Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM

65 posts, read 268,218 times

Advertisements

Take a look at these links, and compare them to where you live. I included information about schools, crime and the overall information of the community. You can enter any city and town anywhere in the US.

Tampa, Fl
Tampa, FL schools - ratings for public & private schools - Trulia.com
Tampa, FL crimes - Trulia.com
Tampa Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

Worcester, MA
Worcester, MA schools - ratings for public & private schools - Trulia.com
Worcester, MA crimes - Trulia.com
Worcester Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM

552 posts, read 720,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
We've lived her for 7 months now. It's quite different from our hometown and has been a transition, but I can't say I regret it at all. Like everywhere, there are goods and bads. We transfered here with jobs so I'm sure that helped. I can't speak for every area of Tampa Bay as there's still a ton I've never seen, but I don't feel unsafe (we're currently in Land O Lakes) and have found most of our neighbors to be very friendly. The kids are finding friends at school, one more quickly than the other, but I can say the same about my husband and I. I think he had a harder time not knowing anyone when we got here than I did. Then again, I had neighbors, school teachers, etc. that went the extra mile knowing we were new. I'm not sure my husband gets that at work and could be the reason for our different feelings. Either way, we both agree this winter weather is heavenly. Summer is a beast, no doubt. We've enjoyed being so close to Disney and you could probably say we're still in a honeymoon phase exploring all the new things around us.

Renting when we got here was the best thing we could have done. While I do have nice neighbors and the house if fine, I don't like where it is. Too far out with crappy schools. Imagine if I had bought the house! Renting is allowing me to decide where I do want to be with good schools for the kids. In fact, after lots of exploring and research, we're working on buying a house in Trinity right now. It seems to be a good fit for our budget and family.

Anyway, I over-thought everything about our move here too. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I was as prepared as I could have been. I think it helped. Good luck!
Land O Lakes has some of the best schools in the area, what are you talking about?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
I personally dont like the area, but I am not a warm person. I have a nice neighborhood and friends here, and making the best of our time here, but we cant WAIT to leave. The list of things I like here is shorter than the list of things I dislike here, but luckily we military so we are only here for another year or so.

It all boils down to the fact that people here cant make your decision for you. I suggest you make a pro/con list and see what other cities (orlando,etc) may work for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM

175 posts, read 352,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I personally dont like the area, but I am not a warm person. I have a nice neighborhood and friends here, and making the best of our time here, but we cant WAIT to leave. The list of things I like here is shorter than the list of things I dislike here, but luckily we military so we are only here for another year or so.

It all boils down to the fact that people here cant make your decision for you. I suggest you make a pro/con list and see what other cities (orlando,etc) may work for you.
Well you are in Brandon, which is, of course, an unremarkable town. It is a safe and boring community suitable for raising children and hopping on the crosstown or I-75...that's it. There are many areas in Tampa that lend to an active and interesting lifestyle, Brandon just isn't one of them.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
Well you are in Brandon, which is, of course, an unremarkable town. It is a safe and boring community suitable for raising children and hopping on the crosstown or I-75...that's it. There are many areas in Tampa that lend to an active and interesting lifestyle, Brandon just isn't one of them.
That's exactly the neighborhood I was looking for and I'm quite pleased living where I am AT, but I would prefer the midwest. The amenities are not the issue with me, its the weather and the people (generally speaking). I'm used to the "midwest friendliness", there's just too much hustle and bustle for people to be kind here. Some people like the more active life style, we prefer the laid back approach.

Again, I certainly see the appeal for some, but this area is not right for us, and glad we are military. Its nice to see other areas, but we cant wait to get back "home" in the midwest --where there are seasons besides hot and less hot.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I don't hate FL, just hate the weather.
Me, too. And the politics, but mostly the weather. Other than that, I'm indifferent to Florida but I'm ready for a change.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM

166 posts, read 194,513 times
FL is my future home, no kids, no baggage...NJ sucks big time. FL, ahhh yes, give me a beach and palm trees and that is heaven..1 1/2 years to retirement, NO WORK for me..just relaxing until I die. Come on 60.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,484 times
I moved to Sarasota 6 months ago, I found a job within two weeks, making more than I did in California.
I love it! The people are kind, the weather is great, I love the pace, no traffic.. and cheaper gas, food, rent, etc!!!
I'm doing much better here than I was in California.
I'm not leaving Florida!!! It's wonderful, but I love laying on the beach every weekend, tanning and salsa dancing, so I fit right in here! I'm on the gulf side.
I guess it's most all about personality.. I guess I can find happiness anywhere I live. But hearing complaints of -2 degrees in Missouri from my friends, makes me realize how lucky I am..!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM

294 posts, read 542,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniagirlnFlorida View Post
I moved to Sarasota 6 months ago, I found a job within two weeks, making more than I did in California.
I love it! The people are kind, the weather is great, I love the pace, no traffic.. and cheaper gas, food, rent, etc!!!
I'm doing much better here than I was in California.
I'm not leaving Florida!!! It's wonderful, but I love laying on the beach every weekend, tanning and salsa dancing, so I fit right in here! I'm on the gulf side.
I guess it's most all about personality.. I guess I can find happiness anywhere I live. But hearing complaints of -2 degrees in Missouri from my friends, makes me realize how lucky I am..!
Sarasota seems like a hot spot...I hear of a lot of people going there and doing very well for themselves!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That reminds me of that Yogi Berraism:

No one goes to that restaurant anymore because it's always crowded.

If so many people hate Florida, why the population increase? There's got to be something good about the place (no state income tax, beautiful weather especially during winter, fall months), lower cost of living. You have to find your niche in the area. Certain parts of our area (Tampa/STP) are higher in crime, drugs, violence.

But there are communities where you can live safely, enjoy your lifestyle, and find contentment w/ your life.

There is no utopia in the United States as far as I know (I've lived from Hawaii to the furthest parts of the U.S. East Coast and points in between).
California's population continues to grow, 1% change from 2011 to 2012, they added 357,497.
Florida's population continues to grow, 1.23% from 2011 to 2012, they added 235,000.

I wouldn't exactly call California a desirable place to live right now, but people continue to move there. income tax, smog, crime, cost of living, and everything else. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's located on the coast and doesn't have blankets of snow. I think if South Dakota were on the coast, it would see massive relocation as well.

According to this data... http://www.edr.state.fl.us/Content/p...a/MSA_2012.pdf

The population increases in Florida has gone from 33.1% from 1980 to 1990, to 23.5% from 1990 to 2000, to 17.7% from 2000-2010, and 1.5% from 2010 to 2012. It looks like the relocation trend to Florida is starting to stall out, although people have predicted that it'll become solid again in the future when the economy finally recovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay