U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

293 posts, read 468,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I have kids.... I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for? Their schools are amazing. They have lots of friends, we live in a very safe neighborhood. They are outside playing right now.

It seems that the biggest issue that people have with Florida is that it isn't like wherever they came from. And, wherever they go, their life follows them. Many people seem to think that changing their location will improve their life somehow. And then they get nostalgic for "home" and maybe don't even remember it correctly. It turns into some sort of perfect place that their current home could never live up to, and they get more and more unhappy.
Yeah, that makes complete sense...I do worry that THAT may happen with us only because of the fear of the 'unknown' I guess...I hear how AWFUL the summers are there and how people can't take the heat at all..but I again can't stand the winters here so it's like what is worse?? I would be going down with full awareness of what I can expect weather wise, people wise, area wise etc. and I feel like if I never try I will never know and always wonder 'what if' again I don't mean to keep posting stuff I just see so many negative things that I like to hear everyones opinion of why they may disagree, because it gives some hope that we can do well if we have the right information and attitude..I don't need to live like a celebrity (although that'd be nice LOL) but I just want to live comfortable and where I don't always have to worry about my kids getting snatched up, or turned into drug addicts or criminals and where I can have people that I CAN trust and make friends with because what is living if you always have to be wary of EVERYONE around you at all times and can't trust anyone?? I love hearing everyones take on it, esp when you have kids and you let me know that they are doing just fine...thank you andeveryone else with their experience can keep em' coming I love to hear about them
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,186,938 times
Florida as a whole is loophole heaven for MANY northerners.

That's because we can never have smart/YOUNG politicians running this state. All we get are old and senile idiots! voted in by other senile Alzheimer patients! They are all working "hard" to make sure they are running this state into the ground, or let the 400lbs-ers sink it!

The people who move here are not all highly educated bright minds! if they were we would have more industries showing for it. A lot of people move here because they can avoid paying taxes, and have no need of a social life. There is no neighborly feel here where you see people talk to each other, borrowing an egg once in a blue moon....etc.
Like I told you in the other thread......you will have to LOOK a LOT which is why renting is a good idea at first, until you find that area that can fit you, and your vision of a family neighborhood. Most ppl move here and have no family ties here, and no need to make new friends either. They strictly move here to not have to shovel snow and evade paying taxes (yet while they up north they have no problem driving on highways, using PT, and all sorts of other things like using public schools etc. nonchalantly).

A lot of people that move here are LAZY, and are satisfied with a bartender position if they don't have to mow their snow anymore. There are few who are career motivated, and fewer who move here and maintain, or create successful careers. MIND you there are certain work fields that some ppl are in that are always in demand (e.g. financials, medical to name 2 of the most popular); financial because there are a lot of people moving here with a lot of money and apparently they need to be advised what to do with it! medical because people DO move here to die here! Otherwise we wouldn't be so infested with trailer parks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are a LOT of people who also moved here to buy properties (at the peak 2006/2008) who got stuck here, and couldn't go back where they came from and now they're pissed, there are other who underestimated the "heat"...and find themselves indoors most of the time...unwilling to learn how to adapt to living with this weather....there are also a LOT of sex offenders...Livingston Ave going east is like Sex Offender Township!

You will have a very isolating life here because 1. It will be hard to find a group of people with similar interest as yours to connect with, that will take some work too accomplish, 2. Because most ppl work long hours, and don't have time to chit chat, when you make friends you have to try not to make them over 50 miles distance or you'll never see them....and so forth. There is also a HUGE disconnect between retirees and how "THEY" perceive their life and surroundings here...versus those who work...you will be sticker shocked by a LOT of items you will buy....this whole thing about FL being cheap is pure BS because I personally did price comparison shopping between Tampa and Vienna, VA (Next to DC) and found little to no difference in prices for basics like milk, OJ, butter, cheese, toilet paper, and so forth. There is a sticker shock between Tampa and Miami where Miami falls in line with NYC price wise.......why? because it is MIAMI! It is the MOST popular city in Florida...but then Orlando grocery prices are cheaper than Tampa. My bread costs $2.29 in Orlando and $2.89 here! why? I don't know cause it sure tastes the same.

IF you stay within a nice area, and pay premium for it, then you won't be subject to daily annoyances from drug addicts, and other people on the opposite side of the law; simple as that, and it applies to ALL US cities and not just Tampa. Yes we have more homeless, and sex offenders cause up north they're d*ck would freeze.....so a LOT of people move here cause being homeless here keeps someone warmer than up north! Same goes for California, MS, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and all warm states, they all have many many offenders because weather permits. Unfortunately in these states law enforcement is almost non existent, cause obviously if it was, there wouldn't be such an invasion of jerks.

Stop reading the news, and watching crap on TV...$hit happens everywhere....find the area you like when you come down and don't let other monitor your kids progress as they grow up.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Florida as a whole is loophole heaven for MANY northerners.

That's because we can never have smart/YOUNG politicians running this state. All we get are old and senile idiots! voted in by other senile Alzheimer patients! They are all working "hard" to make sure they are running this state into the ground, or let the 400lbs-ers sink it!

The people who move here are not all highly educated bright minds! if they were we would have more industries showing for it. A lot of people move here because they can avoid paying taxes, and have no need of a social life. There is no neighborly feel here where you see people talk to each other, borrowing an egg once in a blue moon....etc.
Like I told you in the other thread......you will have to LOOK a LOT which is why renting is a good idea at first, until you find that area that can fit you, and your vision of a family neighborhood. Most ppl move here and have no family ties here, and no need to make new friends either. They strictly move here to not have to shovel snow and evade paying taxes (yet while they up north they have no problem driving on highways, using PT, and all sorts of other things like using public schools etc. nonchalantly).

A lot of people that move here are LAZY, and are satisfied with a bartender position if they don't have to mow their snow anymore. There are few who are career motivated, and fewer who move here and maintain, or create successful careers. MIND you there are certain work fields that some ppl are in that are always in demand (e.g. financials, medical to name 2 of the most popular); financial because there are a lot of people moving here with a lot of money and apparently they need to be advised what to do with it! medical because people DO move here to die here! Otherwise we wouldn't be so infested with trailer parks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there are a LOT of people who also moved here to buy properties (at the peak 2006/2008) who got stuck here, and couldn't go back where they came from and now they're pissed, there are other who underestimated the "heat"...and find themselves indoors most of the time...unwilling to learn how to adapt to living with this weather....there are also a LOT of sex offenders...Livingston Ave going east is like Sex Offender Township!

You will have a very isolating life here because 1. It will be hard to find a group of people with similar interest as yours to connect with, that will take some work too accomplish, 2. Because most ppl work long hours, and don't have time to chit chat, when you make friends you have to try not to make them over 50 miles distance or you'll never see them....and so forth. There is also a HUGE disconnect between retirees and how "THEY" perceive their life and surroundings here...versus those who work...you will be sticker shocked by a LOT of items you will buy....this whole thing about FL being cheap is pure BS because I personally did price comparison shopping between Tampa and Vienna, VA (Next to DC) and found little to no difference in prices for basics like milk, OJ, butter, cheese, toilet paper, and so forth. There is a sticker shock between Tampa and Miami where Miami falls in line with NYC price wise.......why? because it is MIAMI! It is the MOST popular city in Florida...but then Orlando grocery prices are cheaper than Tampa. My bread costs $2.29 in Orlando and $2.89 here! why? I don't know cause it sure tastes the same.

IF you stay within a nice area, and pay premium for it, then you won't be subject to daily annoyances from drug addicts, and other people on the opposite side of the law; simple as that, and it applies to ALL US cities and not just Tampa. Yes we have more homeless, and sex offenders cause up north they're d*ck would freeze.....so a LOT of people move here cause being homeless here keeps someone warmer than up north! Same goes for California, MS, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and all warm states, they all have many many offenders because weather permits. Unfortunately in these states law enforcement is almost non existent, cause obviously if it was, there wouldn't be such an invasion of jerks.

Stop reading the news, and watching crap on TV...$hit happens everywhere....find the area you like when you come down and don't let other monitor your kids progress as they grow up.
Yeah, I know I am prolly getting on a lot of peoples nerves asking the same type of questions..I understand that..I just like reassurance, sometimes I just need people to put it into perspective for me to remind me WHY things are different in different areas and why I need to adapt to the area to make sure we succeed...Where I AM doing a lot of research I just come across SO much negativity about Florida that it scares me..so I come back here with questions to see you guys' take on it because you have always helped me in previous questions I had...again I am not worried about myself or my husband because we can def hold our own and aren't afraid of much but it is just my kids, where they're so young they don't have much to go on so I just want to do right by them..but I forget that as long as WE as parents raise them right they will be okay, as long as we make them smart enough to know what is right and wrong they will be fine...again sorry if I am annoying anyone I am not trying to I just get nervous because it is such a big move that we want to make sure we are doing the right thing that's all.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,264,097 times
I have to say, regarding the comment about feeling isolated, that I've heard several people on this forum complain about that, but it is not my experience in any way. I run into rude people occasionally, but I find the vast majority of people to be polite and friendly and interested in conversation. I really like people, so I go out of my way to make and maintain relationships, so that's a piece of it, I'm sure, but I'm nothing special, so I'm sure it can't be any more difficult to make friends here than anywhere else.

I've also done a comparison of sex offenders with other places when people were complaining that there are so many here, and it turned out there really aren't. I mean, any at all is not a good thing, but it isn't like this is a haven for offenders or anything. You can use https://www.crimereports.com/ or similar tools to compare where you are now to here. Remember to take into account population density as well as geographic area.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,186,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Yeah, I know I am prolly getting on a lot of peoples nerves asking the same type of questions..I understand that..I just like reassurance, sometimes I just need people to put it into perspective for me to remind me WHY things are different in different areas and why I need to adapt to the area to make sure we succeed...Where I AM doing a lot of research I just come across SO much negativity about Florida that it scares me..so I come back here with questions to see you guys' take on it because you have always helped me in previous questions I had...again I am not worried about myself or my husband because we can def hold our own and aren't afraid of much but it is just my kids, where they're so young they don't have much to go on so I just want to do right by them..but I forget that as long as WE as parents raise them right they will be okay, as long as we make them smart enough to know what is right and wrong they will be fine...again sorry if I am annoying anyone I am not trying to I just get nervous because it is such a big move that we want to make sure we are doing the right thing that's all.
I know what u mean! (FYI i am very blunt)...I spent 2 years researching areas to move to for my son who is Autistic and until we actually moved we did not know what that was going to be like.

It didn't work for us, and our family dynamics, so we moved back to Tampa!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

206 posts, read 502,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
If so many people hate Florida, why the population increase?
The same as any other move.

They throw caution to the wind, invest all in the move.

Whoops, place is not as they envisioned.

Trapped.

Hatred building as their dream evaporates.

Welcome to the American Dream

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I have to say, regarding the comment about feeling isolated, that I've heard several people on this forum complain about that, but it is not my experience in any way. I run into rude people occasionally, but I find the vast majority of people to be polite and friendly and interested in conversation. I really like people, so I go out of my way to make and maintain relationships, so that's a piece of it, I'm sure, but I'm nothing special, so I'm sure it can't be any more difficult to make friends here than anywhere else.

I've also done a comparison of sex offenders with other places when people were complaining that there are so many here, and it turned out there really aren't. I mean, any at all is not a good thing, but it isn't like this is a haven for offenders or anything. You can use https://www.crimereports.com/ or similar tools to compare where you are now to here. Remember to take into account population density as well as geographic area.
Quote:
You can use https://www.crimereports.com/ or similar tools to compare where you are now to here. Remember to take into account population density as well as geographic area.
Yeah that's why my husband said ''look at the size of Florida, it is like 5 states wrapped into one'' so it makes sense...bottom line I need to find a good area...if you don't mind me asking where/what area do you live in?? And how old are your kids?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,264,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Yeah that's why my husband said ''look at the size of Florida, it is like 5 states wrapped into one'' so it makes sense...bottom line I need to find a good area...if you don't mind me asking where/what area do you live in?? And how old are your kids?
We live in South Saint Pete. Now go make a post about that and watch all the responses you get about how it's a war zone; never go south of central, blah blah blah..... that's OK. It keeps those people away . Our neighborhood is one of the safest in the city. Some of the best schools are here. The place to be careful of Midtown. That's where much of the crime is localized.

If you're interested, good neighborhoods to look at down here are Maximo Moorings, Lakewood Estates, the Pink Streets, Tierra Verde, Coquina Key (closer to the water there is better, I believe).

We have six kids, ranging in age from 13 down to 4. So we have middle school and elementary at the moment. High school starts in the fall (yikes!).

Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
We live in South Saint Pete. Now go make a post about that and watch all the responses you get about how it's a war zone; never go south of central, blah blah blah..... that's OK. It keeps those people away . Our neighborhood is one of the safest in the city. Some of the best schools are here. The place to be careful of Midtown. That's where much of the crime is localized.

If you're interested, good neighborhoods to look at down here are Maximo Moorings, Lakewood Estates, the Pink Streets, Tierra Verde, Coquina Key (closer to the water there is better, I believe).

We have six kids, ranging in age from 13 down to 4. So we have middle school and elementary at the moment. High school starts in the fall (yikes!).
Thank you

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 9,415,353 times
Everyone I know here either really likes it of loves it. We absolutely love it. For us, it is paradise. We have a lot of family members who have moved to Florida, both here and other parts. Everyone loves it....which is why we all moved here.

You will find more people taking the time to voice unhappiness over anything, than happiness over something....which is why you will see as many unhappy comments on a forum type format. Note that these people are NOT "wrong" for not being happy in Florida...it's just that a forum does not represent the the masses in the same percentages.

I suppose people could be unhappy because they are just unhappy people who will always find the negative in things or maybe had a bad experience or are missing family or are colder weather people or blame the state for difficulty in gaining employment or any number of reasons.

To make it simple....there is no place on earth where every single person is happy. The unhappy people will usually be more vocal, as they are looking for answers or a solution.

It shouldn't matter to you if other people like or dislike the area. What should matter is if "you" will like the area. Only "you" can decide that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or