U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 AM

3,877 posts, read 2,949,802 times

Advertisements

They are haters who most likely are not from here who might have moved here. Who have developed a hate for the state at a younger age and no matter how good the state might be.There ignorance will only let them see the negative I love my paradise the state of Florida and i could give 2 Fs what anybody else thinks about it.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,617,544 times
Much of Florida is horrible sprawl with very little character.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM
NCN

21,139 posts, read 22,861,802 times
Happy people are happy and unhappy people complain. Could it be that a lot of unhappy people moved to Florida and Florida did not fix their lives?

But on the other hand, we have spent some of our most miserable and mostly our only miserable vacations in Florida. My husband's comment on that is "I haven't lost a thing in Florida so there is no reason to ever go back there." And that is true until one gets in the middle of Winter.

We loved Clearwater. Not many times in my life have we ever been in a neighborhood that made the hair raise up on the back of my neck, but we made a wrong exit in Tampa and it was scary even being in a moving car with the doors locked. We found a store and bought a Tampa map and got out of there.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM

293 posts, read 468,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Everyone I know here either really likes it of loves it. We absolutely love it. For us, it is paradise. We have a lot of family members who have moved to Florida, both here and other parts. Everyone loves it....which is why we all moved here.

You will find more people taking the time to voice unhappiness over anything, than happiness over something....which is why you will see as many unhappy comments on a forum type format. Note that these people are NOT "wrong" for not being happy in Florida...it's just that a forum does not represent the the masses in the same percentages.

I suppose people could be unhappy because they are just unhappy people who will always find the negative in things or maybe had a bad experience or are missing family or are colder weather people or blame the state for difficulty in gaining employment or any number of reasons.

To make it simple....there is no place on earth where every single person is happy. The unhappy people will usually be more vocal, as they are looking for answers or a solution.

It shouldn't matter to you if other people like or dislike the area. What should matter is if "you" will like the area. Only "you" can decide that.
I get that, I really do but the way they portray it is what scares me, basically saying they have huge spiders and bugs that terrorize them in their houses, and if they go outside you never know who will be the next person to try and rip you off and that everyone turns into drug addicts because the dr.'s are corrupt and just hand out pain pills no matter what the condition...that the kids have no chance and to NEVER consider Florida if one has kids because the state will ruin them because of the awful people that live there and no one is to be trusted...so with reading that over and over and OVER I started to think wow am I making the wrong choice?? So again I just like to get some reassurance esp from people with children that are in the school systems to have some positive stories to balance out all the bad, that's all

Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,405,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Happy people are happy and unhappy people complain. Could it be that a lot of unhappy people moved to Florida and Florida did not fix their lives?
Bingo.

Some people (who seem to forget they too came from elsewhere once upon a time) hate/blame northerners and others who relocate down here. I guess in their minds, Florida should have secured the borders once they got here.

I am sure that as others have stated, many come on vacation and think it's great and make an impulse decision to move here - without proper finances, a job, or what have you. And when it doesn't work out... It's of course because Florida sucks.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

293 posts, read 468,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

But on the other hand, we have spent some of our most miserable and mostly our only miserable vacations in Florida. My husband's comment on that is "I haven't lot a thing in Florida so there is no reason to ever go back there." And that is true until one gets in the middle of Winter.

We loved Clearwater. Not many times in my life have we ever been in a neighborhood that made the hair rise up on the back of neck, but we made a wrong exit in Tampa and it was scary even being in a moving car with the doors locked. We found a store and bought a Tampa map and got out of there.
very true...bad news travels fast

Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,617,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Bingo.

Some people (who seem to forget they too came from elsewhere once upon a time) hate/blame northerners and others who relocate down here. I guess in their minds, Florida should have secured the borders once they got here.

I am sure that as others have stated, many come on vacation and think it's great and make an impulse decision to move here - without proper finances, a job, or what have you. And when it doesn't work out... It's of course because Florida sucks.
That is true of any city though that gets a lot of transplants.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,574,262 times
I grew up here. When I graduated from college, I moved to a couple of different states before realizing Florida was where I belonged. I've been back almost 12 years now. I tell my husband all the time it would take an act of God to move me from here. I LOVE this state! I love the casual atmosphere and the weather. I also love the people in Florida. Folks here are friendly and approachable. I love the fact that I can do outdoor activities year-round.

Yes, you'll find Florida haters on here. Some of them have some legitimate complaints because they chose to live in neighborhoods/areas that are truly not good places to be. Others are just going to be unhappy people no matter where they live. The main thing to keep in mind when you are considering moving here is to do your research as you have been doing. Florida's areas are pretty diverse, so it will become a matter of visiting different places and seeing what fits your family.

For us, we decided Safety Harbor was the best fit. We absolutely LOVE it here! It is so convienient to everything … Tampa, the beaches, St. Pete, etc. Our neighbors here are wonderful. Our first day here, we were showered with cookies and treats and people came over to welcome us to the area. Our kids love being with the kids on our block and have made some really nice friends here. The people in Safety Harbor are well-educated without being pretentious snobs. There is a real sense of community in Safety Harbor that we just love. It is so family friendly, and people take great pride in living here. The schools are also good, which is a huge plus. I love being so close to the bay … it's great to go sit on the seawall and relax by the water. I tell my husband all the time this is it for us … I don't want to live anywhere else. Safety Harbor is home and I do not want to move unless we are forced to.

We considered Palm Harbor when we were planning our move, but it just seemed so spread out and the neighborhoods just seemed to lack character. I love older homes surrounded by big, beautiful oak trees, so those scantily-treed subdivisions just didn't do much for me.

We also considered Oldsmar, which I feel is a lot like Safety Harbor, only not as expensive. Unfortunately though, we couldn't find a house that fit our needs there.

We also considered Clearwater since my husband grew up there, but after spending some time researching the area we decided against it. The schools there were not as strong as they used to be, and it seemed like there were a lot of sketchy types walking around the streets.

So, continue to research places. Come visit. And don't let some of what you read sway you from exploring this great state. There are many of us who LOVE living here.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM

892 posts, read 1,407,040 times
Vabuda1......

Being from Massachusetts I'm sure you've heard the "stereotypes" of living and raising kids on Cape Cod.....

Lack of good jobs, drugs, transient nature, ect.......

The Cape is where I'm from....and that's where my family moved to Florida from.....

My parents were "sick of winter" and "sick of shoveling snow" so we moved down right after my sister graduated high school.......

They also wanted "more house for thier money".............

After many years here.....my parents have told us (my sister and I) that they regret moving here and should have thought about more than "no more snow".........because in so many ways- where we came from was better.....

In a sense.....Florida is like a giant Cape Cod- it shares many of the same traits.......and has many traits that the Cape doesn't.....like a "lack of a soul"......I'm sure you've heard that one before in all of your research......

I'm sure you've read many of the other posts i've written in response to your questions.........so I won't go on any further.....and "beat a dead horse".....

I will say this though.......Florida is a place that can EASILY capture your heart and mind at first......with the scenery, water, warm winters, "cheaper" living, ect.......

However, in my opinion.........Florida is a "shiny, thin veneer" covering up a deeply flawed place.......and it's the "veneer" that attracts so many people to want to move here.

Once again......just my opinion.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,288,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Bingo.

Yes...this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or