Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,847,542 times

Advertisements

If Florida had more high paying jobs for entry level or service level workers, or at least paid on par with many other states, it would be absolute paradise. Even with the cost of the living.

The weather is beautiful! To those that think the summer months in Florida are bad, try a summer or two in Texas! Sales Taxes are low, Property Taxes are low, Schools are at least on par with the rest of the country (if not better!)

What's not to like?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM

294 posts, read 539,845 times
Well this thread certainly made me feel better about it..and to the guy that hates Disney..How is that possible??!!! LOL I would live in Magic Kingdom if I could

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,156,924 times
I was never a resident. The reasons I hear most often are the congestion in some areas (Greater Miami/Tampa-St. Petersburg); humidity and lightning storms/hurricanes...meaning the "sunny" image does not match reality.

For me, it was botching the election count in 2000 and no, it was not about who won, it was the lack of integrity and concern. As I remember, there was no apology to the rest of the nation from the Secretary of State or the governor and that was appalling.

I have also heard that: education levels rate fairly low for Florida youth. Crime is a problem in the largest cities (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville). Plus, those alligators can get a little too close for comfort to homes in the exurbs (scares the residents with young children)! I have heard that drivers in Miami are lousy and sometimes rude/reckless.

Having said that, I did enjoy my "combo" Florida trip on a cruise and then to Disney World in 1991.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,032,219 times
High paying jobs for entry level or service level workers? Where does this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
If Florida had more high paying jobs for entry level or service level workers, or at least paid on par with many other states, it would be absolute paradise. Even with the cost of the living.

The weather is beautiful! To those that think the summer months in Florida are bad, try a summer or two in Texas! Sales Taxes are low, Property Taxes are low, Schools are at least on par with the rest of the country (if not better!)

What's not to like?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,003,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I was never a resident. The reasons I hear most often are the congestion in some areas (Greater Miami/Tampa-St. Petersburg); humidity and lightning storms/hurricanes...meaning the "sunny" image does not match reality.

For me, it was botching the election count in 2000 and no, it was not about who won, it was the lack of integrity and concern. As I remember, there was no apology to the rest of the nation from the Secretary of State or the governor and that was appalling.

I have also heard that: education levels rate fairly low for Florida youth. Crime is a problem in the largest cities (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville). Plus, those alligators can get a little too close for comfort to homes in the exurbs (scares the residents with young children)! I have heard that drivers in Miami are lousy and sometimes rude/reckless.

Having said that, I did enjoy my "combo" Florida trip on a cruise and then to Disney World in 1991.
Don't forget about the super-mosquitoes scheduled to hatch this summer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRWBvXnd0U

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,640,958 times
I never understood why people have a hate on for Florida. Other than humidity, it's beautiful, cheap, great food, nice cities, and I think of it as the East coast version of California (And vice versa).

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,603,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I never understood why people have a hate on for Florida. Other than humidity, it's beautiful, cheap, great food, nice cities, and I think of it as the East coast version of California (And vice versa).
"Other than the humidity"...is like saying..."Other than that Mrs.Lincoln how was the play?"

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,483,834 times
I love humidity.It's great for my allergies and clears the sinuses.
And there's nothing like working up a really good sweat in the late afternoon with a nice jog before a dip in the ocean and the first ice-cold beer of the day.
The funny thing is whenever I'm in the Caribbean local people never complain about the humidity or the heat because they've grown up with it and have no fear of it.
Mind you, they don't try to defeat nature by spending their entire day being cooled by A/C.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM

644 posts, read 1,475,543 times
I like a certain amount of humidity too. My biggest complaint about winters up north is how dry my skin gets, despite the use of humidifers.

I would move to Florida except that I don't know if the medical care is as good as up north where I live now, and I also don't know if I could get new health insurance at a reasonable rate. I'm dealing with some sports injury operations right now, and wonder if the fact that these are recent would make insurance difficult to get.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,003,016 times
That's because the locals don't do the kind of work that we do. When you're doing analytical work like accounting, law practice, IT etc, you need to be COOL and thus, productive. I don't know what they do down there in the Caribbean, shrink heads and do rain dances? I doubt perspiration affects their productivity in those types of activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The funny thing is whenever I'm in the Caribbean local people never complain about the humidity or the heat because they've grown up with it and have no fear of it.
Mind you, they don't try to defeat nature by spending their entire day being cooled by A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay