U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 12,056 times

Advertisements

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
My husband goes to USF full-time (soon to be med-school!). I am a SAHM

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
Renting around $1800 max

Are schools a concern?
Best schools will determine where we move!

What is an acceptable commute time?
<25-30 minutes

What else is important to you?
Have a 4 yo, 2 yo and an infant. The 4 yo will start Pre-K in August. We were planning to send them to private school but have heard great things about Fishhawk schools. We're new to Florida and are currently renting in Seffner. Definitely moving! Looking for a nice, safe area that's family friendly, clean and the schools are TOP priority. Minimal crime! We love to play outside and be comfortable walking with young children. Our children (the first two, so far) are very bright and we're looking for challenging schools. if Fishhawk is definitely the way to go, which area and what elementary school is better?

Advice...recommendations? TIA!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM

26,791 posts, read 41,492,067 times
Wesley Chapel...Seven oaks area...great A schools, close to Tampa and nice close to shopping, etc. in growing area.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM

6 posts, read 6,943 times
I live in New Tampa, just south of Wesley Chapel and it is a great area. Lovely communities and great people. As for schools, which I know is important to you, I suggest using greatschools.org It is a fabulous site. You can see reviews from other parents, test scores, compare each school to other schools, map them and even sign up for updates for whichever school(s) you are interested in. I think it is a great starting point!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,593,921 times
I would choose Fishhawk schools over Wesley Chapel or Tampa

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 12,056 times
Thanks! I will check that site out! Any other opinions??

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Keep in mind with school websites that school grades are just a paper grade to me.

My son entered his High School when it had a "D" en last year it was an "A" school. It is more important to me what courses/classes they offer.

My son takes mostly AP classes and is graduating at 17 with way more credits than required and is now offered from a University a special program to enter a Honor program so he can finish University in 3 years instead of 4. He also has taken some Dual Enrollment courses and to me all that is more important that just the grade since that is based on FCAT scores, etc.

Some kids are in school just to be there and are not interested. Kids who are have a chance to enter at a younger age the gifted advance program for kids with higher testing results and therefore more exposed to other kids who are more motivated which to me is more important than being in an "A" school that doesn't offer that program.

I know my son would have different results if he would be in a regular class at a school that doesn't offer all the AP courses.

Than you have to deal with the next thing...good teachers and over the years we have seen great teachers and very bad teacher and in some cases a good teacher moved and was replaced b the worst of the worst and the school couldn't change things for a long time...so you can go with the on paper best school and have a bad experience...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM

I kind of agree with bentlebee, but since will not consider a school with bed grades few years in a row... These schools (from my experience) have another problem - other kids who attend the school...

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I kind of agree with bentlebee, but since will not consider a school with bed grades few years in a row... These schools (from my experience) have another problem - other kids who attend the school...
That is kind of true, but mostly the kids dragging the grade down are not showig up or sleeping.

I attended one parent day and spend time in all classes and my son had one "regular class" with the unmotivated kids and at least 5 of them were literally sleeping on their desk. They didn't even care that parents were present.

The most distrubing was to me that one of them ended up with a sport scholarship and portraited in the newspaper as an excellent student!

If you can't act normal in a class room and almost fail a class you don't deserve a scholarship for sports either!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM

I was talking about these lazy kids outside of the classroom.... this is were the real problem might be. I personally wouldn't like my kids be around these kids outside of the classroom either.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I was talking about these lazy kids outside of the classroom.... this is were the real problem might be. I personally wouldn't like my kids be around these kids outside of the classroom either.
Me neither in some cases, but my son is now able to deal with all kinds of people which is what and how life is about...sheltering kids is in my opinion not helping them for the future, they need to sit in the big chair of loife and schools are a good example of society.

My kids don't hang out with kids like this after school and made a clear choice but they are able to see that people are different and that it is up to them to make a choice to do the right thing and be motivated and what that will do for their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or