U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

26,150 posts, read 14,660,749 times

Advertisements

We call S Fla the "metropolitan area" that surrounds the hub_ MIAMI... there are so many little towns that are all connected by same boundaries. as well as people live and work and drive up and down the whole area. There was a time only Miami and a few cities existed, then many more neighborhoods divided themselves from MIAMI -DADE, and that where that title came into effect.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 AM

19 posts, read 46,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
As many of you know I have been researching the Tampa/Clearwater/ and now Palm Harbor area for neighborhoods that would be good to raise children. And many of you have been extremely helpful but I have been coming across a lot of web sites that talk about how Florida is a cess pool,drug ridden, drifter-conartist type of place that my kids will be corrupted in???!!! Not gonna lie it does scare me a little because a lot of the stories are very similar. Now mind you a lot of these people don't state which part of Florida they are in, and I realize Florida is a very big state so I'm sure there are all waves of life going through. But they basically say never trust ANYONE, that there are child molestors/abductors on every corner looking to take advantage of any child they can get their hands on. Basically saying everyone is a junky and the Dr.'s and police are extremely corrupt. They state that people only go there to die and that once you go there it may seem nice at first but it eventually will make you depressed and is the worst place on earth to live. Now while I get that some peoples situation may be very bad and they don't exactly express any of that but they all seem to say the same thing. And they say our kids will turn into drug addicts because of how the schools are and every one is on drugs. So my question again is why do so many people hate Florida so much? Why are the stories all so similar?? Has any of you raised good respectable kids that weren't corrupted by outside sources?? I would like to hear a lot of positive stories if possible because what I read last night scared the bejeesus out of me lol. Thanks in advance.

I have not heard all this hate. I have lived in Florida since 1958 when I was small. I love Florida and would not live anyplace. else. I live in Tarpon Springs area, but if you need a quick access to work then south of Clearwater around Roosevelt Blvd above or below is a safe bet. Depending on your price range there are lots of great neighborhoods but most of them were built between 1972 and 1999 so you won't have good luck if you want a newer home. But many have been redone and some are ready for that. I have a small home that I will do a lease with option for minimum of $5,000 down and $1100 a month. I am putting a new roof on the home and if you can put $10,000 down I will give you materials for new baths and kitchen so the home will be up to date like new. it has less than 1 year old flooring. it is on a large lot and has a 3/1 with another bath and family room or another bedroom out of the garage but professionally done with central heat and air to take the load. it is a quiet and nice neighborhood with green space behind for privacy and a large front yard.
I lived down in the area for 27 years and my daughter still does., I now live north of tarpon Springs as I don't work now and don't need the rat race. But that area is near to all and yet quiet. Any interest e-mail me. xeriscapelady@tampabay.rr.com

Last edited by Adelle; 02-08-2013 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: hit wrong keys a couple of places

Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM

40 posts, read 56,446 times
Wink Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
FL is my future home, no kids, no baggage...NJ sucks big time. FL, ahhh yes, give me a beach and palm trees and that is heaven..1 1/2 years to retirement, NO WORK for me..just relaxing until I die. Come on 60.
Hi GailL2007: I am moving from Asheville, NC to Tampa Bay area, hopefully within a year. I also have no children, no family to speak of. I am lucky to have a job skill that transfers well. Just returned from Tampa blue skies to the wet and grey of N.C. and find I can't get OUT OF THE BED!!! I am eager to get back down there and just shift into low gear.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM

40 posts, read 56,446 times
Would you mind elaborating on the aspects of living in Florida that have disappointed you? I am a childless 56 y.o. woman with the intent to move to Tarpon Springs. I am not overly social; just need a few good friends to feel connected to life. I will be working full-time in healthcare. I become depressed in the gray, chill of the more Northly States. I want to have a balanced view of Florida, though. Please write me re: the aspects of life there that you find dissatisfying.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM

126 posts, read 197,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniagirlnFlorida View Post
I moved to Sarasota 6 months ago, I found a job within two weeks, making more than I did in California.
I love it! The people are kind, the weather is great, I love the pace, no traffic.. and cheaper gas, food, rent, etc!!!
I'm doing much better here than I was in California.
I'm not leaving Florida!!! It's wonderful, but I love laying on the beach every weekend, tanning and salsa dancing, so I fit right in here! I'm on the gulf side.
I guess it's most all about personality.. I guess I can find happiness anywhere I live. But hearing complaints of -2 degrees in Missouri from my friends, makes me realize how lucky I am..!
I too am loving it here! I moved from MI 7 months ago and love hitting the beach on the weekends. I imagine your traffic is going to change over the next few months. Sarasota is a busy place for Spring Break. Now being a resident...I can't wait for Spring Break to be over so I can have the beach back!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,138,255 times
Nice to hear that you are loving it here and nice to hear from ya Lilacmama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama View Post
I too am loving it here! I moved from MI 7 months ago and love hitting the beach on the weekends. I imagine your traffic is going to change over the next few months. Sarasota is a busy place for Spring Break. Now being a resident...I can't wait for Spring Break to be over so I can have the beach back!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM

689 posts, read 1,455,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRican View Post
My recommendation is, that you really ask yourself "why do I want to mve to Florida?". Write down all the pros and cons from where you are and where you want to move. Compare cost of living, income, housing cost, schools, etc., also think about how it may affect your family.

That is what I did 18 years ago when I moved from NYC to Chesterfield, VA; and don't regret any second.
RedRican: Sorry to hijack this post, but as we are comparing RIC and TPA right now, and you seem to have extensive knowledge of both, I'd love your opinions, if you're willing to share --Midlo vs. Tampa for raising kids, what the big differences are, etc. Very familiar w/greater Richmond, far less so Tampa, but very impressed with what we've read and several visits. If you have time to PM me, thanks in advance

OP: I have some of the same concerns you do, and I've come to the realization that I can't be 100% sure before we make any big change like this. But I can do as much research as possible, and if we do move to the Tampa area, we'll rent for a while first, to really learn the area. It's a huge change, but if we commit to it, I'll also commit to making it work. And knowing what I'm getting into, without romanticizing it, is the best way for me, personally, to do that. Although I have to say, the bugs and snakes are not my thing!

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,782,557 times
I think it's jealousy. People love Florida in the winter, when they wanna escape the freezing cold, and many want to go there then. Those who can't go to FL in winter (but inwardly want to) say they hate FL because it's a drug cesspool filled with Spanish-speakers.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,738,700 times
I believe a lot people just moved down there at the wrong time. So many people ended up putting way to much money into their property and then the bottom fell out. I know the bottom fell out everywhere but it really fell out in Florida. Then a lot of people lost their jobs. It's really not Floridas fault but when that happens you have to throw the blame somewhere. I think a lot of people move there with way to high expectations. Those travel brochures and TV ads by BP paint a very nice picture. Some people adjust and some people dont.We lived down there for ten years. There were some things i liked and some things i didn't.We still have an acre on the Gulf that i plan to visit a couple times a year. I would never say that i hated Florida,but i cant say that i like it enough to live there full time. To each their own.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM

26,150 posts, read 14,660,749 times
The most obnoxious people I've ever come across in FL were tourists-- or older strans-plants-- Go home already!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay