U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 AM

14 posts, read 31,400 times

Advertisements

My wife just got a job in Tampa and plans to start in March. I, on the other hand, can't find a job yet. I need some feedback. If I quit my current job in PA and move with my wife, will it be easier to find employment in Tampa?
I have applied to almost 40 jobs in the Tampa area with no luck. I have my MBA and have over 10 years of management experience in several different industries (retail, production and manufacturing).
The whole idea of leaving a good paying job to move to Tampa is kind of scary. What's my chances of finding work? How is the job market in the Tampa area?

Thanks for any feedback. March will be here soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,244,920 times
Employers definitely prefer local candidates so that will help.

Job market is not great here, but it is getting better.

I suggest contacting some recruiting agencies as well. They helped me get a job.... had never gone that route before but sure did make finding a good gig quick and easier.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,564,266 times
Honestly, the job market is always TERRIBLE here. Very few stable, good paying professional jobs and TONS of people applying from all over the universe seeking that sunshine pipedream. You are educated with experience so should find something eventually, i would assume...

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,011,384 times
Can you live on your wifes income until you find a job? There is a good chance you will take a steep pay cut.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM

15,843 posts, read 33,191,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdad32 View Post
My wife just got a job in Tampa and plans to start in March. I, on the other hand, can't find a job yet. I need some feedback. If I quit my current job in PA and move with my wife, will it be easier to find employment in Tampa?
I have applied to almost 40 jobs in the Tampa area with no luck. I have my MBA and have over 10 years of management experience in several different industries (retail, production and manufacturing).
The whole idea of leaving a good paying job to move to Tampa is kind of scary. What's my chances of finding work? How is the job market in the Tampa area?

Kind of curious why your wife already accepted a job, and you are asking these questions? Did you and your wife not discuss this? Going to be honest, you will have a "tough row to hoe" as they say. Be prepared for possibly waiting a long time to find a good job, and depending what you are earning now (you say "good-paying") will probably be a lot less. Competition is stiff here, and few good jobs are available.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

158 posts, read 400,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdad32 View Post

I am going back to college for a bachelors in cyber security. I have a BS in business management and cannot find a good job anywhere. I am an army veteran, a former federal employee, and worked in corporate America for well over a decade. I have an excellent track record and resume, but took the last 5 years off from the work force when we had our youngest child. When asked why I wished to go for another 4 year degree rather than pursue my MBA, I responded, "because the business field is too broad. I can't find a job in management with a 4 year degree. I have friends with MBAs who also cannot find jobs. IT or healthcare will always need knowledgable, well trained employees." I hope you can find something down here. Unfortunately it seems once you quit the company in which you've climbed the ladder, it is difficult to transition to a new one easily. You may have to start at the bottom again or pursue a different degree.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,564,266 times
Almost all of the affluent people I know around south tampa either commute up to a job in NY,DC,etc during the week, work from home telecommuting to a company in NY, DC, etc or a few have started or bought a successful business.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 31,400 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I will continue to look for employment and try to make the most out of this. It would be hard to start from the bottom again but if it gets us to a better place, I'm willing to do it.
I understand that most people wouldn't risk giving up a good paying job but if we don't make the move, it might never happen. I normally wouldn't say or do this but it's time to take the path less traveled by.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM

25,358 posts, read 14,246,983 times
change the address to local... they don't like to even talk to folkks far away??? weird but true, then be ready to fly in a moments notice,

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,222 posts, read 4,380,337 times
There is very little manufacturing or production work here, so that aspect of your resume is going to be pretty much worthless in this job market.

Understand that I am not being critical, just pointing out the reality of what the market consists of here.

Tampa, and for that matter, Florida, has little or no manufacturing. The economy is built around the service industries primarily.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay