U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,623,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I think a lot of people come to Florida thinking that blue skies, a palm tree and being near Disney or the ocean is going to fix their lives................
So here's the deal: blue skies are better than gray clouds, palm trees are better than bare wintry trees, Disney and the ocean are both pretty magical compared to your central US endless farm fields.

All things being equal, Florida can be prettty wonderful. Yeah, life is complicated--but Florida is grand, I don't care what anybody says.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM

293 posts, read 469,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So here's the deal: blue skies are better than gray clouds, palm trees are better than bare wintry trees, Disney and the ocean are both pretty magical compared to your central US endless farm fields.

All things being equal, Florida can be prettty wonderful. Yeah, life is complicated--but Florida is grand, I don't care what anybody says.
I can say that I get the 'getting used to it' part when you're from up North..it OBV. has to be an adjustment if you're used to crisp leaves with cool air meaning Oct., random blizzard for late fall/early winter/winter/ and even early spring so basically Oct-April 15th and including the winter holidays Tgiving,Xmas, NYE, Valentines day(not a real 'holiday' but when you have kids it kinda is when they are in elementary school) St Patricks Day (always had a great parade up here for this day) and now it is all of the sudden GORGEOUS through all of that!! You once hated this time of year (weather wise) and now it is awesome!!! But then the months you always looked forward to is the new 'winter' meaning tough 6 months of weather..but in a different way..oppressive heat and humidity,bugs, whatever...again you can still be happy in warmth and sunshine...yes hurricanes is going to take some getting used to as far as taking it as a serious threat because I NEVER had to worry about those really, we got a couple but they were extremely weak more like an extra windy day..so yeah I may get nervous if one rolls through..prolly the same if someone that never had snow would feel in a blizzard where they never drove in snow it can be quite scary!! But I would like to think it would be a positive...I'd much rather be hot than cold...I can't get the cold out of my body right now as we speak...it is 68 in my house right now and that is considered WARM!! You turn up that heat and oh boy bye bye money...so have to be in 10 layers to feel warm I have 2 pairs of socks on now and my toes are ice Brrrrrrrrrrr....so with a lot of different point of views it makes me more at ease and eager instead of anxious to move forward...I will try to plan some time this summer to make a trip to get a taste of summer living in Florida....

Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM

293 posts, read 469,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is why people relocate. Unhappy with their current location. Life is much the same no matter where we go. People are people.

1. Your kids will do fine. Yes, they can play safely outside so long as you're not living in the ghetto as then they would face a lot of problems same as if they lived in say Brownsville, Brooklyn. Big difference between Brownsville and Ditmas Park for instance.

Spiders, snakes, fire ants. They live here too. Spiders are not "people" type bugs. They avoid us.
Snakes are the same way. They tend to avoid people and any exposure to them. If you step on a snake, well, it may well bite. Fire ants live in colonies. You can spot a fire ant mound easily. If you keep your yard neat and nice you should have no problem with fire ants.

FL is not some wild crazy place where there everyone lives in an uncivilized normal manner.
Omg I think I missed this post earlier..but after just reading it I wanted to say you made me literally L.O.L.!! I think I may be OVER thinking everything..I gotta just chill out and see for myself and stop going on the internet LMAO!!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

65 posts, read 246,939 times
I suggest you go down at different times of the year, as well as look at different towns, neighborhoods, cities, etc. Once you find a town/location you like, visit the schools, talk to the teachers and parents. Dont go by what you read on the internet, most of them are probably giving you part of the picture, not the complete story.

As you already know, I'm not from Florida, but I go down at least 2-3 times a year to visit my parents and sister. I have visited different areas of the state and all I can say is that not everyone is rude as people may say.

I do have to say, and I hope I dont upset anyone, but I founder that people in the northern part of the state are friendlier (such as Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Tallahassee Gainesville, etc.) I also think you find more of a southern hospitality in these areas than the central southern part of the state. Please know that this is just my opinion and others may see it differently.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

3,112 posts, read 5,445,688 times
Here's something I am using as a barometer to keep it all in perspective:

My neighbor is a multi-millionaire and owns multiple homes in Europe (and who knows where else) but his family spends most of their time here. The fact that someone who could clearly live anywhere chooses to spend the majority of the time here tells me quite alot. Living here is pretty darn good.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM

205 posts, read 261,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
I wont keep posting and for w/e reason I can't find the post about the elementary 'gangbangers' lol But seriously it goes on and on..So after reading these things I got a bit nervous not gonna lie..now reading back I can see they prolly have there own 'real' reasons for hating Florida and it prolly has nothing to do with Florida at all but again just to give an idea of the things I came across...
That post you copy-pasted was the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Do drivers tailgate here? Yes. I have also never been in an accident here.
Are there roaches and mosquitoes here? Yes. There are also ticks up north, but does everyone get lyme disease? No.
Are there are hurricanes here? Yes. Are there nor'easters up north? Yes, weather events happen everywhere, and most people weather them (no pun intended) just fine. No different here.
Is there crime here? Yes, in BAD areas, so just don't live in those bad areas, and there will be little to no crime!
Are there rude people here? Yes. I've also made the best friends of my life here.
All of this other stuff...inbreeding, all restaurants give you diarrhea, cops hiding everywhere spying on you...this person is a rambling lunatic. Zero of this is true, and again, I've lived here 24 years. I hope she did indeed move because her type is more dangerous here than tailgaters and mosquitoes.

Also, I find it incredibly dubious that she's lived here from 4 until her adult years, gotten married, got a job here, etc., compares living here to living in hell, and still has yet to leave the state. Not to mention this flaw in logic: everyone here is rude and terrible, she can't escape the state, and yet she is married.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM

733 posts, read 1,385,579 times
^absolutely right!

I'm moving to Florida IN 33 DAYS (!!!) and I know I have to sacrifice some things in order to gain other things. I'm willing to accept all of that.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 AM

40,411 posts, read 19,624,978 times
Who ever wrote all that trash talk about Florida.....must have been looking in the mirror and describing themselves and their own family.....hopefully they have moved back to where ever they think is their "hearts desire".

"No matter where you go...........There you are."

Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 AM

6 posts, read 12,772 times
I live in Central Florida, and I love it. Moved here from North Carolina. I have 2 kids 9 and 12 yrs of age. They attend a great school - we live in a rural area just outside Orlando.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,205,984 times
There are NO BUGS unless you're going to live outside in a forest patch! or you cannot clean your house and live in a dump, or cannot afford pest control....or boric acid at Home Depot. Around parks you may find bee's and wasps but if you leave them alone, they live you alone! (unless they have rabies and are in attack mode! I AM KIDDING!!!!!) LOL We have alligators too...don't leave the dog out by himself if you live close to a pond, and you don't have a fence.
in 2008:
‘There’s an alligator in my kitchen!’ - TODAY News - TODAY.com

We get less hurricanes than you get blizzards. AND we get warnings regarding hurricanes and nobody is surprised by them anymore. They notify us with plenty of time to get out of the way. If my AC goes below 77 my feet would freeze too in the house here! This is what I wear here: 2 Pairs Womens Non Skid Slipper Socks - Blue Purple at Cutesense.com

The good thing here for the most part is that if it gets too cold inside I can step outside to warm up for free! LOL You will replace the heating bill with the AC bill, so don't assume that you will no longer have high bills. The bigger the house you get, the larger the AC bill. Our heater now is a gas heater and in these months right now the highest bill so far was $56 bucks...and the AC went down to $115 because we don't run it as much now, or at all. Your water bill will be significantly higher if you lawn sprinklers are using the same tap water. If you find a place that has reclaimed water for the lawn, then your water bill will be cheaper as the reclaimed water is billed with the sewer in some places. We had it separate when we lived in Orlando.

There is only so much re-search you can do online, so don't stress too much right now if you're not yet close to actually moving. Take a few trips down, and try to replicate your routine now...and see how you like it, but keep in mind that it won't be the same as if you lived here permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
I can say that I get the 'getting used to it' part when you're from up North..it OBV. has to be an adjustment if you're used to crisp leaves with cool air meaning Oct., random blizzard for late fall/early winter/winter/ and even early spring so basically Oct-April 15th and including the winter holidays Tgiving,Xmas, NYE, Valentines day(not a real 'holiday' but when you have kids it kinda is when they are in elementary school) St Patricks Day (always had a great parade up here for this day) and now it is all of the sudden GORGEOUS through all of that!! You once hated this time of year (weather wise) and now it is awesome!!! But then the months you always looked forward to is the new 'winter' meaning tough 6 months of weather..but in a different way..oppressive heat and humidity,bugs, whatever...again you can still be happy in warmth and sunshine...yes hurricanes is going to take some getting used to as far as taking it as a serious threat because I NEVER had to worry about those really, we got a couple but they were extremely weak more like an extra windy day..so yeah I may get nervous if one rolls through..prolly the same if someone that never had snow would feel in a blizzard where they never drove in snow it can be quite scary!! But I would like to think it would be a positive...I'd much rather be hot than cold...I can't get the cold out of my body right now as we speak...it is 68 in my house right now and that is considered WARM!! You turn up that heat and oh boy bye bye money...so have to be in 10 layers to feel warm I have 2 pairs of socks on now and my toes are ice Brrrrrrrrrrr....so with a lot of different point of views it makes me more at ease and eager instead of anxious to move forward...I will try to plan some time this summer to make a trip to get a taste of summer living in Florida....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or