them, ie hotels and their employees. Without the help of hotels no retail comes to downtown and with no retail comes no residents. It's all about coming full circle.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where on earth do you get the "fact" that McDonalds is the #1 employer in Tampa?
I thought "unemployed" was the largest employer in Tampa

Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM

99 posts, read 145,755 times
Quote:
Spring Hillian--Where on earth do you get the "fact" that McDonalds is the #1 employer in Tampa?
To quick for me haha. I already edited it. I swear I remember seeing McDonalds as the number one employer in Tampa based on number of employees somewheres. Either I am losing my mind or something. McDonalds employes around 3,000, I think I may have mistakenly added a 0 in there at first glance.

Well said BTW, couldn't agree more with what you just posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay