Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM

6,581 posts, read 4,953,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The most obnoxious people I've ever come across in FL were tourists-- or older strans-plants-- Go home already!!
What would florida be without tourist?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,819,654 times
^^^ Awesome.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,478,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The most obnoxious people I've ever come across in FL were tourists-- or older strans-plants-- Go home already!!
Without tourists and older transplants Florida would still be a swamp.

You try telling all those hundreds of thousands of people whose jobs depend on both if they want them to go home.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM

226 posts, read 337,185 times
Personally, I don't get it. I sit here daydreaming of the upcoming visit, not to mention the possibility of perhaps living there soon. I see SO much to do it is mind boggling, especially when you compare to the suburbs outside of Atlanta. No sidewalks, no trails, parks are great distances away, police state, opressive, traffic, crowde, no water except a few lakes....then you have Pinellas...NIGHT AND DAY.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM

644 posts, read 1,473,874 times
I think what happens to some people is that, before they move to Florida, they idealize it too much - the sunshine pipedream, as another poster described it. They picture the sun, ocean, the palm trees, and think they are moving to a paradise where they'll be much happier than they were. I've been through it myself when younger.

Then they arrive and find out it's real life, they have to work, they don't have as many friends here, they have to start over in a lot of ways, the culture and people are different, and they get tired of the heat and humidity. So then they begin to idealize the places and the friends they left behind, where their history and memories are.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 AM

19 posts, read 53,096 times
I have had opportunities but I guess I would NEVER leave Florida. I first saw the ocean in Jacksonville beach when I was 3. My Mom said she knew she had lost me to Ga. right then and there. From then on all I could think about is moving to Florida. We had a huge home on a city acre across from a creek that was awesome, but my heart with in Florida. When my Daddy had a heart attack this is where he wanted to move and get away from the high stress he had as manager engineer of a huge plant. he gave that all up to move to Florida and teach at the college level...chemistry ( I guess an inward dream he had). I thought I was really blessed to move here and I too used to go to the beach alot, bu my bike.
Now as a long time adult I rarely make it to the beach but see the Anclote River almost daily as I cross the bridge. The beaches aren't as nice here as they are lower in Pinellas county from Clearwater on down, but there is plenty of other life to do here. I have a pool and enjoy it in the summer. I don't mind the heat as that is what a/c is for. And I would much rather have heat than cold. I raised a daughter in mid county after my husband died in an accident leaving me with a 6 1/2 yr. old. She is very successful here and would live no where else, although she does love to visit Gainesville where she went to U.F. and to Daytona beach where we lived for 5 years when I first was pregnant with her. She will tell you she loves NASCAR because she was conceived in Daytona Beach and born on Speed Week. WE love the Gulf as it is more laid back and calm compared to the rough ocean. I have a really nice home but not a palace. I have the entire yard in mulch with plants. But don;t let an HOA tell you , you must have grass. No matyter what their restrictions say this is not true in Florida. This is an eco friendly yard and very enjoyable. its almost like I live in a condo as to maintanance and yet I have a yard. Job Bush saw to it there is a statue that protects people that do not want to be a slave to yards in Florida. Also we can enjoy a meal and not have to worry about chocking to death here thanks also to Jeb. Yes I like what he did for us in Florida and he is a friend.
So you can come and enjoy Florida and not worry about all the bad you left as to dying early and having an ugly grass yard. No, they are not pretty, they are either very high care or you pay through the nose to keep them up. Check out my yard sometime and you will see that is the best way to enjoy Florida. I can do other things. And if you love the Lord come worship at the best church I have ever been a member...First United Methodist of Tarpon Springs.

Last edited by Adelle; 03-09-2013 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: eco spelled wrong

Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,190 times
Can you post some pics of your yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelle View Post
..........So you can come and enjoy Florida and not worry about all the bad you left as to dying early and having an ugly grass yard. No, they are not pretty, they are either very high care or you pay through the nose to keep them up. Check out my yard sometime and you will see that is the best way to enjoy Florida. I can do other things. And if you love the Lord come worship at the best church I have ever been a member...First United Methodist of Tarpon Springs.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,190 times
For those loving Florida and especially Pinellas county, there's a seafood festival today at Safety Harbor Marina. Trolling for fun? Safety Harbor Seafood Festival is here | Things to do in Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times

Also, the Safety Harbor library is having a book sale today.

It is a gorgeous perfect day!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
For those loving Florida and especially Pinellas county, there's a seafood festival today at Safety Harbor Marina. Trolling for fun? Safety Harbor Seafood Festival is here | Things to do in Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times

Also, the Safety Harbor library is having a book sale today.

It is a gorgeous perfect day!
Was there today. The food looked awesome. Of course we did not realize it was going on until AFTER we ate lunch and then walked over there.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM

385 posts, read 1,106,857 times
First, I don't hate Florida. However I don't think I'll stay here long term.

What I don't like about Florida is how overdeveloped it is, and how degraded the environment is. The beaches are beautiful, but almost all of them are littered with ugly condos. The everglades are incredible, but they are being drained. Drive through Tampa and you will see ugly strip malls everywhere, especially around USF.

There are places that are really beautiful, but in my opinion much more of the state should be preserved as state parks and national forests.

The weather is incredible half the year, the other half you can't do anything outside. If you like mountains you have to drive 10 hours to see some elevation change.

Plus, Disney is kind of stupid unless you're a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay