U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM

293 posts, read 468,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
There are NO BUGS unless you're going to live outside in a forest patch! or you cannot clean your house and live in a dump, or cannot afford pest control....or boric acid at Home Depot. Around parks you may find bee's and wasps but if you leave them alone, they live you alone! (unless they have rabies and are in attack mode! I AM KIDDING!!!!!) LOL We have alligators too...don't leave the dog out by himself if you live close to a pond, and you don't have a fence.
in 2008:
‘There’s an alligator in my kitchen!’ - TODAY News - TODAY.com

We get less hurricanes than you get blizzards. AND we get warnings regarding hurricanes and nobody is surprised by them anymore. They notify us with plenty of time to get out of the way. If my AC goes below 77 my feet would freeze too in the house here! This is what I wear here: 2 Pairs Womens Non Skid Slipper Socks - Blue Purple at Cutesense.com

The good thing here for the most part is that if it gets too cold inside I can step outside to warm up for free! LOL You will replace the heating bill with the AC bill, so don't assume that you will no longer have high bills. The bigger the house you get, the larger the AC bill. Our heater now is a gas heater and in these months right now the highest bill so far was $56 bucks...and the AC went down to $115 because we don't run it as much now, or at all. Your water bill will be significantly higher if you lawn sprinklers are using the same tap water. If you find a place that has reclaimed water for the lawn, then your water bill will be cheaper as the reclaimed water is billed with the sewer in some places. We had it separate when we lived in Orlando.

There is only so much re-search you can do online, so don't stress too much right now if you're not yet close to actually moving. Take a few trips down, and try to replicate your routine now...and see how you like it, but keep in mind that it won't be the same as if you lived here permanently.
Thank you Algia
Rate this post positively

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM

550 posts, read 598,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRican View Post
I suggest you go down at different times of the year, as well as look at different towns, neighborhoods, cities, etc. Once you find a town/location you like, visit the schools, talk to the teachers and parents. Dont go by what you read on the internet, most of them are probably giving you part of the picture, not the complete story.

As you already know, I'm not from Florida, but I go down at least 2-3 times a year to visit my parents and sister. I have visited different areas of the state and all I can say is that not everyone is rude as people may say.

I do have to say, and I hope I dont upset anyone, but I founder that people in the northern part of the state are friendlier (such as Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Tallahassee Gainesville, etc.) I also think you find more of a southern hospitality in these areas than the central southern part of the state. Please know that this is just my opinion and others may see it differently.

I spent 20 years living all over FL and have been stuck in IL for the past 6 years.
I can not wait to get out of here and move back to FL, even though I was raised in IL and most of my family still lives here. I think they are crazy for staying here.
I truly detest everything about winter.
I prefer north FL because there is a definite change of season, some mild cooler weather in the winter and a beautiful spring with lots of blooming trees and flowers.
It definitely has more "southern hospitality" than south FL.
But I also enjoyed 'vacationing' in south FL. It is totally different than the northern part of the state. I certainly have never encountered people anywhere in FL that were noticiably more rude than people in other states.
The most obnoxious people I've ever come across in FL were tourists

Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,193,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
VERY TRUE! But that's because they only have a limited amount of time, and they want to pack as much in as possible, which is understanding, but not an excuse to be jerks.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I spent 20 years living all over FL and have been stuck in IL for the past 6 years.
I can not wait to get out of here and move back to FL, even though I was raised in IL and most of my family still lives here. I think they are crazy for staying here.
I truly detest everything about winter.
I prefer north FL because there is a definite change of season, some mild cooler weather in the winter and a beautiful spring with lots of blooming trees and flowers.
It definitely has more "southern hospitality" than south FL.
But I also enjoyed 'vacationing' in south FL. It is totally different than the northern part of the state. I certainly have never encountered people anywhere in FL that were noticiably more rude than people in other states.
What is Tampa considered? North,Central, or Southern Fl??

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

91 posts, read 159,287 times
I grew up mostly in VT, went to a private high school and college in western MA, and worked summers on the Cape/Islands. In '79 I went to FL cuz I was sick of winter.
Initially I lived in Palm Beach county then moved to the Gainesville area and stayed there more than 20 years. I own a home there and since it's paid off, I have no intention of selling. I could never afford to buy a comparable property now. (7 acres, fenced/cross fenced, huge oak trees, 2200 sq ft house, private road, 1 mile from springs/small river) It is in a rural location which is certainly not for everyone.
Mostly I needed a change. My son was grown, my responsibilities were fewer, and for the first time in my adult life, I had time for just "me." I was very tired of the intense heat/humidity, almost daily thunderstorms, and mosquitoes from May to October. I had bad allergy problems year round. Mold can be a serious problem if you aren't proactive. The summer can be just as bad on your head as winter in the north, just flip flopped.
Despite what many people seem to really worry about, hurricanes are not a yearly thing. Sure they happen but in over 30 years, I had no serious issues related to hurricanes. In '04 the Gainesville area was affected by back to back tropical storms and the power was out for three days both times. That was my worst tropical weather/hurricane experience. I don't mean to sound complacent but you use common sense and prepare ahead of time. I had a generator so i had water (no city water out in the country), had my fridge/freezer, could make coffee, take a shower. Went through much worse storms in the winter in VT including 3 weeks w/out power due to a major nor'easter when I was in college.

In South Florida, I met 3 people who were actually native Floridians. 3. Most people were from the Midwest, New England, NJ, PA, and NY, including an older woman from Long Island who said, "You're not a southerner. Where are you from?" When I said Vermont she said, "Oh, how do you like the United States?" Ummmmmm....
Most of the people from New England I knew in SoFl returned to New England w/ a couple years. For whatever reason, most of the Midwesterners stayed. Just something I noticed.

In North Florida, most of the people I know are multigenerational Floridians. Many of them are fantastic people. Some of them are dirtbags, just like most places. Some things are not geographic.
Compared to the Northeast, Florida schools, in general, are fair to poor. However I do believe motivated kids will do well wherever they go to school. At the time my son was in school, the options were fewer than they are today with charter schools, magnet schools, and school choice. If i knew then what I know now about the schools, I would have very seriously considered moving back to the Northeast. Again, my experience w/ FL schools is not current.

Bugs- oh yeah, there are some HUGE bugs and spiders. I learned to deal w/ them but due to the sub-tropical environment, bugs are a fact of life. Mosquitoes can be fierce. One of my dogs ran into a brown recluse spider and had a wicked abscess. Black widow spiders love to hang out in the outside a/c unit and repairmen always were on the lookout. There may be fewer huge bugs in the more urban areas but god forbid if you have a nasty neighbor and get German roaches (little tiny ****ers that are tough to get rid of, never had any German or "regular" roaches when I moved out to the woods)
There are a number of bad snakes and I saw coral snakes, water moccasins, and pygmy rattlers in the urban areas as well as the woods. If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone for the most part.

Crime can happen anywhere, anytime. I had one incident, a bad one, shortly after I first arrived in FL. It was just one of those things. I witnessed street crime multiple times in SoFl but never had my house or car broke into. For some seriously dumb reason, it seems like many idiots who commit crimes in other states run to FL. I have no clue why because LE is not clueless there and the idiots are very often caught.
As far as drugs -if you don't hang w/ people who involve themselves, it isn't an issue. However, your kid will run into it through school but he/she will run into drugs through school in MA, too. Personally I don't consider weed a big deal although I didn't want my kid doing any substance prior to reaching adulthood. Like dirtbag people, drugs are not a geographic problem; they are everywhere.

Public transportation is virtually non-existent except for some improvements in SoFl. It's often difficult to realize you've passed through one town into another because the sprawl looks the same. Most of the urban areas have no real definable character or differences compared to cities like Boston or NYC or Philly. Sure, Miami has a "look" but it's so similar to Ft. Liquordale and Palm Beach county that it may as well all be called "greater Miami" just like the Rand McNally atlas labels the area from the northern Palm Beach county line to the southern Dade county line. St. Pete, Tampa, and Clearwater are somewhat different from southeast FL but sadly the sprawl has mostly taken over.

I've run into a lot of people who went to FL on vacation then pulled up stakes and moved. W/in a short time, they head back to wherever they came from. Day to day life in FL is not a vacation. The same problems they had just moved w/ them and FL was not the cure. Wages aren't great and unless you have skills that set you apart from the crowd, good jobs can be hard to come by. If you are bilingual or trilingual, you have a bit of an edge in some areas. It's almost a requirement to be bilingual for many jobs in SoFl.

I don't totally "hate" Florida and will continue to split my time between New England and Florida but will spend more time in NE. I'm very happy in my little place in MA, very pleased w/ what i have for the rent i pay and doubt I will ever buy property in MA. IMO, winter is very mild compared to where i grew up in VT and western MA.

IMHO, Paradise is in your heart and mind.

Best of luck to you, OP.
-izzy

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
VERY TRUE! But that's because they only have a limited amount of time, and they want to pack as much in as possible, which is understanding, but not an excuse to be jerks.
Anytime I ever visited Florida people were VERY nice to me and it wasn't like they knew I was a tourist because we were camping in Fort De Soto so it was when I went to the grocery store and package store(liquor store) everyone was very nice imo...don't forget I live in Mass where our people are known as M*******s so I know what rude is, people pride themselves on it up here actually lol when you call us M*******s we take as a compliment how crazy is that??!!!

Mkay that says Mass-h-o-l-e-s but they edited it out

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM

175 posts, read 313,401 times
In my opinion, most people who "hate" Florida either have an unrealistic view of living day to day in the state, or they simply can't afford it.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Take a look at what I deal with seeing day to day from the city I live in...this is why I want out but also why I was nervous if I was heading into the same situation just in a warmer area...needless to say you all have made me feel better (again) about my decision but take the time to scroll down to see all the day to day crimes that go on in my city and I DON'T live in Boston!!
Worcester Police Department (Official) - Worcester, MA - Government Organization | Facebook

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,193,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
What is Tampa considered? North,Central, or Southern Fl??
"South Florida" refers only to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach...(but I want to know what Naples is...because "some people" argue against geography that Naples/Fort Myers etc are not part of "South Florida". At least for the sake of "specifics" maps speak for themselves!)

Tampa is central west:
Attached Thumbnails
Why do so many people HATE Florida??-region-capture-7.jpg  

Last edited by algia; 02-04-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
"South Florida" refers only to Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach...(but I want to know what Naples is...because "some people" argue against geography that Napes/Fort Myers etc are not part of "South Florida". At least for the sake of "specifics" maps speak for themselves!)

Tampa is central west:
Oh okay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or