Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Okay, I see it's hard for gun nuts to understand.

Who said that this was intended for criminals? Again, this is for people in the community to turn in excess weapons sitting around the homes where children can accidentally discharge them or where criminals can acquire them by breaking into homes to steal them (850 last year).

2-year-old 'miracle baby' accidentally kills himself with dad's gun | ¿Qué Más?

Boy, 4, Accidentally Shoots And Kills Self In Virginia

Child Accidentally Shoots, Kills Self With Gun Found in Family Truck | KSEE 24 News - Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia - News, Sports, Weather | Local News
Who said it was intended for criminals? Well you did in your previous post. You mentioned criminals stealing guns from homes, as if these criminals were going to turn in the guns they stole.

I'm no "gun nut". I think FL's "Stand Your Ground Law" needs to be looked at and don't like how you can bring your gun to work in FL but you leave it in your car.

But there is an agenda in this country now to get guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

How many kids drown in swimming pools in FL alone? Should we ban everyone from having a swimming pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Who said it was intended for criminals? Well you did in your previous post. You mentioned criminals stealing guns from homes, as if these criminals were going to turn in the guns they stole.

I'm no "gun nut". I think FL's "Stand Your Ground Law" needs to be looked at and don't like how you can bring your gun to work in FL but you leave it in your car.

But there is an agenda in this country now to get guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

How many kids drown in swimming pools in FL alone? Should we ban everyone from having a swimming pool.
The turn-in program isn't necessarily for criminals to turn in their guns but for people w/ excess guns to turn in so that they're not stolen and later used (by criminals) or used by children against each other, themselves, or family members.

Still hard for you to understand?

Your swimming pool comparison has so many errors in logic, wouldn't know where to start. Adding this to the discussion is really a red herring.

Last edited by BucFan; 02-01-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The turn-in program isn't necessarily for criminals to turn in their guns but for people w/ excess guns to turn in so that they're not stolen or used by children. Still hard for you to understand?
The logic is still bizarre, because there is a very vibrant (and seller-friendly) secondary market in guns.

I suppose I could also sell my second car to a junkyard, or sell my house to one of those guys with the "I BUY HOUSES FOR CASH" billboards.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Possibly the guns weren't registered properly and this is a means to get them out of the household. Think of it as selling a car without a title.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Program has worked in other cities for awhile.

Seattle:

Haul at gun buyback: 716 guns, one missile launcher | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

Los Angeles:

Rocket launchers surface during Los Angeles guns buyback - U.S. News

Los Angeles;

Gun buyback program in Los Angles takes 2,000 weapons off the streets - including two rocket propelled grenade launchers - NY Daily News

A one-day gun buyback event in Los Angeles on Wednesday gathered 2,037 firearms, including 75 assault weapons and two rocket launchers, officials said. The total was nearly 400 more weapons than were collected in a similar buyback earlier this year.

Last edited by BucFan; 02-01-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Ok let's play with your logic, criminals kill people even though homicide is illegal, should we make homicide legal, after all the criminals get to kill. I have no problem with people owning guns, I think if we as a society have evolved passed the 2nd amendment then repeal it, otherwise we can't ban guns. I do have a problem with people who equate any gun control measure to an infringement on their second amendment, clearly not the case. There is an agenda in this country to reduce gun violence and as such we need to explore all avenues. i love the drunk driving example, because people seem to forget that we reduced BAC limits, mounted a multi million dollar campaign spanning decades to reduce drunk driving, along with stiffer penalties and we have drastically reduced the amount of people drunk driving and fatalities because of that, we didn't sit around and say "oh well we can't ban cars" or all the alcoholics get to drive drunk.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM

New Jersey city runs out of cash for gun buyback program — RT

Chicago gun buyback nets 5,500 weapons

Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This is akin to encouraging teetotalers to turn in their cars as a measure to prevent drunk driving.
Yes please...

Have a special license plate for sex offenders

Have a special one for gun owners

Have a special one for people with a DUI

Have one for people who have medical bills in collections!!!

That would be great and I would put my gun plate up a.s.a.p.

But all others need to get them too...and if you have more than one of the above than you can have a multi colored one so we know how to identify them...loving it!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Dont we have enough license plates here already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yes please...

Have a special license plate for sex offenders

Have a special one for gun owners

Have a special one for people with a DUI

Have one for people who have medical bills in collections!!!

That would be great and I would put my gun plate up a.s.a.p.

But all others need to get them too...and if you have more than one of the above than you can have a multi colored one so we know how to identify them...loving it!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Ok let's play with your logic, criminals kill people even though homicide is illegal, should we make homicide legal, after all the criminals get to kill. I have no problem with people owning guns, I think if we as a society have evolved passed the 2nd amendment then repeal it, otherwise we can't ban guns. I do have a problem with people who equate any gun control measure to an infringement on their second amendment, clearly not the case. There is an agenda in this country to reduce gun violence and as such we need to explore all avenues. i love the drunk driving example, because people seem to forget that we reduced BAC limits, mounted a multi million dollar campaign spanning decades to reduce drunk driving, along with stiffer penalties and we have drastically reduced the amount of people drunk driving and fatalities because of that, we didn't sit around and say "oh well we can't ban cars" or all the alcoholics get to drive drunk.
People who commit these gun crimes are criminals and crazy and usually have lots of mental issues and if we do something about mental people not getting access or having family and friends accountable for giving access to their guns to a mental person...that will make changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay