Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Gag! Now don't you feel sick to your stomach?

Not to disagree with you much, but in my recent job search I did see a lot of entry level warehouse jobs here for $10-$12/hr. The only minimum wage stuff I saw was McD's type things. Not that $10-$12/hr is anything great either, but that is what I have noticed for entry level/minimal education jobs.

I really hate this message I get every time I try to rep you.....
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TXRyan23 again.
I've heard people make the claims on this forum that McDonalds in Florida pays their employees $10-12/hr.

I know people in Florida that work at McDonalds and they both told me they were started at $8.20. Oh, and I agree that those jobs DO exist in Florida, but not nearly as many as other places that put more of an emphasis on industry, rather than tourism. Oh, and one more thing. I get that message trying to rep your posts as well, annoying, isn't it?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
That's why i said the East coast version of California! I don't think they're alike as much as they are both seen as the paradise state of their coast.
Yeah, that makes a bit more sense.

People see them both as a sunny, beach filled paradise. I thought you were being more direct in comparing them. My mistake.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I've heard people make the claims on this forum that McDonalds in Florida pays their employees $10-12/hr.

I know people in Florida that work at McDonalds and they both told me they were started at $8.20. Oh, and I agree that those jobs DO exist in Florida, but not nearly as many as other places that put more of an emphasis on industry, rather than tourism. Oh, and one more thing. I get that message trying to rep your posts as well, annoying, isn't it?

I agree. I haven't seen any $10-$12/hr McD's jobs here for sure.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM

50 posts, read 199,059 times
Went from Brooklyn to LA, California then to Tampa, FL in my 4th grade year alone, thanks mom! Point is, I've been here since 1990, and the reason why I dislike Florida...

1 - The people...Florida is a sunny place for shady people...growing up in Brooklyn I knew all my neighbors, down here people are very stick up the ass-ish...I've tried reaching out, (I've lived all over both Pacsco, Tampa and St. Pete...) and everyone is very to themselves. The minute people cross the Florida border they lose their sense of respect towards one another...Florida is just one giant dirty dive bar...be careful who you consider friends!

2 - Whatever charm Florida used to have, is now gone...I remember when Tampa was a cow-town...that old southern charm is gone...Florida has no identity what so ever...either your a cracker or you're Spanish and don't speak an ounce of Englisia...no culture at ALL! This is the farthest thing from the South...phooey!.

3 - Sprawl...don't get me started.

4 - Drugs, yes it's all over the country but boy do we have a massive drug problem in this state...take a ride in morning traffic and watch how many pill heads are weaving...normal business like looking people running around all jacked up on something...

5 - Job market - Fail...

I can go on and on and on...but I've been here for almost 24 years and all I know is that Florida has changed, for the worse...2 more months of this place and I'm gone for good...yippee! Feel free to take my place! Good luck! The state itself is beautiful, the beaches, the wildlife but it's not enough...Florida is flaky...good riddance! I'll be back to visit friends and family but that's about it!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPirate View Post
Went from Brooklyn to LA, California then to Tampa, FL in my 4th grade year alone, thanks mom! Point is, I've been here since 1990, and the reason why I dislike Florida...

1 - The people...Florida is a sunny place for shady people...growing up in Brooklyn I knew all my neighbors, down here people are very stick up the ass-ish...I've tried reaching out, (I've lived all over both Pacsco, Tampa and St. Pete...) and everyone is very to themselves. The minute people cross the Florida border they lose their sense of respect towards one another...Florida is just one giant dirty dive bar...be careful who you consider friends!

2 - Whatever charm Florida used to have, is now gone...I remember when Tampa was a cow-town...that old southern charm is gone...Florida has no identity what so ever...either your a cracker or you're Spanish and don't speak an ounce of Englisia...no culture at ALL! This is the farthest thing from the South...phooey!.

4 - Drugs, yes it's all over the country but boy do we have a massive drug problem in this state...take a ride in morning traffic and watch how many pill heads are weaving...normal business like looking people running around all jacked up on something...

5 - Job market - Fail...

I can go on and on and on...but I've been here for almost 24 years and all I know is that Florida has changed, for the worse...2 more months of this place and I'm gone for good...yippee! Feel free to take my place! Good luck! The state itself is beautiful, the beaches, the wildlife but it's not enough...Florida is flaky...good riddance! I'll be back to visit friends and family but that's about it!
I won't even bother to debate anything you posted, as it is obvious you have made up your mind about what "you" "think" is wrong with the Tampa Bay area.

However, given that you can't make up your mind where you actually want to be...Tampa, Austin, Denver, Nashville, etc.....I am not sure moving away is going to make you a happy camper. There may be more to it than your particular location.

Good luck going forward and I hope you find true happiness. BTW - you need to look inside for that. It's not outside yourself.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM

50 posts, read 199,059 times
Hey that's fantastic, maybe since you don't know where I am moving you should ask, I'll be in Nashville in May...and as for "what I think", I'm not the only one, considering "old Florida" is moving out of this state in droves...secondly, it's pretty sad that you can't even stick to the subject at hand, and say your thoughts or "debate" and go straight to attacking someone, you're not a shrink so please please please don't pretend to be, you know nothing about me, what I've been through or who I am...I'm very happy in fact I'm ecstatic...even more ecstatic for moving away from the typical stuck up Florida idiot mentality which you have so gratefully proven to me...I'm glad you enjoy it here, you seem to fit in just fine...please stay and feel free to play shrink to someone who is willing to deal with your bullbutter. I'm leaving a high paying job, my own place in Downtown St. Pete, my friends, my family and I am ECSTATIC to get out of this sand trap! So yippee! ,,I,,

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

5 - Job market - Fail...

Quote:
Hey that's fantastic, maybe since you don't know where I am moving you should ask, I'll be in Nashville in May...and as for "what I think", I'm not the only one, considering "old Florida" is moving out of this state in droves...secondly, it's pretty sad that you can't even stick to the subject at hand, and say your thoughts or "debate" and go straight to attacking someone, you're not a shrink so please please please don't pretend to be, you know nothing about me, what I've been through or who I am...I'm very happy in fact I'm ecstatic...even more ecstatic for moving away from the typical stuck up Florida idiot mentality which you have so gratefully proven to me...I'm glad you enjoy it here, you seem to fit in just fine...please stay and feel free to play shrink to someone who is willing to deal with your bullbutter. I'm leaving a high paying job, my own place in Downtown St. Pete, my friends, my family and I am ECSTATIC to get out of this sand trap! So yippee! ,,I,,
Oh, I did know where you are moving. I also know you were considering all the other places I posted. That's why I posted them specifically.

Insults? Sorry my dear, I did not insult you at all. I said I hope you find true happiness. That is a kind thing to say and was most sincere. I want everyone to be happy. Everyone deserves to be happy. PS look at your posts in this thread. Calling people stuck up the a$$-ish or stuck up idiots or "crackers" could be considered insulting. Just in case you missed some of the kind things "you" posted, I bolded and highlighted them. Pot meet kettle I think.

Shrink? No, not playing a shrink on a forum. Just wishing you the best and true happiness and knowing that it always comes from within.

Anyhow, Nashville is a great place. We have vacationed there and really enjoyed it. Odd thing about it though, is that many of the same complaints registered in the Tampa Bay forum are also registered there...IE bad economy, hard to find jobs, pay is too low, etc, etc, etc. Like I have said in other threads, people complain. It's human nature. The same complaints on this forum are found in every single forum. Some valid, some void of facts.

We love the Tampa Bay area. It is great for warm weather loving outdoors people like us. I hope you will enjoy Nashville as well. I seriously do wish the best for you and everyone. Why wouldn't I? It's the only way to be.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 03-14-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Good luck in Nashville! It's a beautiful city and the best place I've ever lived. I've been thinking about heading back up that way myself!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Oh, I did know where you are moving. I also know you were considering all the other places I posted. That's why I posted them specifically.

Insults? Sorry my dear, I did not insult you at all. I said I hope you find true happiness. That is a kind thing to say and was most sincere. I want everyone to be happy. Everyone deserves to be happy. PS look at your posts in this thread. Calling people stuck up the a$$-ish or stuck up idiots or "crackers" could be considered insulting. Just in case you missed some of the kind things "you" posted, I bolded and highlighted them. Pot meet kettle I think.

Shrink? No, not playing a shrink on a forum. Just wishing you the best and true happiness and knowing that it always comes from within.

Anyhow, Nashville is a great place. We have vacationed there and really enjoyed it. Odd thing about it though, is that many of the same complaints registered in the Tampa Bay forum are also registered there...IE bad economy, hard to find jobs, pay is too low, etc, etc, etc. Like I have said in other threads, people complain. It's human nature. The same complaints on this forum are found in every single forum. Some valid, some void of facts.

We love the Tampa Bay area. It is great for warm weather loving outdoors people like us. I hope you will enjoy Nashville as well. I seriously do wish the best for you and everyone. Why wouldn't I? It's the only way to be.

"Sorry my dear"..............are you sure you're not a woman?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
OK. Are you saying that such jobs do not exist in most major cities including those in FL?

It seems that you advocate higher wages for entry level positions and I agree, we all should be paid more. $10 an hour minimum sound reasonable. I believe FL ranks 12th on the list of highest paying minimum wage states.

There are approximately 1/4 of a mil minimum wage workers in Florida's 7.49 million strong work force. That is a very small percentage of the work force. Not to say that many more are in the $8-10 range, but the Census will tell us that the median house hold income in FL is $47,827.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Depends on you idea of "high", There are 8 states with a minimum wage of $8.00/hr. or higher..

I receive job notifications in my e-mail daily from several staffing agencies in my area that I signed up with when I moved here, I see daily job offers posted for entry level warehouse and customer service jobs starting at $11.00/hr.

That may not be "high pay" to some, but for the millions working at Walmart's or Burger King's, I'm sure that would be a pretty hefty raise.

Of course, those are job listings in Texas, not Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay