Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM

4,442 posts, read 3,753,720 times

Advertisements

Every year I go to Gasparilla, and every year I see thousands of people walking back and forth on Bayshore, with the same look on their faces.

The look says, "Is this IT?"

That's because every year there are the same few vendors selling ONLY corn dogs and lemonade, and the same few vendors selling plastic pirate crap from China. And then there's the parade. And that's it.

I just do not understand why the parade organizers don't allow food trucks and other food vendors to line the parade route (you know, offer a wide variety of food, like at the state fair???)? Why don't they have stages with pirate-themed performances going on along the parade route? Bands playing? Why don't they have vendors selling pirate or other art? Other community activities? I don't know if any of this stuff goes on downtown, but it's way too far to walk from the parade route to downtown.

This is Tampa's special, unique event to SHINE. Instead the whole event is kind of a letdown. It could offer so much more, but doesn't. People could spend a lot more money with more retail offerings, but they don't.

Maybe it's a deliberate decision to keep this event mediocre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
You didn't like the old pirates from Sun City Center?
--------

Even 93-year-old pirates took part in Gasparilla. Eva Summerfield, of Sun City Center, sported a fake nose ring. "I hope I meet some pirates – they like to cause trouble."

Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,246,323 times
We lived here 7 years and never went...it is never advertised in the suburbs for one...and then it just seem like an event where everyone gets drunk and pees all over the streets! Plus, like you said there isn't anything special that sounds attractive...e.g. food trucks, famous bands, Johnny Deep....etc.

That downtown seems cursed or something...I don't get why is it so hard to make it attractive! Lost of people with money live here, you'd think some might want to be recognized for something! Money has no value if it is not put towards something with value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Every year I go to Gasparilla, and every year I see thousands of people walking back and forth on Bayshore, with the same look on their faces.

The look says, "Is this IT?"

That's because every year there are the same few vendors selling ONLY corn dogs and lemonade, and the same few vendors selling plastic pirate crap from China. And then there's the parade. And that's it.

I just do not understand why the parade organizers don't allow food trucks and other food vendors to line the parade route (you know, offer a wide variety of food, like at the state fair???)? Why don't they have stages with pirate-themed performances going on along the parade route? Bands playing? Why don't they have vendors selling pirate or other art? Other community activities? I don't know if any of this stuff goes on downtown, but it's way too far to walk from the parade route to downtown.

This is Tampa's special, unique event to SHINE. Instead the whole event is kind of a letdown. It could offer so much more, but doesn't. People could spend a lot more money with more retail offerings, but they don't.

Maybe it's a deliberate decision to keep this event mediocre?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
I agree. Have lived here since 2009 and many years ago (80s) while going to USF - and have yet to attend. All I hear about is the laws forbidding alcohol open containers and stories about people puking, peeing in public.

I go to enough Buc games to witness public intoxication. Not entertaining whatsoever.

Only time I get down to the area is for the Straz or the Tampa Bay Times Forum events.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,594,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I agree. Have lived here since 2009 and many years ago (80s) while going to USF - and have yet to attend. All I hear about is the laws forbidding alcohol open containers and stories about people puking, peeing in public.

I go to enough Buc games to witness public intoxication. Not entertaining whatsoever.

Only time I get down to the area is for the Straz or the Tampa Bay Times Forum events.

Went once...in 2010? God....groups of people yelling, peeing, women puking...

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM

420 posts, read 860,268 times
You all obviously haven't been to Gasparilla recently. I live off of Bayshore and watched it briefly yesterday. I do recognize the value that it has for the city so I support it. There were some food trucks in the area and there is a concert that is held at Curtis Hixon Park. The concert was free and lasted until 10 pm. If you're enjoying yourself, the walk from Howard/Bayshore to downtown Tampa is manageable and entertaining. That being said, could it be done better? Possibly; but the criticsms mentioned above have already been implemented. I think yesteday's Gasparilla was one of the better ones that I've observed since I moved here in 2008.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,088,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
You all obviously haven't been to Gasparilla recently. I live off of Bayshore and watched it briefly yesterday. I do recognize the value that it has for the city so I support it. There were some food trucks in the area and there is a concert that is held at Curtis Hixon Park. The concert was free and lasted until 10 pm. If you're enjoying yourself, the walk from Howard/Bayshore to downtown Tampa is manageable and entertaining. That being said, could it be done better? Possibly; but the criticsms mentioned above have already been implemented. I think yesteday's Gasparilla was one of the better ones that I've observed since I moved here in 2008.
You are being ridiculously generous. I was there yesterday and last year and walked from Howard all the way to Channelside, so I got the full experience.

First off, the only food trucks I saw were on the way to Bayshore while walking...meaning, not AT Gasparilla but taking advantage the crowds walking to the event. Totally different. Other than that, there was a large BBQ semi-truck parked in a private party lot. The rest was JUST as the OP stated...the usual corn dogs, curly fries, elephant ears, and simple basics.

As far as the music at Curtis Hixon, that is a nice try but again...mismanaged. They are expecting people who have been at Gasparilla since 10-11am either drinking, walking a lot, handling kids, etc to stay until some crappy cover band plays at 5pm? Not only that, but it is ONLY convenient to those who decided to experience Gasparilla in the most crowded area of all...near downtown and the bridges. Walking from Howard and further south is a LOT to ask.

So, I am sorry but while I can personally "enjoy" myself- the OP hits the nail on the head. Extremely mismanaged event and it is sad because I've hardly been to another with a crowd that size. Having bands along one side of Bayshore and actual vendors with decent things to sell paired with some GOOD food ($7 for a corn dog, come on) would be such a simply addition to really make Gasparilla shine.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM

420 posts, read 860,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
You are being ridiculously generous. I was there yesterday and last year and walked from Howard all the way to Channelside, so I got the full experience.

First off, the only food trucks I saw were on the way to Bayshore while walking...meaning, not AT Gasparilla but taking advantage the crowds walking to the event. Totally different. Other than that, there was a large BBQ semi-truck parked in a private party lot. The rest was JUST as the OP stated...the usual corn dogs, curly fries, elephant ears, and simple basics.

As far as the music at Curtis Hixon, that is a nice try but again...mismanaged. They are expecting people who have been at Gasparilla since 10-11am either drinking, walking a lot, handling kids, etc to stay until some crappy cover band plays at 5pm? Not only that, but it is ONLY convenient to those who decided to experience Gasparilla in the most crowded area of all...near downtown and the bridges. Walking from Howard and further south is a LOT to ask.

So, I am sorry but while I can personally "enjoy" myself- the OP hits the nail on the head. Extremely mismanaged event and it is sad because I've hardly been to another with a crowd that size. Having bands along one side of Bayshore and actual vendors with decent things to sell paired with some GOOD food ($7 for a corn dog, come on) would be such a simply addition to really make Gasparilla shine.
You may be missing the point of my post- that Gasparilla has implemented these suggestions. Could they be improved? Sure, but the suggestions are already in-place.

Food trucks- do you expect them to be lined up on the parade route? Bayshore isn't that big. The food trucks that I saw were on the side streets just off of the parade route and in the right locations. Unless they block of an area to make it a "food truck rally;" but have you ever hosted a party? People hang out where the food is at so having a central food-area will dillute the crowd in other areas. That's why you need the food throughout the route.

Walking from Howard is not a LOT to ask but given the population, I can see why some people would not take a walk. Could there be trolley? That'd be neat. Maybe have it follow the parade route?

I do like the band on the route idea. That's interesting. The point is that this was a better Gasparilla compared to the others and that it's getting better.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,088,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
You may be missing the point of my post- that Gasparilla has implemented these suggestions. Could they be improved? Sure, but the suggestions are already in-place.
I got your point, but again...I think you are giving too much credit. I sincerely don't think Gasparilla had anything to do with the food trucks being on the side streets. That was just a smart business decision by each food truck owner.

Also, of course having the food trucks on Bayshore would be better and there is EASILY enough room. They are small than the tents that take up the median and the non-parade side is 2 lanes. Spread food trucks out along Bayshore and have some maps around showing where each are at.

My bet is that if you asked 100 people yesterday, I'd wager a lot that says 90 of them were not aware of any food trucks. The trucks were hidden on the side streets.

So, in summary- Gasparilla (the event, the city) has a LOT to improve on to really make the event what it could and should be.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

485 posts, read 1,007,369 times
I have always thought the same thing. "What kind of amateurs are running this event?" Because it sure isn't at all what it COULD be. And what it could be is this very amazing community event that could attract media and people from all over the world (i.e., and bring in major dollars to the city).

It's not like Tampa Bay has 1,000 other huge festivals to hang its hat on. What else is a big event in the area that could possibly attract global attention and visitors? But the way Gaspa is right now, it's really raw, disorganized and inadequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay