U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
293 posts, read 468,224 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Vabuda1......


Being from Massachusetts I'm sure you've heard the "stereotypes" of living and raising kids on Cape Cod.....

Lack of good jobs, drugs, transient nature, ect.......


The Cape is where I'm from....and that's where my family moved to Florida from.....


My parents were "sick of winter" and "sick of shoveling snow" so we moved down right after my sister graduated high school.......


They also wanted "more house for thier money".............


After many years here.....my parents have told us (my sister and I) that they regret moving here and should have thought about more than "no more snow".........because in so many ways- where we came from was better.....


In a sense.....Florida is like a giant Cape Cod- it shares many of the same traits.......and has many traits that the Cape doesn't.....like a "lack of a soul"......I'm sure you've heard that one before in all of your research......


I'm sure you've read many of the other posts i've written in response to your questions.........so I won't go on any further.....and "beat a dead horse".....


I will say this though.......Florida is a place that can EASILY capture your heart and mind at first......with the scenery, water, warm winters, "cheaper" living, ect.......


However, in my opinion.........Florida is a "shiny, thin veneer" covering up a deeply flawed place.......and it's the "veneer" that attracts so many people to want to move here.


Once again......just my opinion.
Why do your parents regret it?? What is it that they miss from back up north that they don't get in Florida?? As far as 'lack of soul' which really does seem to be a common complaint, I mean I like to talk and chit chat with people but I am def.not a 'can I borrow some sugar' type either..I have lived in my home for going on 2 years this March and honestly I don't know many of my neighbors at all...there is one right next door and they are very nice people but I don't go over and have coffee and hang out...they invited us over for a New Years Eve party and I pretended to be sick so I could politely not go...so as much as I am a friendly person..I don't need to feel like I can go over the neighbors house and hang out..I just want to know if they saw something fishy they'd warn me about it or something like that..some of the posters just make it seem like you will feel like you're trapped in a hell hole with no way out, that kids can't play outside due to child abductors or the fact that they can't even play in the yard due to spiders,snakes, and fire ants...that we will be stuck in the house for 6 months due to the heat and bugs...I just like to hear others experience including yours, esp where you're from the Cape (Which I LOVEEEEEEEE)
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,008,741 times
Reputation: 3510
OP, You're doing the right thing with all the research and I would advise you to visit as much as possible if you're having any doubts. I was already pretty familiar with the area when I moved here for work. I have a good job, live in a nice neighborhood, and I'm not miserable, but I still just don't like the area enough to stay. There are some good things about the area but it's really just the *whole package* I don't care for.

I'm really not trying to discourage you from moving here, just giving you a different perspective. Keep in mind that there is a lot of negativity associated with Florida. The reason is Florida is not for everyone. Keep doing your research until you have put away ALL doubts.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
 
892 posts, read 1,406,920 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Why do your parents regret it?? What is it that they miss from back up north that they don't get in Florida?? As far as 'lack of soul' which really does seem to be a common complaint, I mean I like to talk and chit chat with people but I am def.not a 'can I borrow some sugar' type either..I have lived in my home for going on 2 years this March and honestly I don't know many of my neighbors at all...there is one right next door and they are very nice people but I don't go over and have coffee and hang out...they invited us over for a New Years Eve party and I pretended to be sick so I could politely not go...so as much as I am a friendly person..I don't need to feel like I can go over the neighbors house and hang out..I just want to know if they saw something fishy they'd warn me about it or something like that..some of the posters just make it seem like you will feel like you're trapped in a hell hole with no way out, that kids can't play outside due to child abductors or the fact that they can't even play in the yard due to spiders,snakes, and fire ants...that we will be stuck in the house for 6 months due to the heat and bugs...I just like to hear others experience including yours, esp where you're from the Cape (Which I LOVEEEEEEEE)

Like I said......I don't want to "beat a dead horse" because it will cause a "pissing match" with some folks on here........


I mentioned in another thread that you started.....the work environment. The fields that you and your husband are in will apply to what I'm saying....the work ethic and overall quality of the people that you will work with (and for) will likely not be what you're used to. So, you would think (logically) that you will pass those people bye and "climb the ladder" so to speak......but business just moves a lot slower down here and with a degree of unprofessionalism about it.......low standards are exactly that...standard and expected. Being driven and ambitious are often times wasted down here because of the work environment.

Again.......I'm not talking about doctors, lawers, engineers, ect......I'm referring to "blue collar" professions (although calling them that in Florida is not really accurate)........I'm telling you, the way a lot of businesses and employees operate down here.....they wouldn't make it for 5 minutes in the Northeast.

This is one of the main reasons my parents regret coming here......not the only one- but a big factor none the less.

Get ready for the people who will accuse me of "not being able to make it here" and the "I've lived here for a few months and I don't agree"...........I assure you that I am "making it" here- but the work environment is beyond frustrating.

Again....just my opinion/experiences
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
Some folks expect some sort of magical paradise where you live on air and hang out at the beach side tiki bar all day. Surely, if you are a trust fund kid or a retiree, you can do that and so much more. I feel that most people look at it as a new place to live to start, or continue successful lives. People relocate to different states all the time. Florida is a choice destination for many. It's more than the weather and the beaches that attract them.

I've not met too many people that came here hoping to fix their lives or moved from a successful situation to nothing with nothing. Most I know came for the weather, the recreational choices, a more modern choice of housing stock, a relief from big city life all with a plan and the finances to support it along with life skills valuable to employers. Its the magical paradise folks that seem to have the most trouble here. Retirees grow old and some pine for being back in their place of origin, others never look back.

With 19 million people in the state there is a wide variety of differences here and if one is used to a certain way of life and don't want to change it drastically, don't relocate anywhere.



Its the magical paradise folks that seem to have the most trouble here. Florida is just like any other state. It has its good points and its bad points. I find that city life in FL is difficult due to the extreme congestion. That is what caused me to bail out of Orlando and seek a quieter more laid back region of the
state. Wound up just 90 miles due West of Orlando.

Florida offers different choices for people. You can have the stress of city life or the casual suburban way. There is also the more rural options.

I don't understand why one poster does not think that transplants pay taxes. Most buy houses. Homeowners pay taxes to their county. Transplants drive cars. More taxes paid for the roadways and the transportation infrastructure. Many transplants work and support the local economy overall. Even the retirees who are so loathed by some are paying property taxes, sales taxes, vehicle registration taxes, just like everyone else.

It also should be noted that a lot of people come here with a holier than thou attitude and find that it does not fly too well here. They cant assimilate. They grow every frustrated and find fault with everything and I do mean everything. Yet, year after year they exist here, never getting enough gumption to do what they need to do such as relocate. Of course they blame all of this on the State of Florida, most parts of which none of them have ever seen so they have very narrow views on the state.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
293 posts, read 468,224 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Like I said......I don't want to "beat a dead horse" because it will cause a "pissing match" with some folks on here........


I mentioned in another thread that you started.....the work environment. The fields that you and your husband are in will apply to what I'm saying....the work ethic and overall quality of the people that you will work with (and for) will likely not be what you're used to. So, you would think (logically) that you will pass those people bye and "climb the ladder" so to speak......but business just moves a lot slower down here and with a degree of unprofessionalism about it.......low standards are exactly that...standard and expected. Being driven and ambitious are often times wasted down here because of the work environment.

Again.......I'm not talking about doctors, lawers, engineers, ect......I'm referring to "blue collar" professions (although calling them that in Florida is not really accurate)........I'm telling you, the way a lot of businesses and employees operate down here.....they wouldn't make it for 5 minutes in the Northeast.

This is one of the main reasons my parents regret coming here......not the only one- but a big factor none the less.

Get ready for the people who will accuse me of "not being able to make it here" and the "I've lived here for a few months and I don't agree"...........I assure you that I am "making it" here- but the work environment is beyond frustrating.

Again....just my opinion/experiences
No, I get it and it is a common complaint as well...VERY common actually..but again he is self-employed and he may already have a lead as he is in talks with a big wig for Lowes and their flooring department(or w/e it is that he is, basically someone that can get him in with Lowes to be a sub contractor for them) so if he gets 'in' with Lowes subbing out work to him before we really even start looking for places to sub out work we are in a really good spot...I get it when they say because of lack of jobs, so not too worried about that because we will only make the move if our house sells for what we want and we have a large nest egg to fall back on IF his work doesn't go as planned...but aside of the work they still make it seem like pure hell on earth? Maybe because they have no jobs so they focus on everything else to maximize their hatred idk but it def. scared me...I want my kids to be able to play outside and make friends and not have to worry about them becoming drug addict lowlifes...I would like to think we can raise them right and hopefully make them understand why doing any of that is simply not tolerated and that they are better than that but there is peer pressure etc. idk again I just get nervous because you always want to make sure you're doing the right thing and I just get so freaked reading all the HATE there is for Florida, it really is eye opening...but it is nice to see the good experiences, it def eases my mind. Also it is true you're more likely going to see a negative post than a positive it just is the way it is
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
Some are trapped in a hell hole with how way out, etc. That is why they hate here so much.
They are forced to be here for one reason or another. Some feel that since it is Florida it should be a "borrow a cup of sugar" world for them where they will be universally accepted and paradise prevails over all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Why do your parents regret it?? What is it that they miss from back up north that they don't get in Florida?? As far as 'lack of soul' which really does seem to be a common complaint, I mean I like to talk and chit chat with people but I am def.not a 'can I borrow some sugar' type either..I have lived in my home for going on 2 years this March and honestly I don't know many of my neighbors at all...there is one right next door and they are very nice people but I don't go over and have coffee and hang out...they invited us over for a New Years Eve party and I pretended to be sick so I could politely not go...so as much as I am a friendly person..I don't need to feel like I can go over the neighbors house and hang out..I just want to know if they saw something fishy they'd warn me about it or something like that..some of the posters just make it seem like you will feel like you're trapped in a hell hole with no way out, that kids can't play outside due to child abductors or the fact that they can't even play in the yard due to spiders,snakes, and fire ants...that we will be stuck in the house for 6 months due to the heat and bugs...I just like to hear others experience including yours, esp where you're from the Cape (Which I LOVEEEEEEEE)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
293 posts, read 468,224 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some are trapped in a hell hole with how way out, etc. That is why they hate here so much.
They are forced to be here for one reason or another. Some feel that since it is Florida it should be a "borrow a cup of sugar" world for them where they will be universally accepted and paradise prevails over all.
Right, I get it you should hear the complaints of the people where I live now...when I log into my Facebook there are a bevy of people complaining about the weather, no jobs, the people, the crime, how bad the public schools are etc., how all the kids are self entitled lazy jerks, and so on...so I guess my real concern is if my kids will do okay and can they safely play outside...are there a lot of options for indoor activities or places if the weather is too hot ?? Are they going to be in constant jeopardy of getting bit by spiders,snakes and fire ants if they want to play in the yard?? Would they be okay to walk to the corner store without the fear of getting picked off the streets by some sicko (when they're a little older of course talking 12-13 years old)??
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
 
15,832 posts, read 33,170,911 times
Reputation: 20021
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Right, I get it you should hear the complaints of the people where I live now...when I log into my Facebook there are a bevy of people complaining about the weather, no jobs, the people, the crime, how bad the public schools are etc., how all the kids are self entitled lazy jerks, and so on...so I guess my real concern is if my kids will do okay and can they safely play outside...are there a lot of options for indoor activities or places if the weather is too hot ?? Are they going to be in constant jeopardy of getting bit by spiders,snakes and fire ants if they want to play in the yard?? Would they be okay to walk to the corner store without the fear of getting picked off the streets by some sicko (when they're a little older of course talking 12-13 years old)??
OK, I grew up in Florida (I am a native) and it was never too hot to play outside, I LIVED outside practically, my schools weren't even air conditioned and guess what I survived just fine! LOL I got bit and stung by my share of ants, bees and wasps, and survived those too! Never had anyone attempt to abduct me, either.

Just move into a nice neighborhood with parks and playgrounds accessible to your kids and be good parents and teach them what they need to know about life. I really don't get this extreme apprehensiveness about letting your kids outside, etc. it's no different here than anywhere else! But no one can give you a guarantee about anything, honestly at this point I would say you should probably stay where you are, you just seem way too wary about everything here, and I mean that in a kind way.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
That is why people relocate. Unhappy with their current location. Life is much the same no matter where we go. People are people.


1. Your kids will do fine. Yes, they can play safely outside so long as you're not living in the ghetto as then they would face a lot of problems same as if they lived in say Brownsville, Brooklyn. Big difference between Brownsville and Ditmas Park for instance.

Spiders, snakes, fire ants. They live here too. Spiders are not "people" type bugs. They avoid us.
Snakes are the same way. They tend to avoid people and any exposure to them. If you step on a snake, well, it may well bite. Fire ants live in colonies. You can spot a fire ant mound easily. If you keep your yard neat and nice you should have no problem with fire ants.

FL is not some wild crazy place where there everyone lives in an uncivilized normal manner.









Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Right, I get it you should hear the complaints of the people where I live now...when I log into my Facebook there are a bevy of people complaining about the weather, no jobs, the people, the crime, how bad the public schools are etc., how all the kids are self entitled lazy jerks, and so on...so I guess my real concern is if my kids will do okay and can they safely play outside...are there a lot of options for indoor activities or places if the weather is too hot ?? Are they going to be in constant jeopardy of getting bit by spiders,snakes and fire ants if they want to play in the yard?? Would they be okay to walk to the corner store without the fear of getting picked off the streets by some sicko (when they're a little older of course talking 12-13 years old)??
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM
 
205 posts, read 260,525 times
Reputation: 176
Florida is a state that is almost entirely based on tourism and first impressions. This should answer all questions about why people love it or hate it here.

People come here for three days to vacation...visit the mouse, visit the beach, go golfing, sit by the pool, then go back up north and rave about the great time they had. People hear this and go "well, if this place is so great, maybe I should just go live there!" The people who do even a little research on the area tend to have a better time after moving here than those who base it off a 3-day Orlando vacation. So you are doing the right thing.

For the record, I grew up here. I mostly went through advanced/magnet programs and stuff, and didn't have any significant problems involving the schooling. If you do your research and live in a good area, there will be good schools there too. As for drugs, I only knew about people that were offered weed in high school, and some of the kids got into it. But every school in America has this exact same problem. If your kids are parented well then they will stay away. Florida is a perfectly safe and normal place to raise kids.

I will attest to the "getting depressed" thing. Everyone is different, but I tend to get depressed here sometimes, not because I dislike living here, just because it's so easy to sit inside your house with the AC on and do nothing sometimes. This isn't a city/urban-type lifestyle where everyone around you is busy and you get swept up in the action. Everyone has their own private suburban lot here...their own space...nobody bothers you really, it's quiet at home, and you have to go drive to get anything here, can't just walk down to the corner market or hop on a bus...you're on your own, have to motivate yourself to go do things and drive to things you like to do. If you're someone who mostly wants to be out doing something, then you won't have a problem with this at all.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top