U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM

3,112 posts, read 5,447,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRican View Post
My recommendation is, that you really ask yourself "why do I want to mve to Florida?". Write down all the pros and cons from where you are and where you want to move. Compare cost of living, income, housing cost, schools, etc., also think about how it may affect your family.
Great advice. That's exactly what I did when I got the opportunity to relocate here.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM

293 posts, read 469,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRican View Post
My recommendation is, that you really ask yourself "why do I want to mve to Florida?". Write down all the pros and cons from where you are and where you want to move. Compare cost of living, income, housing cost, schools, etc., also think about how it may affect your family.

That is what I did 18 years ago when I moved from NYC to Chesterfield, VA; and don't regret any second. Have a wonderful career, plus own a number of investment properties. You mentioned that the reason you're moving is because of a possible opportunity with Lowes. If that is th case, you may want to also look at other states, especially those with lower unemployment rates as well as increasing construction jobs.

Good luck.
Noooo, that is not the REASON we are moving..he is very successful up here we just want a change..the city is going to hell and it is absolutely freezing half the year and gray..it puts me in a depression type 'funk'..no colors, no warmth, my skin cracks and bleeds my hair is a MESS from these temps..my kids are constantly stuck inside because in order to go outside they need to dress like an eskimo and they hate it, so they stay in and just go crazy on each other from cabin fever...I don't think Florida will save us from any problems we may have..which honestly our problems are not big at all we are very happy as a family and love trying to find things for us to do as a family on the weekends together..just today we were going to trey and look for something to do(indoors of course) and we were going to go to the go kart place...it was over an hour away and costs $55. per person!!! So that didn't happen, but we watched movies (as usual) which was fine..but the only 'problem' we are having as of recent times is trying to get caught up on bills due to paying out over $400 a month in heating costs alone!! And I am only working 1 day a week because my son is too young for school and we can't afford child care..also where I took 7 years off from working to raise a family (well still working but only 1 day) I lost all of my clientele..and now the salons are all 'booth renter' salons that req. you to have your own clientele so you can't really rebuild...the reason I mentioned Lowes is because he is a flooring subcontractor and he would have to find leads to jobs etc so if he got into Lowes that would be a great start until he built up a good enough reputation with the guys that like to sub out work and then he would grow from there...I have checked a lot of salons down there and there are a lot of commission based salons that are looking for stylists to take their walkins which would be perfect for me..I think it would be like a fresh new start and an exciting adventure for us, where we are so close and love spending all of our free time with each other we would have a lot to explore down there and lots to learn about. Yes there is still day to day life we get that, but there is free time as well and where we would have to move from here soon enough due to the city becoming a crap hole why not try something new??? Just making sure we weren't making a mistake by choosing Florida that's all...hence the million questions Good idea on the writing down pros and cons others have mentioned the same thing before..so I will give a try..

Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM

188 posts, read 287,036 times
We've lived her for 7 months now. It's quite different from our hometown and has been a transition, but I can't say I regret it at all. Like everywhere, there are goods and bads. We transfered here with jobs so I'm sure that helped. I can't speak for every area of Tampa Bay as there's still a ton I've never seen, but I don't feel unsafe (we're currently in Land O Lakes) and have found most of our neighbors to be very friendly. The kids are finding friends at school, one more quickly than the other, but I can say the same about my husband and I. I think he had a harder time not knowing anyone when we got here than I did. Then again, I had neighbors, school teachers, etc. that went the extra mile knowing we were new. I'm not sure my husband gets that at work and could be the reason for our different feelings. Either way, we both agree this winter weather is heavenly. Summer is a beast, no doubt. We've enjoyed being so close to Disney and you could probably say we're still in a honeymoon phase exploring all the new things around us.

Renting when we got here was the best thing we could have done. While I do have nice neighbors and the house if fine, I don't like where it is. Too far out with crappy schools. Imagine if I had bought the house! Renting is allowing me to decide where I do want to be with good schools for the kids. In fact, after lots of exploring and research, we're working on buying a house in Trinity right now. It seems to be a good fit for our budget and family.

Anyway, I over-thought everything about our move here too. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I was as prepared as I could have been. I think it helped. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 9,440,480 times
OP, while I cannot tell you if you should or should not move to Florida.....and neither can anyone else....I can say you seem very unsure about what you want. My experience has been that if a person makes a decision when unsure, it often ends up with poor results.

We did lots and lots of research and also visited over a period of decades. We "knew" where we wanted to be. There was absolutely no question in our minds if we should or should not come here. Florida is no different than any other state in terms of having good and bad areas. That is part of doing research.....to ensure you end up in a good location.

This is a big decision for you. You need to feel extremely confident in your final decision. You need to know what you want. The best decisions in life come when you know exactly what you want, have done all the research, and then commit. If you cannot satisfy all three....then you really need to ask yourself if this is the time for YOU to make such a decision.

Best of luck. For us, it was the best decision we could have made. It is what we always wanted. We are extremely happy and grateful. Life here is wonderful.....for us.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM

293 posts, read 469,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
OP, while I cannot tell you if you should or should not move to Florida.....and neither can anyone else....I can say you seem very unsure about what you want. My experience has been that if a person makes a decision when unsure, it often ends up with poor results.

We did lots and lots of research and also visited over a period of decades. We "knew" where we wanted to be. There was absolutely no question in our minds if we should or should not come here. Florida is no different than any other state in terms of having good and bad areas. That is part of doing research.....to ensure you end up in a good location.

This is a big decision for you. You need to feel extremely confident in your final decision. You need to know what you want. The best decisions in life come when you know exactly what you want, have done all the research, and then commit. If you cannot satisfy all three....then you really need to ask yourself if this is the time for YOU to make such a decision.

Best of luck. For us, it was the best decision we could have made. It is what we always wanted. We are extremely happy and grateful. Life here is wonderful.....for us.
Right, well we are not moving next week it would still be in the 1.5 yr range that we were shooting for and that is if our house sells fast..I was totally gung ho at first but maybe I am reading TOO much?? I can't help it if hearing all those things makes me question it, I haven't done our first visit yet either..(I have vaca'd but never for solely researching neighborhoods to maybe live in)..I sound uncertain because of reading a lot of the same things..now if it were about jobs I'd get it heard it all before..but this was entire web pages dedicated to HATING Florida!!! So upon reading it made me nervous and who could blame me..so I asked why would someone hate Florida so damn much to go out of their way to find pages dedicated to hating it and then creating user accts so they can post how much they hated it as well??!!! I came back with questions because I can count of the majority of you guys to tell me your situations and give advice..I know it seems like the same ol' questions that you all have answered for me before but it more had to do with them saying it is like the drug addict mecca of the whole US!! That everyone is corrupt and will con you and steal from you every chance they get ..the kids are gang bangers in basically elementary school!! And this is from multiple people..I mean pages upon pages..so it did scare me, yes it did... hence me coming back with questions for reassurance

Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 PM

40,413 posts, read 19,625,931 times
We moved here in July so we were here for the two hottest months. They were hot and even more they are incredibly humid. Thats what air conditioning is for. In truth I never experienced anything like the humidity.....it was like trying to breath thru a wet sheet.....but that was only outside.....our house was very comfortable.....and the car comfortable, stores comfortable, theaters comfortable. Starting in October the weather has been like paradise....day after day of beautiful weather. In our summers we get heavy rain almost every afternoon.....for about an hour ..... beautiful sunny day.....thunder and lightning and then lovely evening. It is the rainy season.

My DP played tennis at least 5 times a week.....the games were just scheduled early (8:30).....and he took a change of clothes with him because he perspired so much. I pretty much stayed in the A/C house and in the pool on the lanai.....it was much easier to deal with than the winters in Maine.....which were brutally cold and the roads were scary for us....(we dont drive on ice and snow with any confidence.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 PM

12,257 posts, read 14,217,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Makes sense, I figured that may be more toward Miami as far as the immigrants..not saying they couldn't be in Tampa, Clearwater area as they are in Mass as well but I figured they would more likely be more south of that area
Broward has a huge Brazilian population.
Boynton Beach/Delray has a sizable Haitian population.
Miami has lots of Cubans but most of them are citizens (born here)
Farming areas like Belle Glade has lots of Guatemalans/Mexicans

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM

15,867 posts, read 33,289,355 times
You know, the internet is both a blessing and a curse..........

I think the real research will be when you come here and see and experience things for yourself.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,270,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You know, the internet is both a blessing and a curse..........

I think the real research will be when you come here and see and experience things for yourself.
Yes, this ^

Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM

12,257 posts, read 14,217,057 times
Funny post #58 was from a person from Buffalo, NY........yep paradise, aka the mistake by the lake! I love the God hates FL part and the pray for me and my church......

One good saying about Flariduh: "Flariduh is a sunny place for shady people!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or