Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

The population changes during the summer months - snowbird northerners leave - all businesses, restaurants, etc feel it and lay off staff. It's a pretty significant portion of the population.

NYY games and Boston games get good turnouts, but the rest of the league's teams visiting here don't. Concerts at the end of games usually fills the stadium, but those events cost the owners. (ZZ Top, Hall and Oates, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
It would be more like too smart not too cheap. Communities all over the nation are going into debt building hugh stadiums for sports. Why?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM

Our area was hit hard (unemployment, housing crisis, etc). Some think that it's actually progressive to NOT spend needlessly and live within your means instead of spending $25-100/game when you can watch on the HDTV.

I think of as the area has smartened-up and started to save money.

The rest of America needs to wise up and stop living hand-to-mouth.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM

99 posts, read 146,560 times
Here is a breakdown of single game ticket sales by county, lets ignore the season tickets sales for a moment here and let's break these down. According to this, Pinellas accounts for 25.4% of single tickets so 1/4, meanwhile across the Bay Hillsborough also accounts for 25% or 1/4. While someone can say "but look both counties make up the same percentage of ticket sales", yes, they do, but where is the stadium located? Pinellas County so realistically Pinellas should be making up a greater percentage of ticket sales and should be near 40% considering the stadium is located in that county. The fact that Hillsborough already accounts for 25% is saying a lot considering for the vast majority of Hillsborough residents it will take an hour plus (considering traffic) to get to the game. Plus you have every other county surrounding the the region that accounts for a significant percentage, imagine the stadium moves to a central location in Tampa which is centralized Tampa Bay, the increase tickets from some of these counties could be huge. The fact of the matter is, the percentage of single game tickets coming from Pinellas is just unacceptable at 25%.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

158 posts, read 227,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoUSF View Post
Here is a breakdown of single game ticket sales by county, lets ignore the season tickets sales for a moment here and let's break these down. According to this, Pinellas accounts for 25.4% of single tickets so 1/4, meanwhile across the Bay Hillsborough also accounts for 25% or 1/4. While someone can say "but look both counties make up the same percentage of ticket sales", yes, they do, but where is the stadium located? Pinellas County so realistically Pinellas should be making up a greater percentage of ticket sales and should be near 40% considering the stadium is located in that county. The fact that Hillsborough already accounts for 25% is saying a lot considering for the vast majority of Hillsborough residents it will take an hour plus (considering traffic) to get to the game. Plus you have every other county surrounding the the region that accounts for a significant percentage, imagine the stadium moves to a central location in Tampa which is centralized Tampa Bay, the increase tickets from some of these counties could be huge. The fact of the matter is, the percentage of single game tickets coming from Pinellas is just unacceptable at 25%.
Those are interesting statistics. The one excuse people in pinellas cant use as readily as those in other counties is the location of the stadium. All of the other excuses people use not to support a great MLB team can be used in pinellas though.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Interesting look at who goes to Rays games.

A Closer Look At The Rays’ Season Ticket Numbers | Rays Index

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll go to the usual 10-20 games as long as they're here. If they leave, I'll just find something else to do w/ my disposable income. There's always baseball on the HDTV.
I hope they can build a new stadium in Tampa, but if they had to move, I'd like to see them in San Antonio so I can see them more, lol. I feel that if they relocate, it'll be to CT or NY.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM

I can't see SA giving MLB more attendance than TB -

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM

205 posts, read 293,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I hope they can build a new stadium in Tampa, but if they had to move, I'd like to see them in San Antonio so I can see them more, lol. I feel that if they relocate, it'll be to CT or NY.
One thing working for us is that there are pretty big problems for this team no matter where they might relocate. I think too many fans in the northeast are either Yankees, Mets, Phillies, or Red Sox fans, and they do not want to switch allegiances. And if you go out to somewhere like Buffalo, that area is probably maxed out with the NFL and NHL franchises they have there already.

The other sites I've heard thrown around are Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Las Vegas, and Virginia Beach. Portland and Virginia Beach are too small, Charlotte is too small for 3 franchises and lacks consistent enough fan support to tear a team away from somewhere, and Las Vegas has always been a hard sell for any major sports franchise due to the whole gambling thing. As for Nashville, maybe...but I feel that baseball is an even harder sell in Tennessee than Florida. San Antonio might work too, since the Spurs are well-received, but it's risky as the metro area is very small.

Honestly, the most viable option if a team does want to move is not even in the US (Montreal). Which is a risky move for obvious reasons.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 AM

How about New Jersey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay