U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 PM

385 posts, read 1,001,354 times

Advertisements

The high point in Florida has an elevation of 345 feet. No matter which way you cut it, Florida doesn't have much elevation change. Florida has the lowest high point of any state. Where I used to live in NC many of the hikes I would go on would ascend three times that elevation along a single trail.

Having said that I'll have to check out Lake County. I was reading about Sugarloaf Mountain, the high point in peninsular Florida. I'm guessing that the word "mountain" is being used pretty generously here.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,052,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, I corrected an obvious error. You just don't want the truth to be known because it's a positive about the State. Who is being the a**?
How pathetically petty.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM

294 posts, read 474,004 times
Okay 1 person says they're sick of the hurricanes and tornadoes, then the next cpl people say the weather is so boring??? Which is it because hurricanes and tornadoes don't sound very boring to me!! And how often do you can tornadoes? Is it common? Where do you go to take shelter if there aren't any basements?? Just curious...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,087,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
The high point in Florida has an elevation of 345 feet. No matter which way you cut it, Florida doesn't have much elevation change. Florida has the lowest high point of any state. Where I used to live in NC many of the hikes I would go on would ascend three times that elevation along a single trail.

Having said that I'll have to check out Lake County. I was reading about Sugarloaf Mountain, the high point in peninsular Florida. I'm guessing that the word "mountain" is being used pretty generously here.
It's a very pretty, rural area. Rolling hills and horse farms.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM

913 posts, read 792,802 times
To the OP, there's a lot of truth to your initial post, but from experience, I will tell you why people hate Florida. Lots of geriatrics, bugs, humidity are what most gripe about.

IMHO, the very high expectations which people place on Florida, is the number one reason people hate it so much. For a start, Florida is loaded with transplants, ie people who were unhappy where they were before. These people would probably be unhappy anywhere. The thing is that before they move to Florida they've already designed this idyllic lifestyle in their heads. A lifestyle where they'll be playing more golf, spending time at the beach, fishing, hunting, waterskiing, etc. that lifestyle requires planning and effort. I spoke to hundreds of people who move to fla. most of them fit into this category. The reality however, is that most of them end up whiling their time away in malls or in front of the tv. To add insult to injury, they don't have their friends from back home and in all likely hood, they're not earning anywhere near what they were in Chicago, ny, Boston, Portland etc.

There you go

Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,739,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post

WE used to ride motorcycles out that way quite often. Someone told us about Sugarloaf Mtn. We actually drove that road from one end to the other a couple times looking for it. We finally stopped at a store to ask where it was. The guy told that we just drove over it. If your out that way looking for it , just look for a decent size hill. That will be it.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,526,153 times
Interesting for me is that almost all of the complaining about Florida I hear is on this forum. Almost every single person I meet in real life is very happy living in Florida.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM

18,520 posts, read 12,144,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wrong. While not mountains you can definitely see elevation change in Lake County.
Give Spring lake area a shot, if ya want hills. Only about 40 mins north of Tampa.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,170,999 times
You can bet your last dollar that in the real world most people are happy and content with life in FL.
This place attracts those who want to vent, complain or otherwise dig up negatives. I'd hate to be them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Interesting for me is that almost all of the complaining about Florida I hear is on this forum. Almost every single person I meet in real life is very happy living in Florida.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,170,999 times
You find that to be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Why split hairs? The vast majority of the state is flat as a pancake, and everyone knows this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay