Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM

15 posts, read 54,380 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Tampa shortly, and taking a leap of faith...eekkkk.

Was hoping that there are some kind people that will take the time and comment on:

1 - Grand Hampton Community
2 - The Schools (and the ratings)
3 - Top employers/jobs in Tampa for executives

and other infomation that you'd care to share.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,974 times
I've lived in GH for a while now and really don't have anything that negative to say. The HOA fees are reasonable, especially when you consider the deal that we get on bulk cable. The HOA also doesn't have any overly restrictive rules. When compared to some of the other truly private subdivisions such as Cory Lake, I think you'll get a better location, more amenities, and slightly less expensive real estate buying in GH. My only real complaint is that the developers have been slow to finish the lakefront park, outpost park, and walking/jogging trail. As far as crime goes, the vast majority involves burglaries or thefts from construction sites. If you research the crime statistics and see burglaries, just understand that it's really homes under construction getting burglarized (most likely by construction workers) and not people's residences. This is the byproduct of letting an unlimited stream of shady subcontractors onto the property with no real screening and should become a non-issue once the development nears completion.

As to the schools, Turner (elementary) and Bartels (middle) are actually pretty good when it comes to ratings and test scores. Wharton High is another story. If I had school age kids I'd feel comfortable sending them to Turner and Bartels, but would probably put them in a private high school. But you can always log onto greatschools.net and check all the scores and ratings out for yourself.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM

53 posts, read 259,605 times
We have lived in GH for 16 months now, and I have to say that GH is the most impressive. The crime is low (yes construction always breeds some problems), and is the nicest fully private communities in New Tampa. The home values for my side have risen, so I cannot complain especially in this market. Parents have a choice where to send their children to school, so that is a nice bonus. The HOA is strict, which I like (people not parking on streets or disturbing the peace unreasonably). Private means control and conformity, which we like b/c our community is always taken care of (fresh plants, mowing, clean streets) and we do not have to worry that it will look like a trailer park in five years. If you life these things, then you will like it here.

The downside is property taxes. They are high and you must take that into account when you buy in HILLS county. Take the sales prices minus $25,000 and multiply by 23 mils to get your tax bill. Then add another $1600 for the yearly CDD.

kristi

Old 08-13-2008, 03:07 PM

144 posts, read 324,497 times
" Wharton High is another story."

Why is Wharton another story? Its rated 7/10 and seems to be a decent school.

Ever been to a bad high school? try any of the new york city public schools in any borough. I think Wharton is "Sweet Valley High" in comparison.

What private high schools would you recommend near GH?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
If you go and buy accross the street you will find much lower property taxes, because County Line Road at Target is the county line...so living in Pasco County is way cheaper and just accross the street. Seven Oaks is also nearby and is Pasco and has a HOA that isn't too strict and very reasonable CDD fees. It depends on if you are in a gated or not gated sub in Seven Oaks, how high the CDD is. Than there is a beautiful clubhouse, tenniscourts(5), basketball, voleyball, fitness, 3 pools with huge slide, etc... Just another option to the higher taxes in Hillsborough County, but GH is very nice and a good location, only the prices are IMO to high for the market right now. JMO.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 26,985 times
I would recommend to only move here if you already have jobs. I have seen many move here, buy a house and then look for jobs for months, even years. Grand Hampton is very nice. My son went to tennis camp there. CDD's are a whole other conversation. I personally won't pay CDD's and live in a gated community that doesn't have them. When I first moved here 7 years ago (NJ to Land O Lakes, Pasco County) I was told if there were CDD'S (we were looking at new construction) then the houses were less because the developer didn't have to spend the money on the roads or whatever the cdd's are supposed to cover. Well that really wasn't the case, the houses were the same and i would have to pay at least an extra 1000 a year (for like 30 years) in addition to high hoa fees. It really depends on what you are looking for. I didn't need a community pool because I knew we would build our own. I pay 460 a year in a gated community with virtually no amenities. My taxes are low (3300 for a 3000 sq ft house, 1/3 acre, cul de sac with pool). Those same taxes in hillsborough would probably be 6000? (just an extimate) All the schools in this area are "A" rated. My son will be going to a new middle school (opened 2007) and it got an "A" it's first year.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
My kids have previous been at private schools and my daughter graduated from the private school...Manatee County. My son transfered in Elementary school from his private school (different one as my daughter attended) to a public school in Pasco County. He was far behind and we had to help him get to where the level was in this school. It wasn't easy but he succeed and in the next few yeras he got such a good grades that the school suggested to have him tested for the gifted (advanced) program and he passed the test easily and is starting his 3rd year (8th grade) of Middle school in the advanced gifted program and is taking high school courses....so IMO public school are just as good or in my case even better than the private school. The private school aren't really tested like the FCAT, etc...My son took the SAT in 7th grade because he was invited by Duke University (TIP).

This just to show that we have good schools in Pasco and you don't have to pay extra and you can save on property taxes compared to Hillsborough. (I'm not saying that Hillsborough doesn't have good school, but the only experience I have is that my son had to go to Wharton High for the SAT).

Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM

144 posts, read 324,497 times
Pricey (HOA) - but one of the best communities in Tampa. I cant find anything wrong really...

Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 27,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristimc25 View Post
We have lived in GH for 16 months now, and I have to say that GH is the most impressive. The crime is low (yes construction always breeds some problems), and is the nicest fully private communities in New Tampa. The home values for my side have risen, so I cannot complain especially in this market. Parents have a choice where to send their children to school, so that is a nice bonus. The HOA is strict, which I like (people not parking on streets or disturbing the peace unreasonably). Private means control and conformity, which we like b/c our community is always taken care of (fresh plants, mowing, clean streets) and we do not have to worry that it will look like a trailer park in five years. If you life these things, then you will like it here.

The downside is property taxes. They are high and you must take that into account when you buy in HILLS county. Take the sales prices minus $25,000 and multiply by 23 mils to get your tax bill. Then add another $1600 for the yearly CDD.

kristi

Hi i saw your posting and was wondering if you still live in grand hampton? we are looking to buy there but have some reservations on if we are paying to much.
we are from connecticut any advise you can give on schools anything that will be great!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,402 times
Bartels-- very good if u don't get lawson or mynatt
Turner-- good if u remember ur homework. Oh nd don't get ms lehman she suxx
Wharton-- haven't gotten there yet but I hear about kids bringing guns 2 skool all the time.
GH Crime-- only ones I've heard of are attempted rape and stolen car. Both on windsor bluff dr.
Clubhouse-- fun. We have 2 pools, a waterslide, diving blox, playground, feild, tennis courts, jacuzzi, workout room, kids playplace(sorta crappy), meeting room
Houses-- very nice
Price-- wayyyyyy 2 xpensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay